Doctor Who s8e7 - Kill The Moon

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not to mention that it just spontaneously gains mass, without having apparently ingested it from any outside source. Why is it such a difficult concept to understand that mass has to actually come from somewhere - it doesn't just spontaneously appear.

I don't mind that. Aliens in Doctor Who do weird things. They time travel and miniaturise people and teleport and shapechange and regenerate and read minds and all sorts of things which are clearly sci-fantasy, not physics. This one gains mass. Not such a big stretch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't mind that. Aliens in Doctor Who do weird things. They time travel and miniaturise people and teleport and shapechange and regenerate and read minds and all sorts of things which are clearly sci-fantasy, not physics. This one gains mass. Not such a big stretch.

But, just upthread you seeem to suggest that the Moon being an egg that we don't notice was a bit of a stretch....

So, aliens doing weird things (like change gravity) is okay, but doing weird things (be present and mostly quiescent and we don't notice) is a problem? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But, just upthread you seeem to suggest that the Moon being an egg that we don't notice was a bit of a stretch....

So, aliens doing weird things (like change gravity) is okay, but doing weird things (be present and mostly quiescent and we don't notice) is a problem? :)

Correct. You have accurately restated my tastes regarding realism in this episode.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought Doctor Who tossed out the pretense of using real science as opposed to TV science back in the Classic era....

Obviously. The first ever episode had a TARDIS in it.

It doesn't have to be realistic. It just has to be sold well enough that you're willing to suspend disbelief.

Sometimes it manages that. Sometimes it doesn't.

That would have been a nifty tie-in to The Beast Below.

I thought it was goofy to call the spider-thingies uni-cellular just so they could kill one with disinfectant. And while I'm fine with the moon being an egg that gains mass mysteriously and hatches into a space monster that flies away by flapping its wings, I found it against my preferences that:

a) the cracking moon could be heard across hundreds of thousands of miles of vacuum,
b) it left another egg behind within moments of flying away, and
c) they show a full moon cracking from the shore

in daylight

at an elevation in the sky when such a thing would be impossible.

It's okay to make stuff up, but don't get stuff wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I'm going to no-prize that one....

The mass of the Moon was effectively changing. Thus, it's orbit must also change. It was seen as full, yet daylight, because it was now close enough to be seen by reflected earthglow...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I'm going to no-prize that one....

The mass of the Moon was effectively changing. Thus, it's orbit must also change. It was seen as full, yet daylight, because it was now close enough to be seen by reflected earthglow...

Remove ads