Module with a good map

Crothian

First Post
As my group is finishing up Ravenloft I need to get some ideas for what they want to do next. One thing one of my players has been wanting to do is map out a dungeon or similar place in the old school way. So, what modules have the best maps? I'm not looking for something with too many levels or overly complex. But it does need to offer plenty of options in the dungeon and have some interesting cartography. Bonus points if it is actually on my gaming shelf. :D

the Jester

Legend
The first thing that comes to mind is Ravenloft, but that's what you just finished. :)

A couple of others also spring to mind, though. I bag on DragonLance a lot, but one thing you have to say is that the early DL modules had some excellent maps. I think it's Pax Tharka or something, in DL1, IIRC, that has another of those awesome Ravenloft-style maps with a cool elevator and all sorts of neat stuff like that. You could rewrite the module, just use that part of it, etc., but that map is a can't-go-wrong piece of cartography, IMHO.

You could also do worse than the stuff in I3 through I5 (the Desert of Desolation modules- I don't know how much the supermodule compliation changed stuff, but I suspect there may be different maps, since it got shoehorned into the FR :\). One of them has an awesome tricky pyramid full of misty passages and stuff. They'd probably need some tweaking, since one encounter includes like a bazillion mummies, spectres, wraiths, etc. coming in waves, IIRC, but the maps are fantastic.

I'm also a huge fan of the map in Dwellers in the Forbidden City, but that place is huge. It takes a lot of DM work to make it run smoothly, but it's a great one IMHO. But not a traditional map-me-out-I'm-a-dungeon type thing.

There are pretty cool maps, and a fully developed town, surrounding wilderness and handful of dungeons in L1, the Secret of Bone Hill, too.

S3 is a good one if you like to splash sci fi in your fantasy. Huge areas that it's easy to get lost in. Lots of levels. Cool weirdo monsters. You get to pull out an aurumovorax and a froghemoth, among others!

For traditional, old-skool mapping challenges and issues, you could go with the map in the 1e DMG (and its associated description, especially the interestingly-concealed secret door). There's another version of it in the 3e DMG, too. It has some cool stuff going on in it, that's for sure!

Finally, I'd like to say that the maps in Red Hand of Doom are beautiful, probably the best combination of beauty and utility that D&D has produced so far in maps (at least that I've seen). I don't know that there's enough traditional "need to map me" areas, though.

diaglo

Adventurer
does annadobritt still post on ENW?

edit: she was an absolute ace with the campaign cartographer programs from back pre d02

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
As my group is finishing up Ravenloft I need to get some ideas for what they want to do next. One thing one of my players has been wanting to do is map out a dungeon or similar place in the old school way. So, what modules have the best maps? I'm not looking for something with too many levels or overly complex. But it does need to offer plenty of options in the dungeon and have some interesting cartography. Bonus points if it is actually on my gaming shelf. :D
S2 White Plume Mountain. it has to be done old school to appreciate the map and traps.

edit: similarly the C series. C1 and C2 in particular rely on mapping as well to cause some kinks for the scenarios.

Crothian

First Post
S2 White Plume Mountain. it has to be done old school to appreciate the map and traps.

edit: similarly the C series. C1 and C2 in particular rely on mapping as well to cause some kinks for the scenarios.

White Plume is my favorite module but not exactly what I am looking for. The C series I'll look into.

Well Ravenloft is probably hands down the greatest D&D map ever created so just keep in mind everything else will pale in comparison.

You could try out the "Halls of Undermountain" the 4E product. I think it is awesome, easily convertible, lots of pathways and things to explore, npc's to interact with.

The Lost City (B4) - is an inverted ziggurat with a lot of cool stuff, but not too extreme with "mazes" that Desert of Desolation has, I disliked some of those.

Also, pretty much any of those maps that cartoon guy illustrated are awesome, that's the reason he chose those. Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Expedition to Barrier Peaks, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Tomb of Horrors
http://laughingsquid.com/beautiful-dungeons-dragons-walkthrough-maps-illustrated-by-jason-thompson/

Lastly
Temple of Elemental Evil
Castle Amber

Oryan77

Adventurer
I kind of liked the map to Forge of Fury and I recreated high res versions in Photoshop/Maptool. It may not be complex enough for a player to need to map out. I just liked the layout of each level and how there were various water routes and waterfalls running through it.

Crothian

First Post
I'm leaning to the B4 Lost City to start. That was the first module I ever ran and I ran it a number of times in the 80's but I don't recall using it since then.

Remove ads