Wound Points/Vitality Points and Con loss

JoeBlank

Explorer
Hope I am posting this in the correct place. Wound points/Vitality points rise to level of optional rules rather than house rules, I think. If I am wrong would a kind mod please move this elsewhere?

We are considering using this system instead of traditional hit points in our campaign. My question: If a character gains temporary Con (rage or Endurance spell, for instance) then vitality points would be gained as well. Say my 10th level barbarian rages, gaining 4 Con and therefore 20 vitality points. At the end of his rage, he is at 15 vitality points, but still has full (say 10) wound points. When he loses the 20 vp from his rage ending, does he drop to 5 wp?

What about the converse: Same barbarian is down to 0 vp and 5 wp. Can he rage, gaining a total of 20 points, and if so does he temporarily increase to full 10 wp and up to 15 vp?

Would methods of gaining temporary hit points work the same way, increasing wp to full and then affecting vp?

Advice and opinions are greatly appreciated, but if someone knows how the d20 systems that use WP/VP handle this that would be very helpful.

Crothian

First Post
I'd say yes to both. If damage can't come off of vitality, it comes off of wounds, and wounds is always equal to your con score.

Croaker

First Post
I have also toyed with implementing the WP/VP system in a fantasy campaign, and it is very appealing.

The Star Wars Core book has rules for Wookiees flying into a rage, which is essentially the same as a barbarian rage: +4 Strength, -2 Defense (AC), +2 morale bonus to Will and Fort saves, and +2 Vitality/level. I believe the designers broke down the bonuses rather than just leave in the standard +4 Con because they didn't want to have the difficulties associated with a temporary increase to Wound Points. I would suggest amending barbarian rage to the same mechanic.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Thanks, Crothian. Your response only brings up more questions for me.

The system we had proposed bases wound points on size, 10 for a medium-sized character. Are you saying that another alternative is to use Wound Points=Con? If so, do wp go up and down with Con? Seems like that makes poisons and other effects that drain Con more deadly.

Thanks again.

Crothian

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Thanks, Crothian. Your response only brings up more questions for me.

The system we had proposed bases wound points on size, 10 for a medium-sized character. Are you saying that another alternative is to use Wound Points=Con? If so, do wp go up and down with Con? Seems like that makes poisons and other effects that drain Con more deadly.

Thanks again.

THe system I'm familar with does have WP equal con score. And they do go up and down with con.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases