Broadchurch vs. Gracepoint

Herschel

Adventurer
Just wondering how much people enjoy either.

I really liked Broadchurch. It had a great feel and the casting and acting was fairly spot-on all the way through. The story and roles seemed very cohesive.

I'm having trouble getting in to Gracepoint. The casting/acting is far weaker and the feel is off. I think part of it is the commercial break structure but teh style is just not as engaing. Anna Gunn would be fine, except she lacks Olivia Coleman's vulnerability. The priest is over-the-top creepy vs. Arthur Darvil's take on the role, and the change in the boys' club makes little sense. The English innkeeper seems more like a prop rather than a core character in the story where we're supposed to suspect "everyone". Even David Tennant's role (with surname change) seems much more shallow.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have only seen the first show, but I will keep this in mind to see if I develop an opinion.

Elf Witch

First Post
I am watching Gracepoint and I do think compared to Broadchurch it is weaker. There are small changes to the character and storyline that I don't think are bad but don't really add anything.

A lot of Americans never saw Broadchurch so I don't think that it is that odd a choice to make for America. If I had never seen Broadchurch I would think Gracepoint was really well done. My roommate never saw Broadchurch and she is loving Gracepoint.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am watching Gracepoint and I do think compared to Broadchurch it is weaker. There are small changes to the character and storyline that I don't think are bad but don't really add anything.

A lot of Americans never saw Broadchurch so I don't think that it is that odd a choice to make for America. If I had never seen Broadchurch I would think Gracepoint was really well done. My roommate never saw Broadchurch and she is loving Gracepoint.

Thar makes no sense at all. If a lot of people in your country haven't seen Broadchurch, then show them Broadchurch.

My friend has never seen Star Trek, but I feel that showing him Star Trek is a better idea than making my own version of Star Trek and showing him that.

I get the reasons behind most remakes. It's nothing to do with not having American accents or the scenery looking slightly different; folks aren't as stupid as we like to pretend they are and handle that stuff with ease. There may be a xenophobic contingent, but they traditionally don't affect viewing figures any.

It's mainly format and series length. Most American TV companies work on a different format (24 eps) to to the norm in the UK. So a remake makes sense.

That's why The American Office works as a remake of The Office. They wanted a bunch of 24-ep seasons, not two 6-ep seasons. Perfectly logical.

Replacing a series with a series of the same length only makes sense if they plan to do it every year. So I guess that's the plan.

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
Thar makes no sense at all. If a lot of people in your country haven't seen Broadchurch, then show them Broadchurch.

My friend has never seen Star Trek, but I feel that showing him Star Trek is a better idea than making my own version of Star Trek and showing him that.

I get the reasons behind most remakes. It's nothing to do with not having American accents or the scenery looking slightly different; folks aren't as stupid as we like to pretend they are and handle that stuff with ease. There may be a xenophobic contingent, but they traditionally don't affect viewing figures any.

It's mainly format and series length. Most American TV companies work on a different format (24 eps) to to the norm in the UK. So a remake makes sense.

That's why The American Office works as a remake of The Office. They wanted a bunch of 24-ep seasons, not two 6-ep seasons. Perfectly logical.

Replacing a series with a series of the same length only makes sense if they plan to do it every year. So I guess that's the plan.

I wish it was that simple but it isn't, it is a matter of rights. Broadchurch was shown on BBC America they have the American rights to it. BBC America is not available on every cable package and when it is it is a premium station. So it is not going to be seen by a large majority of Americans.

I agree with you that sometimes it silly what they do. From what I am reading Gracepoint is only a ten episode show so it is more like a mini series than a regular TV series.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wish it was that simple but it isn't, it is a matter of rights. Broadchurch was shown on BBC America they have the American rights to it. BBC America is not available on every cable package and when it is it is a premium station. So it is not going to be seen by a large majority of Americans.

There's no rights issue that competent negotiation can't resolve. Rights cost a lot less than making an entire series does.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Well, many networks are embracing the 12-episode season. So, once they've shown in Britain, there'd be little problem with putting those two seasons together,and show them back-to-back.

But, what about editing for ad time? The BBC doesn't show ads, right? So how long is an actual episode of a show these days for you guys? Could the time-editing issues enter into the decision to remake?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That seems to be the norm for anything Americanized, even tea. Though that has a tendency of getting thrown in a harbor.

unfortunately most of the American remakes of good British shows should also be thrown in a harbour (and yes that harbour with a u)

Remove ads