D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Two paragraphs on alternative healing. I hope one of them is for ritual healing.

Note that the optional healing rules are what, half a column? On that kind of a basis, you could cram a lot of "modular systems" into a very low page count. I suspect there'll be more to it than folks are giving it credit for!
But will there be enough room for covering sitting under pyramids while meditating on crystals? ;)

December seems far, far away....

trystero

Explorer
For anybody who expected the DMG to be a toolkit to rip, shred and splice the game into their favourite edition...I think disappointment awaits....I fully expect some information on converting material such as modules...
Except that this was promised. But apparently WotC choose to mislead about it just to keep interest in D&D alive from people who didn't like the playtest in the hopes that they will come around once 5E is finished.
Mearls has stated that conversion guides for older editions will be released after the DMG. I prefer this approach: I'd rather have them be separate publications and keep the core rulebook for the 5e rules.

RotGrub

First Post
The short paragraph on alternate resting and healing rules causes me some concern. I really hope there are rules to remove the default long resting rules and all forms of non-magical healing (hit dice and class features like second wind).

RotGrub

First Post
I'm with you: I'd prefer a narrative, abstract, non-miniature-based system, closer to the War Machine than to the original BATTLESYSTEM rules. But some people will want a tactical skirmish system, and a separate supplement could allow for both approaches.

I really don't think the AD&D battlesystem rules took up all that much space. I'm going to pull out my old rule books and do a page count.

barasawa

Explorer
Firearms, my thoughts. First thing that ran through my mind was, "This sure seems to have a Gamma World vibe. :) ".

Then, if you mean these guns to be a rare OMG Super Weapon! then go for it. On the other hand, if you intend them to be a more standard kind of weapon, maybe a gumshoe noir fantasy or even gunfight at the D&D corral kind of setting, there is a problem, too high of a damage rating, especially for those futuristic weapons. You'd probably want to do something to reduce the damage, or up the PCs HP unless you like party wipes. (This ain't Paranoia, so you probably don't.)
Along those lines, may I suggest that Kevlar undies be made common? (Resistance to Piercing, only from ballistic weapons, aka guns.) As to the lasers, I'd go with Reflec undies. (Resistance to Radiant, only from lasers)

I want guns, but I don't want technology! Well in that case, may I point out that little saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.", and the Doctor Who and Girl Genius variant of, "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.".
In other words, there's reason they aren't manufactured to use the magical properties of the world, as opposed to technological devices employing physics.
Along those lines, gunpowder could be an alchemical creation. Or how about this, the guns don't use gunpowder.
How about the rounds are no longer cartridges filled with powder capped with a bullet. Instead, they are specially crafted crystal rods with runecarved lead caps on one end. Or maybe bone cylinders filled with tiny prayers and runes inscribed on small strips of paper and capped with a bullet.
Along those lines, the energy cell used by the energy weapons could be a charged runeclip, a small package of very thin plates carved with runes and stacked inside a protective case designed to allow the weapons (or other items) to draw out their store of magical power as needed, though it doesn't help spell casters as it's not biocompatible, even for undead. (Maybe there is an undead or other special creature out there that can eat the juice in runeclips. Kind of a rust monster for your ammo.)

If you are worried about a tech item being replaced by a magical analog, don't, it's all engineering. The basic foundation of all engineering is function, and as I'm sure you've heard, form follows function. Many unconnected civilizations have developed very similar solutions to the same problems because of it. Look at bridges. Sure they are made from many materials, but they are all a surface you can travel on to pass over an obstacle. As such, they all have very similar features, despite many different construction materials, construction techniques, and locations.

Here's another idea for you to play with. Want to include some kind of powered armor, but want to make it more "magical". Just explain them as a form of wearable golem. ;)

RotGrub

First Post
I took a quick look at the battlesystem rules in AD&D. I really don't think you'll see anything similar in the DMG.

With that said, there is another set of rules that appeared in the BECMI rule set called War Machine (X10). That set of rules took about 3-4 pages in one of the modules. We might see something like that, but it would have to be a little more scaled down.

Li Shenron

Legend
Mearls has stated that conversion guides for older editions will be released after the DMG. I prefer this approach: I'd rather have them be separate publications and keep the core rulebook for the 5e rules.

I think the previous poster meant something different tho...

Conversion guidelines/rules serve the purpose of taking material of previous editions (most likely player characters, but also possibly monsters) and convert it into a form compliant with new edition rules.

Many people instead are hoping for the DMG to have guidelines on how to recreate the feel of previous editions, even when you use characters and monsters of 5e.

Ashilyn

First Post
Except that this was promised. But apparently WotC choose to mislead about it just to keep interest in D&D alive from people who didn't like the playtest in the hopes that they will come around once 5E is finished.

People seem to get confused over what constitutes a concrete, honest to god promise, and what constitutes a design goal. Nothing was ever promised, set in stone, and absolutely told to us that we were going to have the tools to make 5E into whatever edition we wanted. We were told that they were looking into modular rulesets to help emulate the feel of multiple editions at the table. In some ways, that's been accomplished right in the PHB. And there may be other rules that help emulate older editions in the DMG. But design intentions and goals change over the course of development. Look no further than 4th edition and how incredibly different it was from the initial talk and design planning we heard about, as well as how different it was form it's "beta" products (Tome of Battle and Star Wars Saga Edition).

Nobody lied, and there's nothing saying these rules aren't available in some form. Design changes with development, and getting hung up on "promises" and comments made one or two years ago across the ongoing development of a game is silly.

aramis erak

Legend
I really don't think the AD&D battlesystem rules took up all that much space. I'm going to pull out my old rule books and do a page count.

32pp rulebook, 32pp scenario book.

I took a quick look at the battlesystem rules in AD&D. I really don't think you'll see anything similar in the DMG.

With that said, there is another set of rules that appeared in the BECMI rule set called War Machine (X10). That set of rules took about 3-4 pages in one of the modules. We might see something like that, but it would have to be a little more scaled down.

War Machine was in the Companion Set, and in cyclopedia. In Cyclopedia, pages 117 to 126. In companion, pages DM17 to 22, and lacking the adaptations for sieges.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases