D&D 5E Lost Mines of P: election day!

I just wanted to share something that emerged in our weekend marathon: to celebrate the 40th birthday of one of our team we were able to leave everything and retreat for a looong weekend in the mountains playing D&D, basically we counted 24 hours of gaming, a dream come true J

Caution: spoilers abund, players be warned!

We played most of Lost Mines of Phandelver and on the spot I made some variations which brought interesting results. What happened: speaking with Phandelin's villagers our heroes realized that:

1. Many people hated the Redbrands
  2. Herbin the mayor was inadequate

The PCs made quite an impression as they came straight from Cragmaw castle. They were the strong heroes and they had the intention to settle the score with the Redbrands. They also were worried about the aftermath: how to change the mayor…so they started asking questions in this direction.

It was easy to play the NPCs as possible sponsors of the PCs. Many of them, notably Halia (the tough lady from the Miners’ Exchange), the retired adventurer Eldath (drinking wine in his manor) and Sildar all wanted something different for the post-Herbin age, while Herbin of course didn’t want to lose his position.

This led to some improvised role playing where all of these NPCs asked the PCs to propose a different solution for the town after they (if they) dealed with the Redbrands. This led to interesting choices for the PCs, so it’s something I advise for DMs willing to play LMoP.

For the curious ones…

My PCs at the end decided to let the people of Phandelin choose their own destiny. After infiltrating the manor (Glasstaff escaped), the bard aroused the town with a song of freedom and they all headed to the Redbrands’s inn to judge the remaining few. But things went a little different that they expected... after some role playing and some bad rolls the angered mob made justice there and now by shredding to pieces the remaining few Redbarands.

Many good aligned NPCs were worried by the outcome, and I judged that the ambitious Halia had an easy game in taking over not the Redbrands, but the town rule.

A song was born, and it was a great night J

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

I just wanted to share something that emerged in our weekend marathon: to celebrate the 40th birthday of one of our team we were able to leave everything and retreat for a looong weekend in the mountains playing D&D, basically we counted 24 hours of gaming, a dream come true J

Caution: spoilers abund, players be warned!

We played most of Lost Mines of Phandelver and on the spot I made some variations which brought interesting results. What happened: speaking with Phandelin's villagers our heroes realized that:

1. Many people hated the Redbrands
  2. Herbin the mayor was inadequate

The PCs made quite an impression as they came straight from Cragmaw castle. They were the strong heroes and they had the intention to settle the score with the Redbrands.

An aside: Am I the only person that when they read about the Redbrands and Phandelin immediately had the A-Team theme song run through their head? This setup (small town off the beat trail, locals terrorized by known toughs) is used for like 90% of all the old A-Team episodes (it might be 100%, but just giving myself a bit of wiggle room).

After I read it I was seriously thinking about altering the entrance to the gang's headquarters in case PCs wanted to strap metal plates on a wagon and smash their way in.

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
I'm also running elections in Phandelin. They already eliminated the Redbrands and the players are blaming Herbin for letting the Redbrands do what they wanted. Right now is the Noble PC running against Herbin. I'm considering having Halia run too, and actually blackmail the PCs since she knows the Halfling was a Redbrands.

It's interesting to see other table take the same direction.

Lerysh

First Post
It's mentioned somewhere in the adventure that the Townmaster is a rotating position. Rather than hold elections I am comprising a Town Council who will appoint the next Townmaster after Herbin's departure. I'm looking to put this in the timeline pretty much right after the PC's clear Wave Echo Cave. The PCs have made Sildar look pretty good with their actions, and 2 of the joined the Lord's Alliance, so it makes the most sense to have Sildar appointed as Townmaster next.

The Lord's Alliance also strikes me as anti democratic. They don't want a man of the people to rise to power, they want order and justice to reign from their select group of lords.

If you do democratic elections you can appoint whoever you want as the DM anyway, but for my story it's an Oligarchy not a Democracy.

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
It's mentioned somewhere in the adventure that the Townmaster is a rotating position. Rather than hold elections I am comprising a Town Council who will appoint the next Townmaster after Herbin's departure. I'm looking to put this in the timeline pretty much right after the PC's clear Wave Echo Cave. The PCs have made Sildar look pretty good with their actions, and 2 of the joined the Lord's Alliance, so it makes the most sense to have Sildar appointed as Townmaster next.

The Lord's Alliance also strikes me as anti democratic. They don't want a man of the people to rise to power, they want order and justice to reign from their select group of lords.

If you do democratic elections you can appoint whoever you want as the DM anyway, but for my story it's an Oligarchy not a Democracy.

My player plan is to win by election but eventually get herself as the "Lady of the Land".

I'm not opposed to it but they have sidelined Gunter and the mine for the whole political plot. Sildar, is getting exasperated because the time they lose in petty politics is time the dwarf don't have.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain

Yeah, at a certain point the Lords' Alliance is a bunch of benevolent dictators. That said, I'm fairly certain that Waterdeep has a fairly high degree of electoral freedom for the populace, they just don't elect the highest levels of government.

A

amerigoV

Smart players would just take over the town and the mine. Really, who is going to stop them? Its clear these people cannot take care of themselves anyway.

Lerysh

First Post
Yeah, at a certain point the Lords' Alliance is a bunch of benevolent dictators. That said, I'm fairly certain that Waterdeep has a fairly high degree of electoral freedom for the populace, they just don't elect the highest levels of government.

Said highest levels of government, the Lords of Waterdeep, would likely tell you that all the elected positions don't hold any REAL power.

Remove ads