The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

This second winter is horribly cold and wet. The later creating the most mischief with my resolve; however, I find my resolve renewed at the possibility of great adventure. The life of a warrior poet on a whim of a journey.

With my face wrapped tightly in a wool shawl, "The snow here is teetering on the edge of ruin. If we try to recover them... We will bring down the entire face of this cliff. I suggest we not tarry and move quickly through this area."

Try as you might to prevent the snowpack from a second, titanic avalanche, it is to no avail. Even the feathery tread of dextrous elven footfalls sets the entire pack into a mass of heaving boulders, razor sharp ice, and smothering snow.

You run up the avalanche with preternatural grace and balance but shards of ice bite into flesh and bounding rocks hammer (go ahead and apply armor - so you take 6 damage instead of 8) into you. While a normal man would be torn to pieces, superhuman body control and acrobatics save you. A last dash of hope as your only option is a flailing dive and grasp for the cliff face as the entire pass worth of snow falls away from your feet.

[sblock]Going to need DD (Str mostly likely but maybe Con). On a 7 - 9, pick one for your complication:

- Your elven bow is lost in the effort.

- As you pull yourself up the cliff-face, you come face to face with a Winter Wolf alpha and his pack!

After that, or if you get a 10 +, immediately precede by telling me what you're doing (your next Move). If you get a 6-, hold tight while I bring the suck.[/sblock]

@Binks , Need to know what you're doing to get out of this unsavory predicament!

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
@Binks , Need to know what you're doing to get out of this unsavory predicament!

Sparing no pause, I turn to sprint toward the cliffs flanking the pass and leap to the stone. Grasping handful after handful of icy stone, I'm a spider on the vertical wall, shadowing my companion's run up the collapsing snow.

[sblock]
Defy Danger (Str)
5 + 5 + 0 = 10
[/sblock]

As the landslide of snow, ice, and boulders falls away from him, I see Otthor take a leap of faith toward the cliff face. Tenacity and my elven grace aid me as I scurry to an intercepting point. I hook my boots around some rocks and reach out to him, stretching my frame to its limits.

[sblock]
Aid (+ 2 bond)
2 + 1 + 2 = 5

Marked 1 xp

...I clearly should stay away from this elf. He is just trouble.[/sblock]

Let me know what happens.

Going to need @Tecklenburg 's resolution of his DD to find out how he comes out of this tumble.

[sblock]On a 10 +, you're good to go and you've kept your feet, wits, equipment.

On a 7-9, you're on your feet on the landing, but as you feel for the hilts of your blades on your weapon belt, you realize that they aren't there. A quick look down reveals that you buckle has come free in the action and your belt (and the weapons on them) is hanging precariously from a branch on the face of the cliff...perhaps just out of arms reach of you. Your bow and your quiver of arrows (either on your back or latched on a belt around your thigh/quad) are still in place.

Saerie has taken a slide/tumble down an icy chute and is at the bottom of a ravine, looking up at a large Winter Wolf (as big as a horse) and his subrodinate pack.

On a 6-, the same thing except you're in a heap with Saerie at the bottom of the icy chute...looking up at the maw of the great magical beast.[/sblock]

@Binks , you successfully grab and bring your companion to the landing, but the impact and the icy ground beneath you take your feet from you. Suddenly you're sliding down an icy chute that runs perpendicular to this landing (which follows the cliff-face). You come to rest on your hands and knees in a snow-filled ravine. During the summer thaw, this is a stream, rich with meltwater runoff.

You smell strangely chilled breath on the back of your neck. The first thing you see is an enormous, white, nasty clawed paw. When you bring your eyes up, you're face to face with the muzzle of a great Winter Wolf (hand range).

The fantastic creature bares its three inch fangs and snarls; "...what have we here? A free meal before we leave this maddened realm? Not much meat on her bones but, how do the humans say it?...never look a gift horse in the mouth?"

Again, you're at hand range, so if you're going to try to get out of that range, you're going to have to Defy some Danger!

Let me know you guys' Moves.

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
[sblock]Defy Danger
3,6 +1 = 10[/sblock]

Assisted by my companion, I make the cliff face undeterred; however, I immediately see the dire consequences of her actions. Following her down the icy chute, I bring my elven bow to sight and take aim at the fanged beast.

[sblock]Volley
1,6 +1 = 8

Taking several shots I manage to inflict 4 dmg on the Winter Wolf[/sblock]

Binks

Explorer
I tear my elven longknife from my boot-sheath and from one knee, underneath the muzzle of the great creature, I say:

"I think you'll find that this prey fights back...and has teeth of its own." My companion sliding down the chute behind a hail of arrows and my bear loping angrily from the cliffs toward the ravine puts the proof to my promise. "But we needn't be enemies. We each have something the other wants. You want out of this place but the pass to the lowlands is now blocked. I know another way.

[sblock]Parlay (- 1)
5 + 4 - 1 = 8

My leverage over him is that I know a passable way out of the highlands.[/sblock]

Assuming his posture eases, I'll stand before him and dust the snow off myself. As my bear draws near and my companion reaches the bottom of the chute, I'll put my hand up to assure no further aggression.

"Maddened realm? I would know the meaning of those words and what you know of the fate of the human settlement here. Tell me this and you'll have your escape from whatever madness it is you are leading your pack away from."

If the assurances that the beast requires aren't egregious, I'll gladly grant them. I'm sure I've hunted the lowlands on the way here. I'll give up a use of Dungeon Rations (as dried hare jerky or something) if they are starving or hungry and want some easy food.

[sblock]Spout Lore (+1)
6 + 1 + 1 = 8

I know one interesting thing of which I'm making useful on my own.[/sblock]

If he tells us, I'll let him know that this frozen stream expands to a river and runs to a precipice where a waterfall washes over the sheer, high cliffs to the lowlands below. At the base of the falls there is a simple cave system that empties out up here where the stream widens to a river.

I won't tell him about the gigantic Gelatinous Cube that calls the place home...

If Otthor has anything to add here that doesn't involve rolling the dice :p, it would be welcome @Tecklenburg .

Last edited:

Despite the (seemingly puny) arrow protruding from its massive left shoulder, the great white wolf lets you stand up and address him without aggression. His eyes never leave Otthor and when you finish, he speaks with a snarl. "My pack is starved." This is clear enough as the flanks of every wolf, even the great Winter Wolf, show protruding ribs. "You'll find very little hunting if you continue your path. Its all been consumed. There is no prey. Only predator. I've lost many warriors."

He turns to regard his ravenous, teeth-baring, mundane pack. "They cannot understand your tongue." He looks back at you and narrows his lupine eyes. "The two directly behind me (two dire wolves) are competitors for my position. I am old, tired, and much weakened. They've sown dissention in my pack, openly accusing my leadership for our condition. They secretly call me a coward for leaving our homeland. They're foolish pups."

His gaze sets back upon Otthor. "Blood for blood. I will agree to your terms, but you do not get to shed the blood of my pack without spilling your own. You, and just you, will fight my two usurpers. They will either tear you to pieces and we will feast...or you will remove two thorns from my side. Either way, you must fight as a token of good faith for our bargain."

[sblock]This is obviously the condition that you must fulfill to provide them concrete assurance of your committment to the parley for the 7-9 result.[/sblock]

What is your response, both of you [MENTION=6781356]Tecklenburg[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION]?

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Keeping my bow and arrow at the ready; I await authorization from Saerie to assault the two dire wolves.

My reaction will be instantaneous to her acceptance of the bargain.

Per Binks:
Saerie has no doubt I can defeat the dire wolves...she looks back at me and nods grimly.

Per Manbearcat
The pack spreads out along the ice sheet to give us space. The two dire wolves hungrily step forth to meet my challenge. They circle me as I step forward onto the frozen stream.

They're in Reach range.

Before they can spring their trap, I explode into action. My bow changes places with my curved elven longsword in a flash and I slice the air before me and grasp the energy that binds all things in the other hand. That hand opens and I fling it out wide. One wolf goes with it, tossed across the frozen ice, still alive but sliding away from me and the remaining wolf.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int)
3,5+3 = 11
4 damage - 1 armor = 3 dmg

Technique 1: Burst. 2 dmg and Forceful tag
Technique 2: Soul Siphoning. 1 HP returned to me.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The dire wolf you flung slides into the other side of the ravine, dislodging snow that covers him. He's out of the fight for the moment.

Without its partner to complete its cunning encircling of the prey, the other beast charges you with reckless abandon. Close Range.

I take full advantage. Its leader wanted more blood. I'll give it to them. But my steel will do the tasting.

[sblock]Flawless Bladework (Int)
2,4+3 = 9
8 damage - 1 armor = 7 dmg. Its dead but it counterattacks.

Technique 1: Torrential. Counterattack if it attacks me. Its dead anyway.

Dire Wolf
b[2d6] = 1, 1. 1 - 2 armor = 0 damage to me[/sblock]

The edge of my elven blade paints a line of red across the white snow and ice. The jaws of the wolf reach for my forearm but I neatly spin away. All it has left to do is draw its last breath.

Per Manbearcat
The remaining, injured wolf gets up from across the way and shakes itself free of the snow. It howls a great howl and charges, teeth bared. Near Range.

I perform the kata that has won a hundred duels and my blade screams through the cold winter air, ensorcelled with magic.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int)
1,2+3 = 6

6 - fails. Marked 1 xp[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat:
The weight of the charging wolf is too much for a thin spot in the ice and it gives way. Suddenly we're both knee deep in freezing waters. He seems to care not at all and his jaws snap forward for my throat. He smashes into me and we're suddenly in a heap in the icy water.

* 1d4 environmental damage - no armor.
* Forceful tag.
* Hand Range so no Flawless Bladework and to tight for Elven Longsword's range.

[sblock]3 dmg enviromental to me.[/sblock]

Fending the jaws of the huge wolf from my throat with my sword, I reach down and grab my elven longknife from my boot. It comes free.

[sblock]Hack n Slash (Dex)
1,3 + 1 = 5

6 - fails. Marked 1 xp[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat:
The great wolf leans its massive weight into me but I fend off its jaws from ripping my throat out. In the desperate melee my sword arm is flung wide and it slides from grasp.

[sblock]Dire Wolf
* b[2d6] = 1, 2. 2 - 2 armor = 0 damage to me.
* disarmed of elven longsword.[/sblock]

My mind looks around for an out. I see directly above us there is a pile of snow in the fir trees branches. I could easily knock it free with a flick of my wrist. Just as I prepare to launch my weapon, the beast makes a fatal mistake and my weapon finds a better home into its neck and severing its brain stem.

[sblock]Hack n Slash (Dex)
2,6 + 1 = 9
7 damage - 1 armor = 6 dmg

Dire Wolf counterattack
b[2d6] 2,2 vs armor 2 = 0 damage[/sblock]

I swiftly roll out from under it before the lifeless beast can crush me under its dead weight. I pick up my blade from the ground, sheathe both of them and walk towards Saerie. As I do, I nimbly remove my elven chain and completely shuck myself of all of wet clothes, unashamed of my naked form. The song of battle still pumps my body with heated blood so I don't notice the bite of the cold...but that will not last. I unravel my rolled, dry winter clothes and cloak from my pack and adorn them (marked 1 Adventuring Gear off to avoid a Defy Danger Con for the cold). As I look toward the gathering storm in the interior, I let Saerie handle the rest of the business with this Winter Wolf and his pack. When we're ready to set off, I follow.

Last edited:

As soon as Otthor walks away from the death he wrought, the Winter Wolf savagely tears into one of the Dire Wolf's corpses, gorging on the fresh meat of his former challengers. The other wolves in the pack understand the feeding custom and they don't approach either slain beast until he has had his fill. When he finishes, he moves away to clean his bloodied muzzle and paws, to tear the arrow from his shoulder with his mouth, and to make way for his pack to revitalize themselves. When the carnage ceases, he addresses you.

"You are dangerous. You may yet survive your journey inland. Take me to this place you speak of and I will tell you what I know along the way."

The journey is not terribly long, perhaps an hour. The cold bites at your bones as the howling winds are funneled terribly into your face in this channel in the mountains, carved by the seasonally active river. Its mid-day and at its warmest. When it gets close to sundown, you're going to both need to Defy Danger (Con) for the cold unless you seek shelter for the evening.

Along the way, the once-mighty leader of this retreating pack tells you the following:

1) The madness he was referring to seems to be centralized to bodies of water. The great glacial runoff in the deep interior (you don't know this place but he tells you its a few days travel inland) is the watering hole for most of the beasts of this land. Herds of reindeer would stampede each other and tear each other, and themselves, to pieces. Mothers consuming younglings. The natural order has been completely upended. He has kept his pack away from these places and they've survived because of it.

2) The humans that you asked him about live on the second largest body of water in these lands. Were the circumstances different, he would have been inclined to brave their huntsmens' traps and arrows to pluck off a stray child or weakling. However, after the events at the northern watering hole, he kept away from the human's home and the body of water they resided on. He expects that they've slaughtered each other.

3) If they haven't slaughtered each other, they must have fled their home. Perhaps they went to the Coldlands; the unforgiving realm on the higher elevations at the farthest northern reaches. Some time ago, a great and unnatural construct appeared on the stoney reaches just below the mountain peak; an obelisk, black as night with no signs of doors or windows. Foolishly curious, he led his pack there. When they arrived, it was as they had seen from the distance except there were strange markings that flowed along it. The markings came and went as they looked upon them. Two of their numbers couldn't take their eyes away. They stood their. Staring. Unresponsive. They waited a short while for them and when they still didn't respond, he led the remnants of his, quite spooked, pack out of their as swiftly as he could.

When you arrive at the cave to the lowlands, the Winter Wolf leads his pack in. He briefly looks back at you when he reaches the cave's mouth, perhaps a sign of respect, and then disappears inside with the rest of his pack.

Alright. What are you guys doing? You've been to the human settlement up here so getting back there would be (a) a half days trek and (b) Undertaking a Perilous Journey. You have little more than 4 hours left of daylight, the storm casts an ominous bent to the horizon, and its about to get terribly cold. Let me know what you guys are doing @Tecklenburg and @Binks.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
2) The humans that you asked him about live on the second largest body of water in these lands. Were the circumstances different, he would have been inclined to brave their huntsmens' traps and arrows to pluck off a stray child or weakling. However, after the events at the northern watering hole, he kept away from the human's home and the body of water they resided on. He expects that they've slaughtered each other.

Alright. What are you guys doing? You've been to the human settlement up here so getting back there would be (a) a half days trek and (b) Undertaking a Perilous Journey. You have little more than 4 hours left of daylight, the storm casts an ominous bent to the horizon, and its about to get terribly cold. Let me know what you guys are doing @Tecklenburg and @Binks.

When the pack of wolves has fully disappeared in the earthen tunnel, I scratch Rawr's meaty head behind his ears and thump his muscled flank. I say to Otthor: "We can evade that storm if we head out immediately."

I cast my eyes skyward and take in the details of the angry clouds.

[sblock]Discern Realities (Wis)

2, 3 + 2 = 7. 1 question to be answered.

* What is about to happen? Take + 1 when acting on the answer.

