D&D 5E D&D 5E NPC Attitude Rules

Ruined

Explorer
Hello All. I'm using some older adventure path modules while running 5e, and I had a question about social interactions. In certain previous versions we had NPC attitudes (hostile, unfriendly, helpful, etc.) that you could adjust via social skills. I'm looking to mimic that with new rules, but I haven't found anything specific in PHB or the Basic Rules. I just wanted to check with the knowledgeable crowd here to see if there were any rules I might have missed.

Paraxis

Explorer
It might be covered in the DMG, for now I just use normal ability check DC's and skill rolls like anything else.

Getting some rumors from a tavern keeper Easy DC of 10.
Talking your way past a bouncer into a fancy party Hard DC of 20.

Stuff like that.

If you want to change hearts and minds of people, I would set the DC based on the initial attitude and for every 5 higher you reduce it a level, sort of like in 3e.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Search the interwebs for a copy of the last public playtest. It had a very simple and workable system that I liked a lot.

Ruined

Explorer
Thanks 77IM! That had exactly what I needed. (I still had a copy downloaded from last year - I just hadn't looked there.)

For those interested, it has three attitudes: Friendly, Indifferent, and Hostile. Each has a DC reaction check to see what the NPC will do based on a Charisma check. DC 10 changes it slightly, DC 20 changes their attitude significantly (for now).

As well: "Typically, you cannot shift a character’s attitude (either temporarily, or permanently) more than one step during a single interaction."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases