D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

The_Gneech

Explorer
Note that the optional healing rules are what, half a column? On that kind of a basis, you could cram a lot of "modular systems" into a very low page count. I suspect there'll be more to it than folks are giving it credit for!

-The Gneech :cool:

Quickleaf

Legend
Interesting stuff! The large cosmology/planes section surprised me!

Anyone have any guesses on what "Villainous Class Options" (3 pages) might be?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Interesting stuff! The large cosmology/planes section surprised me!

Anyone have any guesses on what "Villainous Class Options" (3 pages) might be?

I'm betting those are the three pages where we will see the Death domain cleric and the Blackguard [Anti-]Paladin. Doesn't really seem like the page count allows for much more than that. Maybe one other, like, "Darkness" Domain [to work off the "Light" of the PHB] or otherwise generic crazy Demonic Cultist type. I mean, the PHB already has the Assassin, Ninja [Shadow] Monk and Necromancer...not sure what else there is...some examples of, like, a Cambion and Half-Dragon "villain" NPC?...maybe?

BigVanVader

First Post
No way, they're gonna have like a 'Facewearer' class, and mages that get their power from deady babies and stuff. It's gonna be totally sick and brutal, dude!!!! Totally extreme!

Anth

First Post
Both PHB and MM had their (few) optional rules in sidebars spread all over the books. Could it be that the DMG is organized the same way, with sidebars spread all over the book?

That would explain why optional rules in ToC is only 27 pages long.

Grainger

Explorer
Here's a link to Mike Mearls's column on Battlesystem:
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140428

In the column, he describes Battlesystem as "[a]n optional part of the core system of D&D Next." A lot of us assumed that that would mean that it would be in the DMG, rather than in a subsequent (less core) release. Of course, it's possible that it is, tucked under combat options or something, or that it was intended to be but got cut (for space, because it needed more development, or for some other reason) between April and now.

To be honest, the type of mass combat system I want would only need a few pages (I'm thinking the excellent, and succinct, War Machine from BECMI). I'm more worried if it becomes its own supplement, which suggests a minis-based system; something I definitely don't want (personally speaking).

Edit: oh, I see Mearls talks about minis and a grid in his article. :( It's not like the world needs yet another fantasy-based minis combat system really. Also, surely grid-less is the way to go with 5e? I'd also be surprised if they can distil a decent minis system down into a handful of pages, but I suppose it may be possible. Ah well, back to cannibalising BECMI for parts it is for me, then...

Last edited:

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Well, that and most of Part 1 and Part 2. I somehow got it in my head that DMing advice would come from online articles and such and the DMG would be more about options for the game.

Well, that's a bunch of stuff :) Seems like they're going on with the idea that the target will be new players as well as old ones...in this case I'm probably with them, after all this hobby needs new levies.

I can see you point though. On my part, I'm curious to see how they effectively put everything together, and especially the parts on the planes, and the downtime.

Remove ads