XCOM: Enemy Within - Long War mod.

Joker

First Post
Has anyone else picked up this mod for XCOM? It sports a host of new features and adds a great deal of tactical and strategic depth to the game.

From their own website http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/? :

Some of the changes in this mod include:

- An extended campaign requiring far more missions to complete
- Tactical missions that allow up to twelve XCom soldiers per mission with the right upgrades
- Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyrie, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Shogun
- New and modified perks, including Ranger, Sapper, HEAT Warheads, Lock N' Load and Javelin Rockets
- New and modified technologies, including Xenopsionics, Alien Biocybernetics, Pulse Lasers, Gauss Weapons and Advanced Aerospace Concepts, and many new foundry projects
- Five tiers of XCOM weaponry, many new armors and small items and S.H.I.V.s that can be equipped with perk-granting small items! See some of the new weapons here.
- Much earlier access to psionics and vastly expanded psionics tree
- A system of commissioning and promoting XCOM officers who provide bonuses to your entire squad during missions (replaces the Enemy Within medals system)
- Overhauled interception game, with five new UFO classes such as the Fighter, Raider and Harvester, as well as six interceptors per continent, foundry projects to upgrade your aircraft, individualized pilot names and pilot experience, and the Stingray Missile weapon system
- Overhauled strategy game, in which the aliens gather resources and conduct research -- efforts XCOM must interdict if it hopes to save humanity. XCOM can now retake countries by finding and conquering alien bases in those countries. Help council countries defend themselves by fulfilling their requests for alien technology!
- Aliens and EXALT forces grow tougher over time, gaining stats and perks
- New weapons for XCOM soldiers
- Soldiers rest after each mission, requiring the player to build a much deeper roster of soldiers
- Modified Second Wave options to support longer campaigns

If you like the last XCOM games you may appreciate the vast new options and challenging gameplay of this mod.

It is a lot more difficult than the vanilla XCOM but to be honest that got easy once you had access to the more powerful weapons and armor. I'm amazed at the work they put into it. The only gripe I have is that there aren't enough maps. You get a lot, A LOT, of missions. After a while they get a bit repetitive.

All in all, it's an awesome gaming experience. I can't recommend it enough.

MarkB

Legend
I've heard a lot of good things about it. Once I upgrade my PC to something that will run vanilla XCOM without occasional hiccups, I may give it a try.

Remove ads