Specifically, I'm speaking of a weather forecast.[/sblock]

"The winds will be eastwardly. The darkened gatherings of the sky bear the signs of a plodding behemoth so we can stay just ahead of it if we move swiftly. I know the trek to the settlement and can lead us even with the gathering gloom and no starlight."

I look squarely at my friend and take the measure of him. His courage and excellence in battle are without match. They fill me with confidence. His humility and unflinching dedication to his companions fill me with the pride that comes from appreciation of family. He reminds me of Rawr. I hold back a chuckle at the thought.

"You take point and be ready my friend. We will be downwind for any skulking predators on our eastern flank so keep your eyes keenly aware of dangers there and keep your presence masked. Nothing should be on our western flank as all natural things will hide from the coming storm."

[sblock]I'm using the information gathered and the + 1 from Discern Realities above to Aid Otthor's scouting.

Aid (bond)
3, 6 + 3 = 12. Otthot takes + 1 to his Scout role in Undertake a Perilous Journey.[/sblock]

[sblock]Undertake a Perilous Journey (Wis)

Elven Ranger Move: When you undertake a perilous journey through wilderness whatever job you take you succeed as if you rolled a 10+.

UaPJ 10 + on Trailblazer Role: The trailblazer reduces the amount of time it takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much).

The trek is typically half a day, so this should reduce it to 6 hours, give or take.[/sblock]

So, if you're good with that @Tecklenburg , we set out straight away with me trailblazing and you scouting. You just need to roll your Scout check with my + 1 from Aid. I assume we're agreed that (until I get the Move that lets me assume two roles on UaPJ) Quartermaster is the role that we're always going to eschew and thus sustain an auto-fail? Let me know if you prefer an alternative to what I've proposed.

Per Manbearcat:
Due to the trek being so short from your Trailblazer check, I'll allow for no marking off of rations. However, your auto-fail with the Quartermaster Role will cost you each 1 Ration and 1 other supply; 1 Ammo or Adventuring Gear. Your choice. Describe it upon your arrival to the settlement (assuming Otthor doesn't fail his Scout check...but that may be asking for too much!).

** UPDATE **

Per Tecklenburg
Agreed. We set out immediately and Otthor will Scout.

[sblock]Undertake a Perilous Journey (Wis)

2, 5 + 1 (from Aid) = 8

UaPJ 7-9 on Scout Role: no one gets the drop on you but you don’t get the drop on them either.[/sblock]

Last edited:

[MENTION=6781356]Tecklenburg[/MENTION] , results of:

[sblock]Results of your 8 on UaPJ Scout Role: On a 7-9, no one gets the drop on you but you don’t get the drop on them either.[/sblock]

The trek to the interior toward the settlement is bereft of signs of either predator or passage of mundane creatures. Before they can complicate your lives, you locate a few areas of a "false floor" or other treacherous, snowy hazards and signal the same to Saerie.so you both deftly circumvent them. The storm remains on your left flank for the entirety, and you stay ahead of it. No predators, if there are any out there, smell you out or spot your transit.

However, the home stretch of your journey, just as the horizon has fully consumed the sun, is marked by a strange encounter. As you crest a long, shallow incline, you take in a vast, white expanse. The land is pocked intermittently by glacial deposition from ages long since past. In one of these rocky outcroppings you see something strange. Disgusting looking gore lies on the ground directly beneath a ruptured membrane that is clung tautly to the rocks in various places, elevating it off the ground. At first glance, there doesn't appear to be tracks leading to this place, surely a casualty of the wind, snowfall, etc. Leading out, there are awkward, gore-stained tracks that are difficult to discern (locomotion, type, etc).

Do you (1) investigate it further (by yourself or waiting for Saerie), (2) mark it in your mind and move on (transitioning us directly to the settlement and the end of the UaPJ), or (3) something else?

Both of you guys pick your loss from QM failure in your follow-up post please (either AG or Ammo) and describe it.

Remove ads