Advive on Upgrading a desktop

Janx

Hero
I haven't found games to use that many threads. My quad-core hyper threaded i7 hasn't been fully utilized in the games I have played, but ymmv depending on the games you play.

For $1k you will certainly not get a large enough ssd to put much on. But if you can get a big ssd, it is awesome to run games on. Load times vanish.

When Skyrim was released, it only used up to 4GB of RAM so I loaded the entire game into a RAM disk. That was awesome, so fast between locations.

Yup, buttloads of CPU and RAM don't pay off directly past a certain point. Over 8 cores, and I don't think you'll get much (because you should not be multi-tasking other big stuff while playing a game). Like Alan says, the Game won't use the extra CPU because it's timing had to be built off of a lower baseline. If it threads too much stuff, there's too much timing variance by what platform it runs on. For big batch EDI processing, I want threading, and I want lots of cores to make it go faster.

For a video game, I don't want the mass of enemies to react slower on your craptop vs. my mega-core re-purposed server.

The one point this concept deviates though is video hardware. The computations on what to draw and what to skimp on drawing (frame rate) are something game developers allow some flexibility variance by platform. They are OK with the game looking like crap on your craptop and looking great on somebody's newest nVidia video card.

Getting back to Alan's point...

One way to make your 16GB of RAM, of which only 4GB is actively used is to setup a RAMDISK and copy the game files into that and run from there. This is probably more cost effective than a big SSD, and it's something RAM can handle and many factors better speed than the SSD which has to pass its data across SATA through a PCI Express bus or two before it even gets used. CPU access to RAM is MUCH faster than that.

So...get 16GB of RAM before fretting about SSD and learn how to setup a RAMDrive.

What I'd like to see is recommendations on video cards. That's really the crucial point. Especially in comparison to what a Blackbox desktop might ship with.

tecnowraith

First Post
Im back and was wondering would be good to get a cpu+motherboard combo? Also I keep seeing motherboards advertising as "gaming board", is that good? :)

tecnowraith

First Post
Hey, Which order should I get the parts, since I heve too get them each month. The person helping me with the finance can only do one part a month.

You need to get the case, motherboard, processor, memory, primary drive, and OS all at once. Most will only have a 30 to 90 day return policy. If you don't install and test them all when you get them, you will be SOL if you have any problems.

Janx

Hero
You need to get the case, motherboard, processor, memory, primary drive, and OS all at once. Most will only have a 30 to 90 day return policy. If you don't install and test them all when you get them, you will be SOL if you have any problems.

very good point.

I'd be uneasy about buying these parts one per month. You'll be long past warranty by the time you get to assembling all this (and worse, the stuff is going to be 6 months outdated before it even gets powered on).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases