D&D 5E Spells: the Good, the Bad, and the Downright Orcish Grandmother

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Here are my attempts to fix some of the spells that have been described as poor:

Blade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you or one willing creature within range has resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Reasoning: By giving it range and allowing it to target allies, it is now a support cantrip. It is no longer relegated merely to gish builds, and can be a solid pick for casters that want to stand in the back while their tanks go to town.

Ray of Enfeeblement
2nd-level necromancy
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A black beam of enervating energy springs from your finger toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target deals only half damage with weapon attacks until the spell ends.

At the end of each of the target’s turns, it can make a Constitution saving throw against the spell. On a success, the spell ends.

Reasoning: I removed the concentration component, because that seemed to be a pretty big sticking point given the fact that it requires a successful spell attack, and the target gets a Con save every round. But I also simplified it by making it apply to all weapon attacks. Regardless of how dexterous a person might be, if you are suddenly weakened, you aren't going the be firing or finessing as well.

True Strike
Divination cantrip
Range: 120 feet
Components: S
Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand, sensing the odds and probabilities and bending them in favor of you and your party. Choose yourself or one ally within range. Until the end of your next turn, all attacks made by the target of this cantrip are made at advantage.

Reasoning: I mentioned this spell in an earlier post, but just to bring more attention to it and to consolidate my updated spells, I'm including it again. First of all, giving the cantrip range and allowing it to target allies rather than enemies makes it much more valuable as a support cantrip, as with the updated Blade Ward above. In addition, now this cantrip has the potential to scale like other cantrips, since it can affect multiple attacks. When your fighter gets access to more attacks (or if you do as an Eldritch Knight/Other Gish Build) this cantrip does better. Additionally, it can also work with attacks of opportunity. Suddenly True Strike turns from the worst cantrip, to one that is actually a reasonable strategic choice, especially for support casters.

Witch Bolt
2nd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Components: V, S, M (a twig from a tree that has been struck by lightning)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 lightning damage, and on each of your turns for the duration, you can use your bonus action to deal 3d6 lightning damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if you use your bonus action to do anything else. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the initial damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Reasoning: The damage continues to be inline with a 2nd level upcast Witchbolt (though slightly lower). But given the change of making the spell a bonus action to cast and maintain and increasing the range to make it harder for targeted enemies to escape, it seemed reasonable to increase the base level of the spell to 2nd level at minimum. In comparison to spiritual weapon, spiritual weapon does less damage, but can switch targets, does not require concentration, and utilizes force damage. Additionally, Spiritual Weapon can crit any round it is used, whereas Witch Bolt can only crit on the first round it's used. Overall, I feel these spells are comparable and bring Witch Bolt into a realm of usefulness.

Also with Witch Bolt, I kept in the original language that only the initial damage increases when upcast using higher level spell slots. Given the base damage to 3d6, I felt this was appropriate.

Gadget

Adventurer
[MENTION=6863518]dropbear8mybaby[/MENTION] - Those are some very interesting spells. Making Blade Ward a bonus action to cast but only working against the first attack in the next round will definitely see its usage rise, despite only working on one attack. In fact, I think we would see this spammed most every round by a caster in melee unless they had another compelling use for their bonus action. I'm not sure that is a good thing.

I really like the idea of Eldritch Blade, I could see this being the basis of the blade'lock pact. I would change the wording to allow the formation of any weapon, but limit the damage to 1d8 + spellcasting stat and make it require concentration. Then I would add wording to the Pact of the Blade such that: "You know the Eldritch Blade cantrip, if you already know it, you gain on Warlock cantrip of your choice. You do not need to maintain concentration on this spell and it does not use your concentration slot." This would keep other classes from poaching the blade'lock shtick by just picking up the cantrip (via Arcane Initiate, Magical Secrets or a one level dip).

I'm not seeing that much of an improvement in Mordenkainen's Sword, other than you don't have to spend your bonus action every round to have the Sword keep attacking the same target. I'm not sure that is enough.

I really like your Witch Bolt solution, both the 2d6 and especially the part about grappling the target. I would limit the grapple effect to creatures of large size or smaller and require the target the to make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check against the caster's spell DC to escape. This might make it too powerful against Legendary opponents though.
[MENTION=59848]Hawk Diesel[/MENTION]

Your Witch Bolt update may be more balanced, but I kind of like the aesthetics of grappling the target. It's hard to say.

True Strike certainly seems like it is powered up. I would probably limit it to: "Choose a target, including yourself, their next attack roll before the end of your next turn is made with advantage. Still useful, but not quite as devastating.

I like your Ray of Enfeeblement, but I would almost take adding concentration back in if it also gave disadvantage on STR, DEX (& perhaps CON) ability checks as well.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Your Witch Bolt update may be more balanced, but I kind of like the aesthetics of grappling the target. It's hard to say.

Why not the best of both worlds? Change the 1st level Witch Bolt to Lightning Lasso, giving it that grapple ability (I also like the idea of the spell allow you to drag the target at half speed), and make Witch Bolt a 2nd level spell, perhaps even changing the damage type to necrotic to represent the darker power of the spell.

True Strike certainly seems like it is powered up. I would probably limit it to: "Choose a target, including yourself, their next attack roll before the end of your next turn is made with advantage. Still useful, but not quite as devastating.

My thing is any time True Strike is used prior to 5th level and that's essentially how it would function. But this allows for after 5th level the cantrip keeping pace with other types of cantrips which grow in power. Otherwise, this cantrip is just a more limited version of a ranged Help action.

I like your Ray of Enfeeblement, but I would almost take adding concentration back in if it also gave disadvantage on STR, DEX (& perhaps CON) ability checks as well.

I think to affect all those checks would bump the spell to at least 3rd level, since that is basically what Hex does but Hex can only affect one of those stats.

Gadget

Adventurer
Why not the best of both worlds? Change the 1st level Witch Bolt to Lightning Lasso, giving it that grapple ability (I also like the idea of the spell allow you to drag the target at half speed), and make Witch Bolt a 2nd level spell, perhaps even changing the damage type to necrotic to represent the darker power of the spell.

Well, RAW, all Grappled does is reduce the targets speed to zero. I think this give added utility without making it too debilitating. The target can't run away or charge you until it 'breaks' your grapple, but can still attack and defend itself just fine. Might be too much if you land it on the big bad and hold Strahd there for everyone to beat on, but then again, he should be able to make the Str or dex check to get out of the grapple and end the spell.

My thing is any time True Strike is used prior to 5th level and that's essentially how it would function. But this allows for after 5th level the cantrip keeping pace with other types of cantrips which grow in power. Otherwise, this cantrip is just a more limited version of a ranged Help action.

Yes, I see what you are saying, but it seems like a good way to make GWM and such that much more of a no brainer. I have a feeling that it might be more abusable, or have more unforeseen interactions than it seems at first blush.

I think to affect all those checks would bump the spell to at least 3rd level, since that is basically what Hex does but Hex can only affect one of those stats.

Hmmm...Isn't Hex a ranged first level spell (with a 50% greater range than RoE) that does not require a ranged spell attack, is a bonus action to cast, lasts up to one hour when cast at first level, and does not allow a save every round to throw off the effect? Assuming that the bonus damage granted to the caster by Hex is not quite equal with the halved damage Ray of Enfeeblement brings to bear on the target (and that is, IMHO, arguable), that sounds like quite a leg up Hex has. Add in a level difference and it seems more than enough. Okay, how about just STR & DEX ability checks?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Yes, I see what you are saying, but it seems like a good way to make GWM and such that much more of a no brainer. I have a feeling that it might be more abusable, or have more unforeseen interactions than it seems at first blush.

I'm not sure how it would lead to further abuse with GWM. You have to use an action to cast the cantrip, and if you are a GISH casting it on yourself, you wouldn't benefit from it until your next turn to attack. Assuming someone with 2-3 attacks, over two rounds you either make 4-6 attacks with the attack action, or you burn an action to cast True Strike and next round make 4-6 attacks rolls for 2-3 attacks. It works out to the same number of rolls, but potentially fewer attacks. Only way you could abuse it would be collusion between two PCs, and in my book, if the players are going to work together like that, it should be rewarded.

Hmmm...Isn't Hex a ranged first level spell (with a 50% greater range than RoE) that does not require a ranged spell attack, is a bonus action to cast, lasts up to one hour when cast at first level, and does not allow a save every round to throw off the effect? Assuming that the bonus damage granted to the caster by Hex is not quite equal with the halved damage Ray of Enfeeblement brings to bear on the target (and that is, IMHO, arguable), that sounds like quite a leg up Hex has. Add in a level difference and it seems more than enough. Okay, how about just STR & DEX ability checks?

Yes, but Hex is also one of the signature spells of the Warlock (yes, you can get Hex without being a Warlock, but that requires a feat). So that right there puts it on par with a 2nd-3rd level spell for any other class. So if the additional Hex Damage is roughly equal to the halved weapon damage, affecting multiple abilities check types would put it into 3rd level range. At least, that's how I see it.

DaveDash

Explorer
Witchbolt isn't that bad a spell. Seems to me it was made with warlocks in mind as primary users. They have a low number of spell slots that are always of their highest level, refreshable on a short rest cycle. So a 7th level warlock could zap an enemy with 4d12 the entire battle expending only 1 spell slot, and getting it right back after a short rest. It's almost like a very powerful cantrip for players who like to zap things. Combine it with hex... strike that, both are concentration. Maybe it's not that good after all ;)

Great spells
Heat Metal: 2d8 damage each round with your bonus action and disadvantage to target's attack rolls and ability cheks. All of that without giving a save.
Banishment: Grants only one save. Other debilitating spells usually grant renewed saves every turn to end the effect.
Meteor Swarm is phenomenally powerful. 40d6 damage!?!
Slow: absolutely crippling against creatures with a high number of attacks and/or bonus action/reaction abilities. Affects up to 6 creatures.
Forcecage: No save, no nothing. You're simply stuck, pretty much nothing you can do about it without some uberpowerful magic.
Simulacrum: potentially extremely powerful, but also very very costly.
Shapechange: how about turning into a dragon?

Blah spells
Weird: now that's pathetic for a 9th level wizard spell. Does essentially the same thing that 3rd level fear does, in addition to some not so great damage.
Mordenkainen's Sword: paltry, paltry 7th level spell.
Maze: Why on Earth use this (8th level) when you get the same thing with Banishment at 4th? Only interesting if used by a DM to trap a PC in a maze-like mini-adventure. Find the exit if you can!

Apologies for pulling out your post from many years ago, but I thought I might post this so others find it useful.

Maze is actually a really good spell. It offers a few advantages over banishment..

- It's not a save, it's an ability check so it can bypass things like legendary resistance.
- It's a great spell to cast on a big bad guy and then have your party buff up and prepare for the fight.
- Intelligence generally is a weaker stat than charisma, especially on powerful outsiders who have powerful charisma saving throws.
- Further to the point above, because it's a base intelligence check it's also not subject to proficiency bonuses. You're not going to find a monster with much more than +5 here.
- The high level Wizard in my game has his "I win" combination against extremely powerful foes - Maze -> Prismatic Wall -> Dismiss the maze. It's more foolproof than banishment when you really need it to work, again due to the fact it's an ability check and not a saving throw.

Source: I run a high level game with a now 17th level Abjurer. He has used maze to great effect a couple of times - banishment would not have cut it, either due to legendary saves or the creatures he was fighting having great charisma saving throws.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Ok, because I like the idea of a Witch Bolt that grapples and a Witch Bolt that is more necromantic, I've split them into two spells.

Lightning Lasso
2nd-level evocation
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a twig from a tree that has been struck by lightning)

A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 1d12 lightning damage and is considered grappled. The grapple is maintained automatically until the spell ends, requiring no further action by the caster.

The target creature may use an action to attempt to break the grapple with a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check against your spell DC (target creature’s choice). If the target creature succeeds, the spell ends.

Each round the spell is maintained, the caster may use their action to automatically deal 1d12 lightning damage to the target creature. The caster may also use their action to pull the target creature up to 15ft.

The spell ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the initial damage increases by 1d12 for each slot level above 1st.

Witch Bolt
2nd-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Components: V, S, M (desiccated leach)

A number of howling apparitions are called into existence, swirling around you and seeking out a creature you designate within range. The apparitions continuously fly through the creature, causing the creature great pain as the necrotic energies build within the creature’s body. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and on each of your turns for the duration, you can use your bonus action to deal 3d6 necrotic damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if you use your bonus action to do anything else. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the initial damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Has anyone mention the garbage spells that happen to be rituals? Most of the ritual spells are situational, but some are just plain bad.

Meld into Stone - Probably the worst ritual spell ever. Its like Ranger's Hide in Plain Sight, but worse because you can't see whats going on around you, and can't hear well too while in the stone. At least you are guaranteed to win a hide-and-seek game.

Feign Death - When would you ever need this spell? Should be a level 1 spell too.

Other contenders for orcish grandmother spells:

Find Traps - Lets be honest. You will only use it when you suspect there are traps nearby, and what does the spell do? Confirm your suspicions. Or not. Because of the 'within line of sight' part. I don't think you need reminding that most traps are hidden from sight, that's why they are called traps. The most common one being a trap triggered by opening a door. Of course the trap is going to be behind the door, right?

Last edited:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
- Those are some very interesting spells. Making Blade Ward a bonus action to cast but only working against the first attack in the next round will definitely see its usage rise, despite only working on one attack. In fact, I think we would see this spammed most every round by a caster in melee unless they had another compelling use for their bonus action. I'm not sure that is a good thing.
Remember that, even as a cantrip, casting a spell as a bonus action means you can only cast a cantrip as your main action. So while useful, it has its limits, which was the intention of it. And resistance is nice, but the higher up you go, the more you encounter multiattacking monsters. It becomes such that you end up predominantly fighting monsters with multiattack.

I really like the idea of Eldritch Blade, I could see this being the basis of the blade'lock pact. I would change the wording to allow the formation of any weapon, but limit the damage to 1d8 + spellcasting stat and make it require concentration. Then I would add wording to the Pact of the Blade such that: "You know the Eldritch Blade cantrip, if you already know it, you gain on Warlock cantrip of your choice. You do not need to maintain concentration on this spell and it does not use your concentration slot." This would keep other classes from poaching the blade'lock shtick by just picking up the cantrip (via Arcane Initiate, Magical Secrets or a one level dip).
My homebrew rules have rewritten pact blade to use eldritch blade. It's too complex and requires too many other rules changes for me to post anywhere though.

I really like your Witch Bolt solution, both the 2d6 and especially the part about grappling the target. I would limit the grapple effect to creatures of large size or smaller and require the target the to make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check against the caster's spell DC to escape. This might make it too powerful against Legendary opponents though.
It's Con because you're resisting the effects of lightning coursing through your body.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases