Tower of Adamant: New OGL game looking for feedback

vivsavage

Explorer
Here is a link to my in-development d20 RPG, Tower of Adamant. If the description below sounds interesting to you, please read the document and give me your thoughts, either via PM or in this thread. Thanks!

- Tower of Adamant is based on the notion that dramatic things should happen at dramatic moments. To that end, there are two types of scene: standard and climactic. Standard scenes are faster and simpler, and the results of your dice rolls are more predictable. In climatic scenes, the stakes get higher, but your character can accomplish the type of actions and levels of heroism you read about and see in movies. There is an emphasis on last-second heroics, achieving great acts when you are closest to defeat, and so on. Many special abilities become available or are augmented during climactic scenes.

- Each class/race combination is very distinct. Elven warriors are very different to human or dwarf warriors, while each race practices a type of magic entirely different than their human/elf/dwarf counterpart. Humans practice a form of wizardry similar to 4e's AW/E/D/U tradition, except that each spell has its own AW/E/D variant, meaning you can choose to prepare the AW version of magic missile one day and the encounter version the next, and so on. Elves practice a form of spirit magic with nature, and dwarves burn magical runes onto their bodies.

- There are five roles, defining your function at a given moment: leader, expert, stalwart, protector, and guide. You have one primary role and one secondary role. Each lends you specific talents and responsibilities.

- each character is assumed to be competent at most things; you won't 'suck' with certain skills.

There is a lot more to it than just these aspects, but those are the primary elements. Again, if this sounds of interest to you and you are willing to take a look and help me out, I would be grateful.

Right now I'm looking for basic feedback:

- does this look interesting?
- does it seem like it would be fun to play?
- do you like the classes?
- do you like the standard scene/climactic scene dichotomy?
- is it easy to understand?

If you have the time, please generate a character or two and give me your thoughts. Thanks!

Below is a look at the cover. The logo and subtitle are just placeholders. "Drama when it counts" will not be used. The other image is an interior finished piece.

ToAcover8-9-14.jpg
coloridea12finaloriginalsize2.jpg

Last edited:

vivsavage

Explorer
As an aside, anyone who helps out with the game will get a free mention in the rulebook. Anyone who play tests it will receive a free pdf of the finished game. Thanks!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
at a meta level, I think the idea of a narrative focused fantasy game is interesting direction. You have the whole the game is sport vs story debate in players for decades now. I think trying to find a blend between the two is something I have been exploring. I also have thought about 2d10 as well.

Less swinging but you dont get as many of those natural 20 moments!

still exploring it

Panache

First Post
I see the undertones of Dungeon World and The One Ring in your system. It makes me wonder--are you sure that d20 is the type of system you want to accomplish your design goals--dramatic things happen at dramatic moments? Are you sure you wouldn't be better served by something that puts more narrative control in the hands of the players?

That being said, your system looks like fun and I would love to play. Have you thought about multi-classing at all? It's something that players will want.

Remove ads