Walking Dead 5x01 "No Sanctuary" - Spoilers

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Given lack of electricity, it's not like you can preserve butchered meat easily. Best to keep it alive and work on a Just In Time model.

Umbran's point notwithstanding, the Terminans did have electricity, probably from a generator; remember the sounds of the power saws?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seemed to me to be about describing a new type of enemy, a methodical, institutionalized evil that everyone is in danger of catching.

Except that the group very quickly destroyed it, and walked away.

The problem with institutionalized evil is that you need an institution. With the institution destroyed, and miles and miles behind, it doesn't sound like such a looming threat. So, if that was the goal, I think they missed the mark.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Except that the group very quickly destroyed it, and walked away.

The problem with institutionalized evil is that you need an institution. With the institution destroyed, and miles and miles behind, it doesn't sound like such a looming threat. So, if that was the goal, I think they missed the mark.

Because they overcame one threat the introduction was a failure? What a strange comment. This reasoning would destroy the plot of any book. And, I am more than sure they didn't yet overcome the threat. Not only will they meet other similar settlers this season (or missed settlers), they will be fighting themselves to stay human in a very real way...this is the real problem with an institutionalized evil...perspective it very difficult to achieve.

And of course I'm using the word 'institutionalized' in the broadest sense possible...because I'm describing a type of evil that is similar: not because I'm worried about institutions. I could just as easily have said a 'complacent domestic evil'...if you take my meaning.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because they overcame one threat the introduction was a failure? What a strange comment.

Not at all. You see, they defeated the problem quickly - it seemed like a threat, but turned out to not be much of one.

It is like presenting a member of a supposedly badass alien race, and taking it down simple and easily - it speaks to how the alien race's badass reputation isn't deserved.

This, as opposed to Woodbury, which lingered as a threat for a long time - there, the threat was the charismatic leader, rather than the institution, but the difference seems pretty clear to me. Institutions are easily broken, but individuals are harder to beat.

This reasoning would destroy the plot of any book. And, I am more than sure they didn't yet overcome the threat.

I think you may have misidentified the threat - the threat of institutionalized evil requires continued contact with the institution(s). It seems doubtful they're going back to Terminus - are you figuring the season is going to be a series of encounters with settlements, all of which are morally flawed to similar depth?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because they overcame one threat the introduction was a failure? What a strange comment.

Not at all. You see, they defeated the problem quickly - it seemed like a threat, but turned out to not be much of one.

It is like presenting a member of a supposedly badass alien race, and taking it down simple and easily - it speaks to how the alien race's badass reputation isn't deserved.

This, as opposed to Woodbury, which lingered as a threat for a long time - there, the threat was the charismatic leader, rather than the institution, but the difference seems pretty clear to me. Institutions are easily broken, but individuals are harder to beat.

This reasoning would destroy the plot of any book. And, I am more than sure they didn't yet overcome the threat.

I think you may have misidentified the threat - the threat of institutionalized evil requires continued contact with the institution(s). It seems doubtful they're going back to Terminus - are you figuring the season is going to be a series of encounters with settlements, all of which are morally flawed to similar depth?

The tension surrounding Terminus is not supposed to be "institutionalized" evil. It's the fear of false hope. It is (literally) advertised as the mythical "safe zone" that the group was looking for after their last haven was destroyed, but is instead preying (again, literally) on people's good intentions. It's a journey arc where the characters trek to the Shire but find themselves in Mordor.

The fact that Terminus appears institutionalized is incidental; its necessary to show that they're established as cannibals. Otherwise, it's possible that they lured the group in with good intentions, but just recently resorted to cannibalism due to extreme need (which might make them slightly sympathetic). The butcher room is proof that their intentions were evil all along (or at least as long as the main group's been seeking them out). It's also largely done for visual effect, which is fairly important in TV and comics.

Contrast Terminus, where several episodes were spent on the signs of hope and the journey, with Mayberry, where we saw the town in the first episode where we met the Gov but only learned of his dark side later. Both were established institutions, but they had very different dangers.

Janx

Hero
I think part of the problem is that there were things done for writing and pacing sake.

If Gareth hadn't walked in and interrupted, Rick and the boys would be dead simply because of how fast the butchering goes, well before Carol would have started.

Additionally, Carol's activity is what gave Rick the break to strike. if Carol didn't exist, or had been killed while on her private journey, things would have been different.

Technically, all these things happened perfectly because the writers chose to make it go that way. All things written are subject to this, so meta-gaming about how it turned out is kind of loopy.

What remains then is what the writers appeared to wish to show us or inspire in us.

They wanted us to hate Gareth and the Termites, and showing us how evil he was with is just business demeanor, as Conan said, he was once a manager at Starbucks.

They wanted to move on past a single set location (unlike The Farm or The Prison). So after the many episode build-up to Terminus, they had a quick reveal and resolution. I expect now to see a number of 'travelling" episodes as the group makes their way to DC.

Unless Gareth goes after them, or the group stays near, we won't see the Termites again.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
'Institutionalized' is probably a bad choice of words to define the evil but a good word to describe it.

You might have noticed a change from season to season regarding how various people encountered have changed.

I think you will find, this season, a great deal of people will have learned to accept the world in a much more tangible way. Peoples motives and reactions will start being based on 'this is how we live' rather than 'this is how we survive.' The questions and moral dilemmas will be long forgotten and replaced by a systematic complacency.

This will be the new difficulty for the main characters: they will see themselves reflected in the others they encounter. They will need to fight this complacency just as much as they fight the walkers.

In fact, I would not be surprised if they eventually find a larger center run like a military, totalitarian, community.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Umbran's point notwithstanding, the Terminans did have electricity, probably from a generator; remember the sounds of the power saws?
It was a terminal for trains, odds are there was gas/oil/diesel in the area and a lot of it, a basic tanker car holds 22,800 gallons.

Sadras

Legend
...besides the obvious problem everyone has already mentioned (lack of tension in the butchery), I am becoming increasingly irritated how "weak" the bad buys are and how they do not fight off zombies wanting a quick bite. They never utilise their hands/arms/legs to push them off or shove them away, the scene always cuts to the them screaming and being bitten without so much as a real struggle - just morons screaming while getting eaten. Lame! It's like they lose initiative and fumble at the same time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases