D&D 5E DM purposely gimping my Warlock

daddystabz

Explorer
I joined a Ravenloft campaign that plays online over Roll20 and we had our first game last night. The DM started us with virtually no money and no gear....no armor, no weapons, nothing. We all had to be human as well. So given all that we were already having a tough enough time staying alive, especailly considering we cannot afford anything.

I play a 1st. lvl Human Warlock. I have 1 total lvl 1 spell slot. Until lvl 11 I will only have 2 spell slots total. The DM informed me last night that he has a couple of special house rules about resting. First off, you can only take 2 short rests per day and they have to be at least 8 hrs apart from each other. I was pretty upset considering short rests are the way Warlocks get their spell slots back. I only have 1 spell slot right now anyhow and will only have 2 through lvl 11 so basically this gimps me into being a 1 trick pony, completely reliant on my cantrips. Every time it is my turn I will only ever be able to cast Eldritch Blast repeatedly, boringly. My other cantrip is Blade Ward. When I tried to protest this to him he basically told me that I better re-roll into a different class then because this is how his game is going to be run. In addition, after a long rest he only allows you to regenerate 1 spent hit die back, rather than the half total hit dice you should get back, according to the rules of the game RAW. These changes especially affect the Warlock and he basically doesn't care. I am considering quitting his game as a result.

What do you all think about his crazy house rules and how it would affect you if you were playing the human Warlock?

Kai Wren

First Post
I wouldn't play with the DM if I felt his rules were unreasonable and his response was 'better reroll'.

So I guess that's how it'd affect me.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
It is definitely a power-down for the classes that recharge things on a short rest (warlock and battlemaster).

It's understandably frustrating that he didn't let you know of these rules before you made your character. I don't think they're completely unreasonable, however. I'd probably make a new character and keep playing, unless you think his style of DMing just isn't for you.

Thaumaturge.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Run far away from this DM and do not look back.

I assume hes doing this either 1)because he does not have a grasp on the rules and feels he cant adequately control his players, or 2)to fit in with the 'feel' of this particular game.

In either situation it screams BAD DM.

Bad DMs say no to situations they cant handle.
Good DMs say yes and deal with it.
GREAT DMS say AWESOME and make it memorable.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I concur. The character class balance is predicated on more frequent short rests; messing with that is going to really throttle down the fun for classes who get powers-per-short-rest instead of powers-per-long-rest.

I'd change characters, or respectfully explain to the DM why I was dropping out.

Sadrik

First Post
If the DM did not frame the reason why he is making the changes to the game that is bad. But if the DM adequately explained his rules and the reason or feel he is going for, I think that is another thing. If you like the DMs style of play and or these are your close friends and you want to hang regardless, you should be able to accommodate. Since this sounds like this is not the latter's case then I would recommend moving on if you cannot handle the house rules and you are set playing a warlock with standard short rests.

Peruse the house rules section on this site and look for a way to move your warlock to a more standard daily spell casting methodology. It is there. Then ask if you can do that. Theme still intact but standard spellcasting to fit into the other house rules better.

Meliath42

First Post
The game is about having fun...if that's not happening for you there's no reason to stay with a GM who's unwilling to compromise.

I would walk... I mean it is not worth trying to decode rules sprung on you like that. All of this should have been talked about during character creation...

bleezy

First Post
I think it's totally reasonable for a DM to have house rules on resting (especially since it is such a radical change from classic D&D) or any other game system. But he should probably tell you this before you pick a character.

In my campaign I made the healing rules a little more AD&Dish, but I told them about this from the beginning in case it would make them more likely to pick a cleric or other healer.

You should just tell him you'd rather he let you know earlier, and then pick another character.

EDIT: The DM should definitely not be singling out your character or one class in particular for gimping. If your DM hates warlocks or any other race/class in particular he should just tell you guys from the beginning "These are the races and classes available in the campaign."

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
IMO:
1. The DM should have made you aware of his house rules prior to play.
2. The DM should not have altered your spell slots.
3. If the DM had a problem with warlocks, he should have told you upfront. Given the nature of Ravenloft, i.e. domains being ruled over by evil lords, warlocks can easily attract their attention and ire. I can understand his concerns but he should have told you up front. I would have banned the class before I nerfed it.
4. I have played and DM'd in games which started with no gear/starting cash, or lost much of it later (usually to avoid drowning/escaping from prisons). It's challenging, but not something that's really out of line.
5. The short rests being houseruled and limited is fairly common. Particularly at 2-3 per day. Not sure about the eight hour rule between but that's still not something that I'd call out of line. Especially if you're dealing with an older school DM.
6. Regenerating 1 HD per level is a throwback to earlier editions. It's not really out of line.
7. I would leave the game. It sounds like you are more a fan of the gamestyle as presented in fourth edition and not earlier ones. In contrast, it sounds like the DM is more a fan of the gamestyle of earlier editions. Given your expressed frustration, it seems unlikely that you will enjoy this style of play.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases