[Wargames] Who Has Heard of Heavy Gear?

BrandonKF

First Post
So the introduction guy said the best way to open yourself to the forum was to pose a question. Well, here it is. Anyone heard of this particular miniatures wargame?

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, welcome!

Hmm, isn't that based on Mechs? I also seem to remember there was a computer game with that name...
Sorry, that's about all I can think of :-/

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Well, to bridge the gap: there has also been an Heavy Gear RPG, some 15 years ago. Similar to that Mechwarrior RPG I could never find much of interest in these games.

Oh, welcome to ENWorld, BrandonKF!

Bluenose

Adventurer
Dream Pod 9 make it; mecha are the focus, but there's also tanks and artillery; models are horrifically expensive; rules are actually quite neat, terrain and sensors are very important, and that makes tactical use of terrain really important, but if you don't like a degree of complexity you won't probably like them because they *look* complex at first glance. Sum of my knowledge of Heavy Gear: Blitz.

Heavy Gear was both a war-game and a RPG, with a lot of seamless interaction between the two (a major selling point for the game). It has a really, really well developed background through a multitude of supplements and a fairly neat roll-and-keep dice pool system. Very good game - and something of a sleeper hit in the 90s.

BrandonKF

First Post
Thank you all for your welcome. :)

As to the models being horrifically expensive, allow me to point out that the company has decided to open a Kickstarter in the week of October 20 to make their Gear models from pewter/white metal to a hard hobby plastic.

Most of the Gearstriders, striders, and tanks have already gone over to resin.

In addition, Dream Pod 9 recently opened up an agreement with the company Arkrite Press LLC to create the 20th Anniversary edition of the RPG line. You can read about that on their blog.

Edit: Sorry, here's the link to their blog: http://arkritepress.com/2014/09/19/arkana-returns/

Also, yes, two computer games. One in 1997, Heavy Gear, and one in 1999, Heavy Gear 2.

Now, Stompy Bot is creating Heavy Gear Assault, a combat arena video game taking place in the Heavy Gear universe. That will be for the PC, and it is in Alpha playtesting right now.

The link to that is here: heavygear.com

1799123_729050450465368_3558277602684960848_o.jpg

I've given some updates on more recent models here.
Also, I've provided some updates concerning the new Kickstarter here: Kickstarter for Heavy Gear Blitz

Last edited:

Remove ads