SPOILERS RULES

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A few people have accidentally had things spoiled for them recently, so I've put together a very simple spoiler policy.

1) If a thread is not marked with the tag [SPOILERS] do not put any spoilers in it. Spoiler tags used to work, but they don't translate to a lot of the recent ways to view forums (Tapatalk, etc.) and, let's face it, they're a bit of a pain the ass.

2) If a thread is marked [SPOILERS] post any spoilers you wish visibly.

A SPOILER counts as information prior to FIRST BROADCAST. This includes set photos, leaks, etc. It does NOT include official trailers or promotional materials.

So, if a thread does not have the [SPOILERS] tag, you are safe to view it if the show/movie has not shown anywhere yet.

If you want to discuss spoilers which have not yet been broadcast in the show itself, you are welcome to start a thread tagged [SPOILERS]. It's fine for a movie or TV show to have two simultaneous threads. You can join in the one your spoiler tolerance prefers.

I think that makes it as simple as it can be! If you see a spoiler in a on-spoiler thread, report it and a moderator can move it to a spoiler thread if necessary.

MarkB

Legend
So, if a thread does not have the [SPOILERS] tag, you are safe to view it if the show/movie has not shown anywhere yet.

If you want to discuss spoilers which have not yet been broadcast in the show itself, you are welcome to start a thread tagged [SPOILERS]. It's fine for a movie or TV show to have two simultaneous threads. You can join in the one your spoiler tolerance prefers.

I think that makes it as simple as it can be! If you see a spoiler in a on-spoiler thread, report it and a moderator can move it to a spoiler thread if necessary.

Just for clarification, if there's a non-SPOILER-tagged thread for a specific episode, are there any restrictions upon discussing the content of that episode? And, if there's a SPOILER-tagged thread on the same episode, is it acceptable to post a leaked spoiler for a later, as-yet-unbroadcast episode?

Not wishing to overcomplicate things, just checking what to expect.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
By what he's saying here - if the thread isn't Spoiler Tagged, then you don't discuss the content of the episode, other than what's been put out before the airing.

So, if you were discussing Star Wars: Rebels, and you saw an ad for the next episode that had Obi Wan Kenobi in it, it would be safe to say, "Hey, they had Obi Wan in the trailer, so he's probably in the episode!" But, after watching it, you wouldn't go back and post in that untagged thread, "OMG, Obi Wan got killed!"

I mean, really, it is simple - don't be a nozzle. You know some folks don't want to be spoiled. Be considerate. If the thread isn't tagged, don't put spoilers in there.

Janx

Hero
If a person enters a thread about a specific episode (like Dr. Who), and they haven't seen it, it's on them for the spoilage. Regardless of Taggage.

If a person enters a thread about a movie that hasn't been released yet, and that thread isn't tagged SPOILERS, the discussion should be about general things in the movie and not reveal secrets that somebody who stole the script has.

I agree it's good to alert folks to SPOILERS, but the reader has some culpability for entering a thread about their favorite topic that may share information they don't already have. If you haven't seen all of Breaking Bad, don't read stuff about Breaking Bad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The rules are here to be helpful, not punitive. And they're simple, not complex. It's not a system designed to cast blame or culpability, but to help inform about the contents of a thread in a simple way.

A SPOILER counts as information prior to FIRST BROADCAST. This includes set photos, leaks, etc. It does NOT include official trailers or promotional materials.
I think that works for me. That means a thread about a doctor who episode that has just aired can contain content about that episode, but not about the next episode that hasn't been aired yet.

GameNightLife

First Post
So glad that this is an actual forum rule.

I've missed out on a lot of good movies because people didn't even understand the concept of a "spoiler."

nerfherder

Explorer
So, can we post our thoughts about Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the non-spoiler thread after we've seen it in the UK or Germany on December the 17th?

Remove ads