D&D 5E Please Support Eberron!

Aldarc

Legend
I would certainly be curious as to what alterations 5E would make to the setting. Would it go with the old 3E cosmology? Its 4E version? Or will it adopt a newer cosmology for 5E?

sgtscott658

First Post
Hi-

Just want to say that I really like the Eberron Setting, it really reminds me alot of the Battle Chaser's comic book. I also wish I never sold my books on ebay (needed the money at the time) but do plan to slowly rebuild my Eberron collection back up. Heck, I like all settings more or less anyway, everything offers something I would think. Anyway, If WoTC plans to reboot Eberron, FR, GH, PS and what ever else the print up, I will buy it.

Anyway, thank ya for a very cool setting in Eberron.

Scott

I noticed the same thing! I think it's out of context: it's an Orien heir who's a big supporter of the Pegasus in the Race of Eight Winds (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041220a) who is lobbying to CHANGE the Orien seal to the Pegasus.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For anyone who doesn't know me: Hi! I'm Keith Baker, the creator of the Eberron campaign setting.

Mr. Baker, just a line to say thank you for your innovative setting AND your charitable work. I've never played in Eberron, but I sure the hell have yoinked from it, just like all the other great D&D campaign settings. Keep up the good work.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
As for the topic, Eberron is among my favs as well. However, as I haven't ever paid attention to anything 4e, I suppose as with the other worlds, it got maimed in ways I wouldn't find usable. I haven't yet found a source book for Eberron for 4e to see if this is true or not.

Eh, it didn't really get an update. The history remained identical with enough updates to explain the new stuff that was core to 4E. The year didn't move past 998YK, so really you wouldn't have seen anything different beyond explaining how stuff like eladrin and dragonborn fit into the world.

I would certainly be curious as to what alterations 5E would make to the setting. Would it go with the old 3E cosmology? Its 4E version? Or will it adopt a newer cosmology for 5E?
There's only one correct cosmology for Eberron, and it's detailed in the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting. I'm a purist.

I liked 4E, and I loved the World Axis cosmology it brought to D&D...but that cosmology doesn't belong in Eberron.

Eh, it didn't really get an update. The history remained identical with enough updates to explain the new stuff that was core to 4E. The year didn't move past 998YK, so really you wouldn't have seen anything different beyond explaining how stuff like eladrin and dragonborn fit into the world.
Eladrin, dragonborn, and tiefling were minor issues, because the setting already has places for those races to come from. More significant was the fact that 4E added the Nine Hells to the setting; Eberron's cosmology needed no improvements, and adding another plane divorced the cosmology from "the Baker's dozen".

Aldarc

Legend
There's only one correct cosmology for Eberron, and it's detailed in the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting. I'm a purist.

I liked 4E, and I loved the World Axis cosmology it brought to D&D...but that cosmology doesn't belong in Eberron.

Eladrin, dragonborn, and tiefling were minor issues, because the setting already has places for those races to come from. More significant was the fact that 4E added the Nine Hells to the setting; Eberron's cosmology needed no improvements, and adding another plane divorced the cosmology from "the Baker's dozen".
I'm inclined to agree. Eladrin, dragonborn, and tiefling strike me as non-issues since Eberron is a setting meant for everything. The integrity of the planes are more integral to the setting since their distance with Eberron has a real bearing on setting events.

Hellcow

Adventurer
More significant was the fact that 4E added the Nine Hells to the setting; Eberron's cosmology needed no improvements, and adding another plane divorced the cosmology from "the Baker's dozen".
Personally, I agree. I don't know if you have seen my Eye on Eberron article on Baator, where I did my best to correct this. In that I presented the idea that Baator wasn't a full plane on scale with the others; it was a created demiplane designed as a dumping ground for undesireables from all the other planes - the hole you throw angels, eladrin, etc who have broken the rules. The concept then is that it's only very recently that the prisoners have taken over the jail and that it's more of a gang-lords-building-power than ancient Blood War thing. Asmodeus is the cleverest of them and working hard to assert dominance. His making pacts with Warlocks is thus a NEW THING that even arcane scholars are puzzled about (They may have heard of some similar things back in the days of Ohr Kaluun, but not recently). So essentially, it makes Baator a recent development in the arcane world; even many scholars have never heard of it. And as a demiplane it doesn't have manifest zones, etc; it's not a full plane and not part of the Baker's Dozen.

As for Asmodeus himself, IIRC my description was that he was a creation of Siberys who claims to have taught Aureon (presumably the dragon Ourelonastryx) the ways of both magic and politics. His pride made him jealous of the Sovereigns - who offers prayers to Asmodeus? - and caused him to rebel agains the celestial order, which got him dumped in Baator.

