Broadchurch vs. Gracepoint

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But, what about editing for ad time? The BBC doesn't show ads, right? So how long is an actual episode of a show these days for you guys? Could the time-editing issues enter into the decision to remake?

The BBC doesn't, but Broadchurch had nothing to do with the BBC.

Elf Witch

First Post
There's no rights issue that competent negotiation can't resolve. Rights cost a lot less than making an entire series does.

unfortunately most of the American remakes of good British shows should also be thrown in a harbour (and yes that harbour with a u)

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they don't think Americans would be interested in a British show?

I know that when I watched Broadchurch on BBC America it has commercials just like Dr Who does. I hate commercials which is why I DVR the episodes then watch later so I can fast forward through them.

I think it depends Being Human was as good as the British as was Queer as Folk. But both Red Dwarf pilots were horrible.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they don't think Americans would be interested in a British show?

Who's "they". As I mentioned before, from the folks I know who work in US TV, it's all about scheduling and season lengths and nothing at all to do with xenophobia, despite what random theories folks like to speculate with on the intrawebs. People on the whole are surprisingly not stupid, and handle things not in their own exact accent just fine, with minor exceptions.

I know that when I watched Broadchurch on BBC America it has commercials just like Dr Who does.

Broadchurch is on BBC America? It's not a BBC show; it was made by ITV. Weird. I don't really know anything about BBC America, though (not a request for information).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I watch Dr. Who on Netflix - and love it . . . . .No commercials! Binge watching at season 7 episode 9 since the start of the Chris Eckleson season, was that season 4? Any way, I have watched many British shows, and not the American remakes. I still have many in my Que still.

Elf Witch

First Post
Who's "they". As I mentioned before, from the folks I know who work in US TV, it's all about scheduling and season lengths and nothing at all to do with xenophobia, despite what random theories folks like to speculate with on the intrawebs. People on the whole are surprisingly not stupid, and handle things not in their own exact accent just fine, with minor exceptions.

Broadchurch is on BBC America? It's not a BBC show; it was made by ITV. Weird. I don't really know anything about BBC America, though (not a request for information).

It has to with what will appeal to the 18 to 48 age group. And maybe Fox thought that making their own version would appeal more than the British version. It is an interesting thing because Fox like NBC, CBS and ABC shows usually have 18 episodes but Gracepoint is being advertised as a special ten part crime drama.

BBC America has ITV shows as well they advertise themselves as everything British but lately they have been branching out and showing shows like Star Trek the Next Gen.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It has to with what will appeal to the 18 to 48 age group. And maybe Fox thought that making their own version would appeal more than the British version.

Nah, you're misunderstanding me. The nationality of the show has little to with it. Americans aren't dumb. It's scheduling. They want to be able to make 10 years of it (if it proves popular), because that's the American TV model. They can't do that with a single ITV one-off TV series of 10 episodes. ITV ain't gonna make 10 series of it.

You'll see what I mean. If it's successful, they'll make another series next year.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have seen a few of the British mini-serieses and actually like them very much. It has 'closure' to the story. Unlike the doctor, I actually like endings. It means the start of something new.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think it depends Being Human was as good as the British as was Queer as Folk. But both Red Dwarf pilots were horrible.

Yeah even as I wrote my statement above I was reminded that the US version of Being Human was possibly better than the UK one, so it can happen - but the exceptions are few and far between:)

Morrus;6411180As I keep saying said:
nothing[/I] to with it. Americans aren't dumb, even though many of you guys like to portray your country as such.

OMG you've just blown every fundamental belief I had about the true nature of reality!!!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

It was a commercial station? Well, that's still an issue. In the UK, commercial stations are limited to about 7 minutes of ads per hour. Meanwhile, in the US, we get about 18 minutes of ads. So, in general, each show would have to lose about 11 minutes to fit into the one-hour slot, right? The original episodes might not be able to survive that without rewrites and reshooting anyway.

Remove ads