Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Bird-day leftovers dwindling, but still enough to serve up a traditional Louisiana and family fave for lunch/dinner today: turkey & dressing sandwiches. But for the bread, Mom went the traditional route. I put a new spin on it.

Usually, we make these on white bread, but we happened to have some roasted garlic bread from a local grocery/bakery. Not garlic bread like you'd get in an Italian restaurant*, but a French-style white with a hard crust, and whole cloves inside, which cook to a sweet softness when baked.

Onto that, Mom put mayo, bits of turkey meat, and (reheated) oyster dressing. That's all there is to it.

My twist: instead of mayonnaise, I upped the garlic quotient by subbing Greek garlic spread. This led to a depth of the garlic flavor that was truly sublime...and added a little tangy heat as well.

* note to self! that would probably ROCK!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Your description has my mouth watering, even though I'm reading it at 8.45 in the morning, which isnt't the prime time for a serving of bread with garlic!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you've ever heard a beauty consultant talk about using various products in the same line to "layer" your scent, it is very similar to what happened with this sandwich.

Here, the same applied: each ingredient was bringing a slightly different bit of garlic's character & personality to the sandwich. The turkey had some garlic powder on it- at least, on the skin. The oyster dressing had pan-sautéed & baked garlic within it. There was the roasted garlic bread (which I toasted, BTW). And the garlic spread itself, an emulsion made with raw garlic.

And, FWIW, since I got a lesson on how to actually MAKE that garlic spread, I may start experimenting with it. Maybe I'll add some other spices to the mix, or see how it blends with yogurt or soft cheeses.

Hell, it may be good for baked dishes.

One thing is for sure, garlic spread is a good substitute for mayo- which I love dearly, BTW- on hot sandwiches* and other meaty bready concoctions. It has a similar appearance & texture to mayo, but its flavor doesn't get wiped out the same way by the heat.

* I have also tried it on "hot dogs" and burgers, even serving them to friends, who usually found it to be a pleasant revelation.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did the same sandwich with ham instead of turkey- gotta save the bird for some soup tomorrow- and it wasn't quite as good.

But it was still good. ;)

My 8-year-old daughter adores a peanut butter, mayonnaise, and banana sandwich. Her eyes roll back in her head with pleasure when she gets one. Mine do too, but with disgust.

I used to eat Peanut Butter on Colby Cheese - just rolled up and eat it - no bread - just peanut butter and Colby.

As to the Mayo sandwich - we did the same thing, but with Miracle Whip salad dressing or Hellmond's sandwich spread.

Post Thanksgiving day sandwiches - Leftover Turkey, with cranberry relish or jellied cranberries, on rolls with gravy as a topper - drool.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Working with Easter leftovers now...

Rosemary & olive oil artisan bread, lightly toasted
High-grade EVO, drizzled on bread
Cracked black pepper
Cambozola soft blue cheese
Strawberry & pineapple glazed ham slivers

The herbaceous flavors of the bread, the sweetness of the ham, the bite of fresh pepper and the tangy blue cheese come together well.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
None of my friends are willing to be brave an try a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. I love them, my ma made them for me as a kid and I still have to have one occasionally...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases