D&D 5E Tarrasque vs. Clay Golem (A thought experiment)

WaterRabbit

Explorer
This is why I have never liked the "can only be hit with x type of weapons". I prefer creatures to have a DR that must be overcome. The special weapon/attack in question ignores y points of DR.

So for the clay golem. They used to be immune to non-bludgeoning weapons. Say they have a DR of 25. Then a bludgeoning weapon ignores 5 points of DR and an adamantine weapons ignores 20 points of DR. While a little more complicated it also removes silly situations such as two werewolves unable to harm each other.

If they have 5 points of DR overcome by silver, they would still be formidable but difficult to kill. They could then harm each other on average, but it would be a long fight.

Or just have them and the tarrasque considered to be armed with silver/magical weapons. In general I always assume a creature can damage another creature of its type -- which also resolves the problem with the tarrasque.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Wow that’s some powerful necromancy. To the OP or anyone else I would say the golem is crushed as an object or structure. Done and done.

Dausuul

Legend
As soon as it no longer sees the Tarrasque (in stomach) that order ends.
No, it doesn't. The golem continues to follow the last order given to the best of its ability. The order doesn't become null and void if you throw a blanket over its head.

And the statement that the golem can't think for itself does not mean it can't think at all; only that it has no capacity to reason outside the framework of its orders. Within that framework, it has an Int score of 3, which is smarter than an animal.

The golem knows it was told to kill the Tarrasque. It saw the Tarrasque right up till the point it went down the gullet; that is enough information for an Int 3 creature to understand that it is still in contact with the thing it was told to kill, and it should keep punching.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No, it doesn't. The golem continues to follow the last order given to the best of its ability. The order doesn't become null and void if you throw a blanket over its head.

And the statement that the golem can't think for itself does not mean it can't think at all; only that it has no capacity to reason outside the framework of its orders. Within that framework, it has an Int score of 3, which is smarter than an animal.

The golem knows it was told to kill the Tarrasque. It saw the Tarrasque right up till the point it went down the gullet; that is enough information for an Int 3 creature to understand that it is still in contact with the thing it was told to kill, and it should keep punching.

Oh come one now, you're replying to a four year old post!

Remove ads