When you write an adventure...

My Adventure Writing Process

• I write out my adventures as fully as a published module.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I write down an extensive set of notes, and refer to those during play

Votes: 44 31.7%
  • I write down a pretty sparse set of notes, and refer to those during play

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I have little to nothing written down (save perhaps stat blocks). I simply have the skeleton of the

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

Paul_Klein

Explorer
I'm simply curious how each of you handles the adventure writing process.

If you use a mix of the above choices, please select the option that best overall describes your style. If none of them match, select 'other' and state your answer below.

kengar

First Post
I make up a series of encounter "cheat sheets" in a spreadsheet format that I use to track combats. I also have maps and flavor text/descriptions for key areas. Beyond that, and maybe a few notes about how I want to play a given NPC, I pretty much try to roll with what the PCs decide to do.

EDIT: BTW, I voted "extensive notes."

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I eiher start with an campaign idea or start with a area 'map' which is divided into Zones (a grid)

Then I get an idea of what the area is about - whats going on. This also tends to give ideas for Adventures

Each Zone then gets a few notes on possible encounters, sites of interest, NPCs etc

I then write 'plot events' - things that have to happen (eg the PCs are sent to the Temple of Mei so the Temple is considered a Site and reaching it is a Plot Event)

How they get from one plot event to another though is entirely up to the PCs and pretty much created on the fly -eg if whilst going to the Temple they pass by the lair of the Ogre Bandits they have a chance (say dc 12) to encounter the Ogres (who I might pick up after the encounter and expand on for further plot hooks)

Timothy

First Post
I usually mix it all, using adventures/hooks/maps made by others, and incorparating my own ideas into them I improvise a lot.

Also, my players like combat best, so I usually just get a dungeon, and populate it (also with roleplaying encounters, though). The dungeon can also be a forest, a city or whatever, but I make the encounters just like in a dungeon, with just the possibilty of more side tracks.

Wicht

Hero
I try to write up my adventures in the format of a module if I have the time. Doing so means that my NPCs are more fully fleshed in my minds and that I am less often caught off guard. For a sample of how I write them up follow the second link in my sig :)

Psion

Adventurer
I tend to write up the encounters I anticipate and other challenges, and get the possible flow of the adventure in my head. My main resource in play is that I try to clearly define the goals, MO, and resources of NPCs and organizations, so I know how they react to the players' actions if things go off the anticipated path.

Arnwyn

First Post
A mix of all of them. I have some locations that are generally written as a full module, while other areas have only a couple of scratchings to go by.

The Serge

First Post
I voted for the full adventure track... but that's the ideal.

When I begin new games, I tend to write two or three full adventures per every three level increase (1-3 and 4-6 primarily) because it's easier to know where PCs are likely to head during the first few levels... particularly in a homebrew campaign. They're not as familiar with the world initially and not as likely to spend a lot of time exploring. I'm fortunate in that I've been working on my campaign setting for over 15 years, so I have a lot of material and background.

The reason I write two or three full adventures is to offer options. After the initial adventure is completed and I've had an opportunity to introduce some basic elements about the campaign setting, I want the PCs to know that they have options and control over their destinies.

After these first few games, I pretty much end up writing detailed notes. By 8th or 9th level, PCs are very much invested in their characters and they tend to have their own ideas as to where they want to go. Additionally, they have a lot of information at their disposal based upon games they've already played, hooks and such. After listening carefully what they say in game, I go ahead and create very detailed notes for locations I may not have already created for certain areas. This is also faciliated by the fact that each character provides me with a background afterwhich I turn around and give them historical information on their country of origin, gods worshipped in such locations, and other information pertinent to their character's history.

This manner of designing adventures has ensured that there is a foundation afterwhich the PCs can direct their own course. It also gives me the opportunity to create new material as I introduce stuff without feeling rushed.

www.dicefreaks.com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases