Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Went into my favorite local Vietnamese place and invented a sandwich: I had them cook shaken beef (onions, garlic & steak in a brown sauce) sans the usual hot peppers and rice or pasta. Then I placed said dish on a baguette with some Sriracha, hoisin and tomato slices.

YUMMY!

Predictable, of course, if you understand that certain things people eat- many breads, crepes, tortillas, rices, tofu, pasta, potatoes, etc.- are neutral enough in flavor as to be- essentially- "flavor delivery systems". It's a principle I keep in mind when trying to introduce unusual foods to new audiences.

On my way out, the mystified waiter asked if the shaken beef might work on mashed potatoes. I told him that shaken beef would be BRILLIANT on mashed potatoes- visually, almost Vietnamese pot roast- and that I may even try that out at some future point.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Definitely gotta save this thread due to all the genius information in here. :)

When I was a kid, mine was
Bread
Cheddar cheese
Jelly
Ham
Peanut butter
Bread

I'll still occasionally do a peanut butter and cheese sandwich, but it makes a fried Twinkie look healthy. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Went back to roots today: thinly sliced baked ham & cheese on white with mustard & mayo, but I decided to try a different cheese...

I went to Rome in Sept/Oct, and got a new appreciation for what a good, aged Parmesan can REALLY taste like. And I bought some when I got home- been shaving it down into various dishes ever since. Today, it became the cheese on the sandwich. I was a bit worried, since aged Parm is very dry. However, the moisture in the mustard and mayo took care of that issue.

I was rewarded with a sandwich with the saltiness of ham & mayo, tang of mustard, and the chewy, nutty flavor of the Parmesan. This is an experiment worth repeating & expanding. I can see the Parm working well on a hot bacon-loaded sandwich, for instance.

It could also go a long way in further "Italianizing" your typical Italian grinder.

Went back to roots today: thinly sliced baked ham & cheese on white with mustard & mayo, but I decided to try a different cheese...

I went to Rome in Sept/Oct, and got a new appreciation for what a good, aged Parmesan can REALLY taste like. And I bought some when I got home- been shaving it down into various dishes ever since. Today, it became the cheese on the sandwich. I was a bit worried, since aged Parm is very dry. However, the moisture in the mustard and mayo took care of that issue.

I was rewarded with a sandwich with the saltiness of ham & mayo, tang of mustard, and the chewy, nutty flavor of the Parmesan. This is an experiment worth repeating & expanding. I can see the Parm working well on a hot bacon-loaded sandwich, for instance.

It could also go a long way in further "Italianizing" your typical Italian grinder.

The great thing about Italy is you can get fresh bread, cheese and great cold cuts in the markets. Fresh mozzarella on great bread with tomato and any kind of leafy green and olive oil is great too.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Pigs sleep and root in :):):):). That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

thats a damn lie!

Pigs are actually very clean animals. Yes they like to roll in mud water to cool off (because they don't sweat much) but when given sufficient space will absolutely not sleep or root in crap. They also will eat roots, leaves and dry food and it's only people who mix it to form a mushy swill.

factory farming of any kind is evil so only eat free range bacon

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases