D&D 5E Please Support Eberron!

Hellcow

Adventurer
But surely there would be a potential place for that in one of the pre-existing planes, no?
You could certainly come up with one if you wanted. However, the point of Baator per the article is that it's not tied to one plane and thus is suitable as a prison for immortals from any of the planes. It's not part of the Progenitor's grand design of the multiverse (if you believe in the Progenitors); it's something created afterwards as a dumping ground for those who don't fit in. Per the article itself...

According to records in the Infinite Archives, in the days before their final ascension, the Sovereigns worked together to build a prison from the raw stuff of the Sea of Siberys. Aureon wove binding spells to prevent any escape, while Onatar and Dol Dorn built mighty automatons that could crush any uprising. Each Sovereign created a personal domain within the prison as a place of punishment for those who rose up against them—nine hells for rebellious spirits.

Now, one could say "But I thought the Sovereigns were a myth." Well, this is ALSO a myth. But beyond that, if you don't believe in the Sovereigns as gods, you could believe this to be the actions of epic dragons - IE, it was the dragon Ourelonastrix. But hey, there are nine Sovereigns, and it makes a nice rationale for nine hells and provides an interesting theme for Eberron's unique hells - what is the Hell of Aureon, and how does it differ from the Hell of Boldrei?

But at the end of the day, could you figure out another place to have such a prison? Sure. Until I came up with this idea, I simply didn't use Baator in my Eberron. This was simply a way to say "If I AM going to have Baator in my version of Eberron, how do I make Baator something that adds to the setting instead of simply feeling out of place?"

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Oh good, sounds nothing much has changed that can't be fitted in our ongoing multiverse. In this case, maybe I can get them to try 5e anyway.

As for the 9 Hells - our personal multiverse has 13 Hells now - they exist everywhere in our worlds anyway, just never had any significance nor interest in Eberron.

I'll just never ever allow Eladrin lol

Aldarc

Legend
[MENTION=15800]Hellcow[/MENTION] You know the other great thing that makes Eberron great is simply how willingly, enthusiastically, and supportively you engage the fans about the setting you created. Even before Eberron was published, you have been a very public presence for the setting here, the Wizards forums, your blog, and conventions. Fans will be discussing Eberron lore and mechanics on some forum, and you just sort of pop up to talk with players and DMs about the setting. Your approach so refreshingly open and non-authoritarian. You may indicate your original intent, but you also frequently point to other interpretations, ambiguities, and express an openness to changing the setting for individual preferences. Your approach with the setting makes a real psychological impact for how I approach the setting as a DM and a player.

Last edited:

sgtscott658

First Post
This I totally agree with, Its awesome that the guy that created the campaign setting actually engages iboth players and DM's. It makes wanting to play in such a campaign world more desirable due to the designers presence and input.

BTW, was Battle Chasers your inspiration for Eberron?

Scott

[MENTION=15800]Hellcow[/MENTION] You know the other great thing that makes Eberron great is simply how willingly, enthusiastically, and supportively you engage the fans about the setting you created. Even before Eberron was published, you have been a very public presence for the setting here, the Wizard forums, your blog, and conventions. Fans will be discussing Eberron lore and mechanics on some forum, and you just sort of pop up to talk with players and DMs about the setting. Your approach so refreshingly open and non-authoritarian. You may indicate your original intent, but you also frequently point to other interpretations, ambiguities, and an express an openness to changing the setting for individual preferences. Your approach with the setting makes a real psychological impact for how I approach the setting as a DM and a player.

Hellcow

Adventurer
Your approach with the setting makes a real psychological impact for how I approach the setting as a DM and a player.
Thanks, [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]. I love the world and always enjoy talking about it - but I also feel that canon material should be a source of inspiration as opposed to a limitation on stories. My favorite thing about RPGs is that they're collaborative, and I always want people with good ideas to feel free to do whatever makes the setting work for THEM.

BTW, was Battle Chasers your inspiration for Eberron?
I'm afraid not, [MENTION=6777632]sgtscott658[/MENTION] - I didn't encounter Battle Chasers until a few years after Eberron. But I can see why you'd think it!

Osgood

Adventurer
More significant was the fact that 4E added the Nine Hells to the setting; Eberron's cosmology needed no improvements, and adding another plane divorced the cosmology from "the Baker's dozen".

The way I handled the Nine Hells was that they weren't a plane per se, but rather infernal domains within the other planes--Avernus was in Shavarath, Minauros was in Lamannia, Cania was in Risia, and so on. I reasoned that many scholars thought the hells to be their own plane because one could follow the River Styx from on hell to the next, never realizing the river moved between planes.

Remove ads