The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

Saerie

Per Manbearcat
The brownies begin to respond but then suddenly shrink back as the circular front door to Old Man Barnum's quaint home flies open revealing the form and visage of a very displeased, overall-wearing and staff-toting Satyr.

Continuing...

His cloven hooves make a distinct <thump thump> as he steps onto his porch. His backswept horns are made less prominant by a desheveled mane of hair that sticks out in all directions and drapes his form as it spills over the front of his overalls.

He snarls "...varmints", throws his head back, holds his staff before him and raises his hands skyward. An incantation that invokes Baba Yaga, The Queen of Witches and master of lost lore, begins to slither out between his clenched teeth. The eternal sunshine that pervades this area of the Feywild begins to dim...

The brownies and grig breath in a collective hush and duck for cover in the tall grasses outside of the ruined fields and pigpens.

Otthor

Per Tecklenburg
I'm quickly exiting the balcony, we're rushing down the sprialing stair and heading straight for the living quarters of the Avel' lethelin boy. I'm hoping to get there before the guard has grabbed him and taken him away.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Dex)
4, 1 +3 = 8

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Hand in hand, you and Sadia rush down the titanic silver branches, descend spiraling staircases, and navigate a sparkling portal or two. At long last, you attain egress to lower Senialesse and arrive unaccosted.

When you reach the last remnant of the Avel' lethelin estate, a humble bungalo where the lower branches of the great tree that hoists Senialesse merge with an isolated meadow, the boy is standing at the threshold of his home, "entertaining" a pair of Eladrin guards. He is wearing a scowl on his face as the two guards' each have a hand resting uneasily on the pommel of the sheathed sword that adorns their respective hips.

[sblock]While the guard hasn't taken him away, things are clearly escalating. Surely they've revealed to him the reason of their arrival, thus your Charm spell will have lost its magic.[/sblock]

Binks

Explorer
Saerie

Continuing...

His cloven hooves make a distinct <thump thump> as he steps onto his porch. His backswept horns are made less prominant by a desheveled mane of hair that sticks out in all directions and drapes his form as it spills over the front of his overalls.

He snarls "...varmints", throws his head back, holds his staff before him and raises his hands skyward. An incantation that invokes Baba Yaga, The Queen of Witches and master of lost lore, begins to slither out between his clenched teeth. The eternal sunshine that pervades this area of the Feywild begins to dim...

The brownies and grig breathe in a collective hush and duck for cover in the tall grasses outside of the ruined fields and pigpens.

Inwardly, I think to myself "Baba Yaga? The Firbolg said Sadia is 'marked.' If she is cursed or there is some unknown fate that goes along with those dreams, then maybe this Old Man Barnum can read some bones or see an image in a bubbling cauldron or something..."

Outwardly, I throw my coin purse toward him demonstrably so its many coins jingle audibly and spill out onto the porch in plain sight. "WAIT! I CAN FIX THIS WITHOUT BLOODSHED!"

[sblock]Trying to set him up for a Parley move with leverage being all that $.

Defy Danger (Cha)
5, 1 -1 = 5

Mark 1 xp[/sblock]

EDIT - ummmm...I didn't have my sheet with me and I forgot my Cha was -1 instead of +1...

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Otthor

Hand in hand, you and Sadia rush down the titanic silver branches, descend spiraling staircases, and navigate a sparkling portal or two. At long last, you attain egress to lower Senialesse and arrive unaccosted.

When you reach the last remnant of the Avel' lethelin estate, a humble bungalo where the lower branches of the great tree that hoists Senialesse merge with an isolated meadow, the boy is standing at the threshold of his home, "entertaining" a pair of Eladrin guards. He is wearing a scowl on his face as the two guards' each have a hand resting uneasily on the pommel of the sheathed sword that adorns their respective hips.

[sblock]While the guard hasn't taken him away, things are clearly escalating. Surely they've revealed to him the reason of their arrival, thus your Charm spell will have lost its magic.[/sblock]

Before we turn the corner, I stoop down and whisper to Sadia. "Stay here, my dear. I'll be right back." I then casually walk around the corner toward the two guards; a mid-ranking lieutenant and a low-ranking corporal. As I near them I think to myself...I really wish I wouldn't have just gotten rid of my badge...

"Gentlemen." I'm looking at the ranking lieutenant. "I just left a meeting with Her Grace, Queen Tiandra and her council. I will take it from here."

[sblock]Defy Danger (Cha)
5, 2 +1 = 8

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

Also, while I've renounced my positions as Master Arcane Duelist of the Summer Court and Shiradi Champion, I'm wondering if I can still use Audience With the Summer Queen until the fey anointment is formally undone by her? If I can, I'm going to appeal to her if this doesn't go well. She is still my ally.[/sblock]

Inwardly, I think to myself "Baba Yaga? The Firbolg said Sadia is 'marked.' If she is cursed or there is some unknown fate that goes along with those dreams, then maybe this Old Man Barnum can read some bones or see an image in a bubbling cauldron or something..."

Outwardly, I throw my coin purse toward him demonstrably so its many coins jingle audibly and spill out onto the porch in plain sight. "WAIT! I CAN FIX THIS WITHOUT BLOODSHED!"

[sblock]Trying to set him up for a Parley move with leverage being all that $.

Defy Danger (Cha)
5, 1 -1 = 5

Mark 1 xp[/sblock]

EDIT - ummmm...I didn't have my sheet with me and I forgot my Cha was -1 instead of +1...

SAERIE

The dimness peels back and the warm light reclaims its place as the dramatic gesticulations and invocations of the satyr cease at once. A raised eyebrow and sort of a "hmm" look spreads over his face.

He reaches down with his staff and hooks the strings of your coin purse. He tosses the weighty thing up into the air and catches it, making a brief face of delight when he feels the hefty mass in his hand.

Without any form of acknowledgement or any care for negotiation, he abruptly "about faces". Despite any protests, he walks back through the open door which, driven by unseen provocation, slams shut behind him.

The few stray coins (the spilled ones - lets call it 6) of your 200 coin-laden purse are all that remain...

Before we turn the corner, I stoop down and whisper to Sadia. "Stay here, my dear. I'll be right back." I then casually walk around the corner toward the two guards; a mid-ranking lieutenant and a low-ranking corporal. As I near them I think to myself...I really wish I wouldn't have just gotten rid of my badge...

"Gentlemen." I'm looking at the ranking lieutenant. "I just left a meeting with Her Grace, Queen Tiandra and her council. I will take it from here."

[sblock]Defy Danger (Cha)
5, 2 +1 = 8

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

Also, while I've renounced my positions as Master Arcane Duelist of the Summer Court and Shiradi Champion, I'm wondering if I can still use Audience With the Summer Queen until the fey anointment is formally undone by her? If I can, I'm going to appeal to her if this doesn't go well. She is still my ally.[/sblock]

OTTHOR

Despite your present lack of heraldry, the lieutenant and the corporal both recognize your authority, likely displaying special deference given your status at the epicenter of this. They part ways and bow to you, arms extended indicating that the prisoner is yours to claim.

They aren't the problem.

The boy's eyes grow wide and begin to simmer with ire. "I'll be going nowhere with any of you!" He hops back and kicks the door shut. The sound of his feet sprinting across wooden planks can be heard within.

[sblock]Sure, you can still have Audience With the Summer Queen. Your fey anointment, and the power that comes with it, hasn't been formally rebuked at this point.[/sblock]

Tecklenburg

Explorer
OTTHOR

Despite your present lack of heraldry, the lieutenant and the corporal both recognize your authority, likely displaying special deference given your status at the epicenter of this. They part ways and bow to you, arms extended indicating that the prisoner is yours to claim.

They aren't the problem.

The boy's eyes grow wide and begin to simmer with ire. "I'll be going nowhere with any of you!" He hops back and kicks the door shut. The sound of his feet sprinting across wooden planks can be heard within.

[sblock]Sure, you can still have Audience With the Summer Queen. Your fey anointment, and the power that comes with it, hasn't been formally rebuked at this point.[/sblock]

[sblock]Audience With the Summer Queen isn't necessary now, but good to know.[/sblock]

I would have some level of familiarity with the construction of these types of bungalows I would think. I'm thinking on points of entrance and egress.

[sblock]Spout Lore (Int)
4, 3 +3 = 10

the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Front door and rear door with small porthole windows on both sides and a large, draped bay window on the rear that would make the quickest egress in such a situation.

I quickly dismiss the corporal and lieutenant. "I've got this." I leap up, grab the eave and flip myself onto the roof as I shout to Sadia over my shoulder. "Stay there Sadia!"

My intent is to quickly scurry up this slope of the roof and slide down the other slope, diving on the boy to intercept him as he exits the bay window on the opposite side.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Dex)
5, 6 + 3 = 14[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You do just that.

You both go down in a heap with you having top control. He is thrashing mightily to get his hands free from your grip on his wrists. His teeth gnash as he tries to bite one of your controlling hands. "Get <URMPH> off of <URMPH> me!"

I lean in with intense eyes and with as much paternal firmness as I can muster I say:

"They will brand you on the face, exile you, and bury your family name forever. You come with me, I will teach you what I know and we will redeem your family name. Your choice, but make it quickly."

I let him up.

Per Manbearcat
[sblock]You don't have to make a Parley move as that leverage is especially significant and the circumstances especially onerous.[/sblock]

The boy's eyes well up with a dozen emotions as he stands before you, trembling. He eventually gets out two quivering words. "Swear it."

I pull off the fine mithril knit gauntlet that covers my left hand. My longknife in my right hand, I make a shallow cut in the palm of that exposed left hand. I clinch that fist with the blood dripping down onto the grass. "Before our maker Corellon, your family will be redeemed. On my honor I swear it."

Per Manbearcat
The boy grabs his own blade, cuts his own bared hand, and swears his allegiance to you.

[sblock]Again, you're going to lose Audience With the Summer Queen as that fey annointment will be formally undone and passed to another soon enough. You'll gain the Legacy Move from Arcane Duelist but we'll use the Perilous Wilds Follower rules.

He'll have the following components:

Avel' lethelin Boy
Medium Eladrin

Quality +1, Loyalty +2
Damage d6 +1, HP 8, Armor 1, Load 2

Tags:

* <Pick one>
* Warrior: They take +1 to their damage die roll, and you don’t need to Order Follower to get them to fight.
* <Pick a ____-Wise>

Moves:

* <Bamf (limited-use, near-range teleport)>
* <Pick one>

Instinct: Impulsively vengeful.

Cost: Learning the art of the blade, vengeance, or redemption of his family.[/sblock]

I look him in the eye and shake his bloodied hand with my own. Once done, I replace the mithril gauntlet, sheathe the blade, and simply say "...let us go." We grab Sadia, make our way down the great tree that supports Senialesse and across the meadows and tall grasses toward the farm where Saerie went. Introductions along the way, of course. I explain my resignation and that if it would have happened for the boy anyway if it didn't happen for Sadia.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
SAERIE

The dimness peels back and the warm light reclaims its place as the dramatic gesticulations and invocations of the satyr cease at once. A raised eyebrow and sort of a "hmm" look spreads over his face.

He reaches down with his staff and hooks the strings of your coin purse. He tosses the weighty thing up into the air and catches it, making a brief face of delight when he feels the hefty mass in his hand.

Without any form of acknowledgement or any care for negotiation, he abruptly "about faces". Despite any protests, he walks back through the open door which, driven by unseen provocation, slams shut behind him.

The few stray coins (the spilled ones - lets call it 6) of your 200 coin-laden purse are all that remain...

I'm pretty sure I just got taken behind the woodshed even without knowing the exact value of those giant woolly pigs. I walk over, pick up the 6 coins, and roll them around in the palm of my hand as I stand there considering whether to knock on the door.

I turn and walk over to where the brownies and the grig fled into the long grass. "How much coin is typically spent per pig?"

Per Manbearcat
The brownies slink out of the long grass and the leader of the troupe answers your question.

"I've gone to the Murkendraw to fetch the weaned piglets with Farmer Barnum a time or two. Somewhere around 5-10 coin not counting the cost of the trip and the danger of dealing with hags.

Fully grown like those three were? Firbolgs will gladly pay 25 a head."

"So 75 coins. And the damaged crops and pens?"

Per Manbearcat
"Tough to say. Maybe 25 again? Maybe 50?"

He looks at the door behind which the satyr dissappeared.

"Maybe whatever in the nine hells Farmer Barnum wants!"

This provokes several chuckles of varying pitches from the long grass.

"So 100 coins. Maybe 125 max. Thank you and I'm sorry for the trouble."

I turn to Rawr and the remaining dire wolf. "Let us go."

Over my shoulder I say "...we might be back..."

I'm heading out to meet up with Otthor and Sadia. We can discuss this together. Farmer Barnum is obviously dangerously volatile and while that may have been straight theft, my beasts instigated the problem. But still, if he is a warlock and Baba Yaga is his patron, perhaps he can divine the nature of Sadia's "mark".

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Naming the boy Leonel. Finished product for my Legacy Move below:

Leonel Avel' lethelin
Medium Eladrin

Quality +1, Loyalty +2
Damage d6 +1, HP 8, Armor 1, Load 2

Tags:

* Magical: they are magical by nature or training, and sensitive to the workings of magic. Use at least one of their moves to elaborate on their powers.
* Warrior: They take +1 to their damage die roll, and you don’t need to Order Follower to get them to fight.
* History-Wise: Roll +Quality to spout Lore.

Moves:

* Bamf (limited-use, near-range teleport)
* Aegis of Shielding (Defend Near range w/ +Quality)

Instinct: Impulsively vengeful.

Cost: Learning the art of the blade, vengeance, or redemption of his family.

I'm heading out to meet up with Otthor and Sadia. We can discuss this together. Farmer Barnum is obviously dangerously volatile and while that may have been straight theft, my beasts instigated the problem. But still, if he is a warlock and Baba Yaga is his patron, perhaps he can divine the nature of Sadia's "mark".

When we meet up with Saerie, obviously the first thing I'm going to do is introduce her to Leonel. I'll give my friend the abridged version of the "pear-shaped" meeting with the Summer Queen and her Summer Court Ministry. If she frets at all that I've given up my titles, honors, and powers on behalf of her ward, I'll assure her that there is nothing to apologize for.

"The primary reason I went to the mortal world in the first place was to avoid the bureaucratic trappings that comes with elevated station within the Summer Court's caste. The meeting proved to me once and for all that my place is, and will always be, on the front lines with the rest of the grunts. Steadfastness and sacrifice in the face of villainy is my raison d'être. Besides, even if they would have allowed Sadia to take refuge in Senialesse, they would haven't have allowed me to make Leonel my Blade Ward and they certainly wouldn't have approved of my future efforts to repatriate his family."

I tell her the only good that did come of the meeting. I learned that the only safe place for Sadia is by our side. Apparently, the Winter Fey are kidnapping blue-eyed mortal girls from her homeland; I motion to Sadia's eyes. "This is the primary reason that they wanted her removed from Senialesse. Cowardly, they acquiesce to Winter Fey aggression. Aggression against children no less. They fear that it brings that aggression to their doorstep and that such fears are 'bad for business', I suppose. I've never known such deep shame as I have today. That shame, as much as anything else, forced me to tender my resignation."

Once she tells me the tale of the two missing wolves, the bedlam at the farm, and the satyr warlock that owes us 70 coins, I am of single mind. "We need answers of Sadia's plight and perhaps some potions for the delve into the viper's den of Vor Thomil to rescue our captive warriors. Let us go get our money's worth."

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
I greet Leonel and introduce the boy to both Rawr and my remaining dire wolf. "He does not have a name yet because he has not proven himself worth of such an honor. His packmates just proved themselves very UNworthy and now their carcasses litter the very farm that we return to." At this last bit, I give my remaining dire wolf the evil eye.

"And this...", my eyes clothes and my head tilts back as I reach into the spirit realm and call to my spirit animal "...is Lucky." I give Lucky a few loving pats on the head as I smile.

[sblock]Animal Spirit (Wis)
3, 2 + 3 = 8

Choose 1:

* Your spirit is cunning and adds +1 when you discern realities.[/sblock]

Once she tells me the tale of the two missing wolves, the bedlam at the farm, and the satyr warlock that owes us 70 coins, I am of single mind. "We need answers of Sadia's plight and perhaps some potions for the delve into the viper's den of Vor Thomil to rescue our captive warriors. Let us go get our money's worth."

I give a clenched teeth smile and a little fist pump when Otthor says he wants to go back to the warlock's farm before we head off to the fomorian stronghold where the Summer Court soldiers are held captive,

On our way back to the warlock's farm, I mention a couple things in passing:

- We can stop in Shinaelestra on our way to the fomorian stronghold and gather any necessary supplies there. The ranger company I belong to is based there so the quartermasters will give us a discount.

- I know Sadia is in the least amount of danger travelling with us, even with us going dead into the hostile territory of the Feydark. However, I recommend Otthor use Invisibility on her as much as possible as he did to me back at the barbarian's complex in the Highlands.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
On our way back to the warlock's farm, I mention a couple things in passing:

- We can stop in Shinaelestra on our way to the fomorian stronghold and gather any necessary supplies there. The ranger company I belong to is based there so the quartermasters will give us a discount.

- I know Sadia is in the least amount of danger travelling with us, even with us going dead into the hostile territory of the Feydark. However, I recommend Otthor use Invisibility on her as much as possible as he did to me back at the barbarian's complex in the Highlands.

I agree with Saerie that The Fading City is a good way-station for us. Like my home city of Astrazalian, it passes into the mortal world. However, the wildland ruins of Shinaelestra does so every single evening. We might be able to use that as a staging point to recon Winter Fey activity in the mortal world.

I reassure her that I'll keep Invisibility on Sadia when the situation warrants, but that will limit my spellcasting, which could end up putting her in even more danger in certain circumstances. Besides, I will make it very clear to Leonel that her safety is priority number one.

When we finally arrive to the farm, I survey the carnage as I stride straight to the circular door and give three firm knocks. Leonel is back aways with Sadia safely behind him.

Per Manbearcat
Twilight is quickly moving in when you arrive. The pale motes of light of hanging lanterns reveal the brownie farm-hands are handling the gorier aspects of the mess first, disassembling the many carcasses and disposing of the useless bits. When you enter the farm proper, a few hours after you left prior Saerie, they immediately scatter into the long grass.

The resounding yet dull knocks on the door reveal the wood to be thick, hard.

What they don't reveal is a response.

After waiting a short bit, I knock again.

Per Manbearcat
Still nothing save some snickering of varying pitches from the long grasses.

I slightly frown. While looking at the iron pull of the door, I say "what do you think?" I then step back so Saerie can examine the door for any glyphs or wards. I grab one of the hanging lanterns to illuminate the door for her examination.

Binks

Explorer
I slightly frown. While looking at the iron pull of the door, I say "what do you think?" I then step back so Saerie can examine the door for any glyphs or wards. I grab one of the hanging lanterns to illuminate the door for her examination.

I lean in close and examiine the door's features with the lantern's light playing against it; the wood grain, the hinges, the pull, any relief-work.

[sblock]Discern Realities (Wis)
2, 3 +3 = 8

What should I be on the lookout for?[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Standard, circular, heavy-wooden door. Iron hinges on one side. Single pull. No markings of any kind.

Clearly it is warded by neither mechanism nor magic.

"All clear." I reach for the heavy iron pull, grasp it, and open the door.

Per Manbearcat
You are greeted by a solid wall of large hewn stone. Each block must weigh well into the hundreds of pounds. By the looks of it, it spans the perimeter of the home, just inside the wooden framing.

Before you ask, the answer is "no, this barrier clearly wasn't discernible when he walked in and out of his home prior."

I touch it.

Per Manbearcat
Quite tangible. Cold and stone-ey.

"Rawr. To me." I'm kneeling at the door. When he draws near enough, I place my hand on heavy tuft of fur at the top of one of his forelegs. I place the other hand on the stone wall. My head draws back. My eyes open partially revealing milky-white orbs as I invoke the primal spirits of earth, beckoning them to draw back on either side to give us a path through.

[sblock]Elemental Mastery (Wis)
4, 2 +3 = 9

Choose 1 of:

* The effect you desire comes to pass
* You avoid paying nature’s price
* You retain control

I choose the effect I desire comes to pass.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
A strange rigidity passes from the cold wall to your hand, like mortar quick-setting. The stone retreats where you have touched it, but your hand grows numb and stiff as it takes on a stoney-cast, grey and cracked. It spreads just past your wrist before it stops. You can already feel it fading, but it will be a bit before it fully goes away.

[sblock]You'll take -1 forward to do stuff with that hand.[/block]

The drawing back of the stone by the earth spirits within it is a rough, meter diameter circle. Inside is pitch black. The lantern lights only the very periphery, but it is plain to see...this is no house.

What lies within is a cold, cramped hollow leading off into inky blackness, looking all the part of a tunnel carved into the black stone of the Feydark.

Your nearness to it fills you with a strange sense of...being drawn into it...

"...what magic is this (?)" escapes from my lips as Rawr and I slowly draw back from it. I look to Otthor.

Last edited:

Remove ads