[D&D5E] Checking out a Monster CR

andreww

First Post
I am looking to peg the likely CR of a monster I am putting together for a convention one shot game which will run shortly. She will fill the role of Big Bad for the session which involves a night of terror with a town being plunged into continual night and attacked by undead, orcs and giants. She is something of a Jadis/White Witch figure and I have modelled her with some Warlocki casting and darkness themed powers. Her background is actually as an undead drow matriarch.

The group will all be level 7 and there should be 4 of them. The final confrontation is likely to come towards the end of the session although I am liable to allow them at least a short rest before it and maybe one mid fight due to NPC assistance. I have her at around CR8.

The Queen of Air and Darkness
AC 18
HD12 HP 108
Spd Fly 40

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

4/8

2/6

5/9
Shadows, +7, 60’, 1d10+5 necrotic, grappled, DC15, 2d6+5 necrotic each round, 3 attacks, no more than one per target

Immunities: Fear, Charm, Necrotic, Cold, Poison, Paralysis, nonmagical weapons
Vulnerabilities: Fire, Radiant

Overwhelming Presence: 60’ cone, DC15 wis, 4d8+4 psychic and stunned 1 minute, save each round at the end of your turn, Recharge 5-6

Utter Darkness: Constant 20’ radius darkness effect she can see through, lvl2+ light effect to negate

Summon Shadow Demons (3 Demons)

Spells (3/short rest, DC17) Armour of Agathys, Cloud of Daggers, Vampiric Touch, Blight, Dominate Person

Arcanum (1/day): Eyebite
I am allowing her to use Eyebite as a bonus action each round but maybe it should be a Legendary action option?

Legendary Actions (3/round, 1 at the end of any creatures turn)
1 action: Misty Step (30’ teleportation)
1 action: Hex any one target (+1d6 damage, disadvantage on one ability)
2 actions: Make a single Shadows attack

Shadow Demons
AC 13
HP 66
Spd Fly 30

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

3/5

2/4
Claws, +5, 2d6+3 psychic, 4d6+3 if they have advantage
In dim light or darkness can Hide as a bonus action, Stealth +7. Incorporeal, can move through objects and creatures
Immune: Cold, lightning, poison, exhaustion, grapple, paralysis, petrification, polymorph, prone, restrained
Resistance: Acid, fire, necrotic, thunder, non magical weapons
Vulnerable: Radiant

Cleon

Legend
I am looking to peg the likely CR of a monster I am putting together for a convention one shot game which will run shortly. She will fill the role of Big Bad for the session which involves a night of terror with a town being plunged into continual night and attacked by undead, orcs and giants. She is something of a Jadis/White Witch figure and I have modelled her with some Warlocki casting and darkness themed powers. Her background is actually as an undead drow matriarch.

You've got a bunch of COLOR=#000000 and /COLOR tags in the stats which makes it hard or impossible to read against dark backgrounds.

As for the stats, they look reasonable to me but I don't have enough experience with 5E to be sure that they're appropriate.

The Shadow Demons seem to be rather overloaded with immunities and resistances though. You could probably cut a few of those, such as the immunity to lightning.

Remove ads