Again, the main idea was to do something entirely different with Baator. It's NOT ancient in the way the other planes are. Asmodeus isn't a well-known established power; he's an obscure ancient legend who's only just taken over his prison and begun to build his power. In a setting where Quori, Daelkyr, and Lords of Dust are all ancient and storied threats, he's something new and mysterious.

Having said that, my point is that I am loyal to Eberron's core cosmology. If anything else gets dropped in, I'll always do my best to find a way to reconcile it with that, not to abandon it.

Personally, I agree.
I'm going to wear this like a badge of honour. :D

I don't know if you have seen my Eye on Eberron article on Baator, where I did my best to correct this. In that I presented the idea that Baator wasn't a full plane on scale with the others; it was a created demiplane designed as a dumping ground for undesireables from all the other planes - the hole you throw angels, eladrin, etc who have broken the rules. The concept then is that it's only very recently that the prisoners have taken over the jail and that it's more of a gang-lords-building-power than ancient Blood War thing. Asmodeus is the cleverest of them and working hard to assert dominance. His making pacts with Warlocks is thus a NEW THING that even arcane scholars are puzzled about (They may have heard of some similar things back in the days of Ohr Kaluun, but not recently). So essentially, it makes Baator a recent development in the arcane world; even many scholars have never heard of it. And as a demiplane it doesn't have manifest zones, etc; it's not a full plane and not part of the Baker's Dozen.

As for Asmodeus himself, IIRC my description was that he was a creation of Siberys who claims to have taught Aureon (presumably the dragon Ourelonastryx) the ways of both magic and politics. His pride made him jealous of the Sovereigns - who offers prayers to Asmodeus? - and caused him to rebel agains the celestial order, which got him dumped in Baator.

Again, the main idea was to do something entirely different with Baator. It's NOT ancient in the way the other planes are. Asmodeus isn't a well-known established power; he's an obscure ancient legend who's only just taken over his prison and begun to build his power. In a setting where Quori, Daelkyr, and Lords of Dust are all ancient and storied threats, he's something new and mysterious.

Having said that, my point is that I am loyal to Eberron's core cosmology. If anything else gets dropped in, I'll always do my best to find a way to reconcile it with that, not to abandon it.
Now that you mention it, I do recall that article! I think you did an admirable job coming up with something original for Asmodeus and Baator in Eberron, but yeah, in my mind it's still a less preferable option than just plain not trying to jam it into the setting.

With regards to Asmodeus and any other archdevils or demon princes (with the possible exception of Tiamat, though I've never explored it), my default approach is that such beings are the names of specific Rajahs imprisoned by couatls/the Silver Flame-force in Khyber since the Age of Demons. This way I can insert "cult of Demogorgon", "cult of Asmodeus", or "cult of Orcus" material into Eberron with minimal change--those groups are just specific Cults of the Dragon Below. (Anything to do with Orcus also fits pretty well as Blood of Vol stuff, too.) Tiamat gets special mention because dragons.

Hellcow

Adventurer
With regards to Asmodeus and any other archdevils or demon princes (with the possible exception of Tiamat, though I've never explored it), my default approach is that such beings are the names of specific Rajahs imprisoned by couatls/the Silver Flame-force in Khyber since the Age of Demons.
That's my default, as shown with Tiamat. However, when I converted the Savage Tide to Eberron I made Demogorgon a lesser entity who was free-roaming but bound to a demiplane in Khyber - essentially, one of the mightiest lieutenants of an Overlord, but not an Overlord himself. My reasoning for this is because, frankly, he's not tough enough. The Overlords are the equivalent of deities in other settings; when I statted them in 3.5, I made them the equivalent of Divine Rank 7 with 40-60 character levels. Given that Demon Princes weren't quite that tough - and given that he's much more active than the typical bound rajah - I went with the idea of him being a lieutenant who was never entirely bound, with his Abyss as a deep demiplane layer of Khyber.

Looking to Asmodeus, what I most liked about the approach in the article is that the idea that he is a completely new player on the scene. Tiamat, Demogorgon, anyone from the Age of Demons... they are OLD NEWS, and people know how they fought, what they did, etc. With Asmodeus, the idea was that even the Lords of Dust are saying "Wait, who is this now?" Tied to this, the idea is that he's using the lingering fear from the Last War to convince people to make pacts; "The world is a dangerous place. You can't trust your kings. But I can give you the power to defend yourself." So these covens are popping up, and nobody recognizes them or the powers they are using; you'd need to talk to an angel to have him say "Wait, that sounds like Asmodeus... but he should be gone forever."

The main thing is that given that most of the major threats are ancient, I like the idea of something new - and going to Baator itself, I like the image of a prison where the prisoners have ONLY JUST taken control, and where the hierarchy between the archdevils is still very open to debate.

Remove ads