DMG Preview 4: Artifacts!

I'm not super fond of the art for the dragonorb. It looks more-knick-knack and less crystal-ball.

I'm not super fond of the art for the dragonorb. It looks more-knick-knack and less crystal-ball.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Holy crap, this is awesome! I love the story about Vecna and Kas, and how the sword of Kas is the only way to permanently destroy the artifacts. The players then immediately ask "So, where's the Sword of Kas?" And there you go, a free adventure hook.

Criticism of the art aside, the sketch tale of Vecna and Kas has always appealed to me. This particular version is the best of all at jumpstarting a set of adventures with clear goals. Well done that.

One can imagine a campaign world being torn apart by the two wielders of the Hand and Eye separated. Enticing them to combine is the only way to solve the problem (assuming you can find the Sword), but in short term it will make the situation even worse!

Did I say definitely? No, I said "invite optimism" when one works for a large publisher and is promoting the next giant release it should not be done with "spare time", in fact one would hope it would be reviewed by at least a couple of people before being sent out on even a small team. But hey maybe you are too new to remember the sometimes shoddy editing of past D&D products or perhaps you just don't notice /s

Yeah sorry about the overly slathered on sarcasm, but I really think it's such a minor detail, there's not really any point to talk about it. Besides, as far as I've seen there's only 2 errors in the Player's Handbook that I've seen, and none that I've seen in the Monster Manual, so I'm pretty confident about this version's ability to weed out errors.

Paraxis

Explorer
I am disappointed that so much of the preview material seems just so ever slightly altered versions of the stuff in the 1e DMG. It didn't take much work at all to make this book it seems, also the large ugly pieces of art that are just acting as filler distracts from it as well.

Agamon

Adventurer
Doesn't look like there will be very many artifacts in the DMG, if it goes from the Book to the Eye and Hand to the Orb in 2 pages. But, then, they are artifacts, I guess. How many does a group need? :)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Anyone notice that artifacts get extra random properties on top of the tailored properties? I find that quite promising

That was the way of the original, but it was a bit overboard in 1e IMHO. The way it is used here, it encourages the DM to modify the item slightly. And even if the party finds the best sage in the multiverse to "read the DMG entry", it is possible that even the gods do not know the exact details of these artifacts at this point in history.

I am disappointed that so much of the preview material seems just so ever slightly altered versions of the stuff in the 1e DMG. It didn't take much work at all to make this book it seems, also the large ugly pieces of art that are just acting as filler distracts from it as well.

Would you say the same about the classes in the Player's Handbook? Or the system as a whole? Or the monsters in the Monster Manual? Everything about this edition of Dungeons and Dragons is about hearkening back to the original D&D. Remember, that edition came out 40 years ago. The vast majority of people that will play this will have never played that edition before. Saying that it doesn't seem to have taken much work to make this book is very insulting to the people who have spent several years writing and designing it.

trystero

Explorer

Astrosicebear already said it in the figurines of wondrous power preview thread, better than I could:
attachment.php

(And anyway, the Hand and Eye of Vecna write-ups in the 1e DMG are just rehashes from Eldritch Wizardry.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads