O.L.D. Playtest Document: Book I - Characters (October 2014)

PDF version from 12:09 on 10/22.

pg 79 said:
INITIATIVE: This is recorded in the form of a die roll derived from the table above
and based on your INT attribute. Tactics and reactions both increase the number of dice
rolled. For example, if you had an INT of 7, you'd record 3d6. If you also had reactions
you'd record 5d6.
It looks like the skill reactions is worth 2d6

#3: Yes, the question is whether the skill die act as a cap on the weapon quality die.

New:
page 80 said:
Skills which can add directly to your DEFENSE include acrobatics, perception, and hardy.
I don't think perception and hardy belong in here

page 68 said:
Adolescent. Your youthful inquisitiveness gives you a +1d6 to observation and
intuition based attribute checks. Young. With the brashness of youth, you gain +1d6 to
jump gaps and on melee attack rolls when charging. Your adaptivity means that you learn
new skills quickly; you can purchase new skills for 20% fewer experience points.
The 'Youth' part is mixed in with Adolescent.

Vlagrate

First Post

I agree that Hardy doesn't sound like a DEFENSE skill as it sounds like being able to take a hit more than being able to avoid one. It sort of fits if you clarify that DEFENSE is for avoiding damaging blows rather than avoiding blows entirely, but as written currently that would be better represented by having Hardy provide something like a point of SOAK, but considering that Hardy already adds to HP it shouldn't add to other stats.

I disagree that Perception shouldn't apply to DEFENSE. You have to be able to accurately perceive what you're defending against, so being better at processing what you're seeing would help you in defense.

On the topic of skills & attributes: when multiple skills could add to an attribute, do all skills add to the attribute or only the highest/most appropriate?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
PDF version from 12:09 on 10/22.

It looks like the skill reactions is worth 2d6

#3: Yes, the question is whether the skill die act as a cap on the weapon quality die.

New:

The 'Youth' part is mixed in with Adolescent.

The time stamp doesn't really help. The system shows the times from your time zone. Your page numbers do appear different to mine though. Maybe I have a slightly later version.

Reactions. Just 1d6.

Hardy can affect DEF because END can.

Yes, the skill is the cap.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On the topic of skills & attributes: when multiple skills could add to an attribute, do all skills add to the attribute or only the highest/most appropriate?

The most appropriate, usually. Technically you can use any that your GM agrees are relevant, but you'd usually choose the most appropriate. That said, if a less appropriate one is valid and is higher, and the GM is sold on the reasoning, you can use that.

The time stamp doesn't really help. The system shows the times from your time zone. Your page numbers do appear different to mine though. Maybe I have a slightly later version.

Reactions. Just 1d6.

Hardy can affect DEF because END can.

Yes, the skill is the cap.

As to the version, there was a thread earlier in which we determined that the version currently posted is not the most current version. I haven't seen an updated version since then. If you are using Adobe, perhaps you can add a custom property.

Got it on Reactions, thanks.

Hardy adds to END for the purposes of calculating Health. Are you saying that it also adds to END for the purposes of calculating DEF?

My apologies for being confused with the mastercraft. The Skill ranks is the cap or the skill Die is the cap?
For instance, I have a player who has AGI 6, Bow 3 and a mastercraft Bow.
Does his attack line read: 8d6 attack, 6d6 damage {3d + 2d + 3d, 3d + 3d}
or 7d6 attack, 5d6 damage {3d + 2d + 2d, 3d + 2d}

BTW, good game last night {hence the number of posts}.. synopsis coming soon!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hardy adds to END for the purposes of calculating Health. Are you saying that it also adds to END for the purposes of calculating DEF?

Yes.

My apologies for being confused with the mastercraft. The Skill ranks is the cap or the skill Die is the cap?
For instance, I have a player who has AGI 6, Bow 3 and a mastercraft Bow.
Does his attack line read: 8d6 attack, 6d6 damage {3d + 2d + 3d, 3d + 3d}
or 7d6 attack, 5d6 damage {3d + 2d + 2d, 3d + 2d}

Skill ranks, not dice.

BTW, good game last night {hence the number of posts}.. synopsis coming soon!

Cool!

Remove ads