A personal favourite:

-White bread
-Crunchy peanut butter
-Bee honey
-Feather-sliced smoked ham
-Baby leaf lettuce
-Chanco cheese (buttery cheese)
-Honey mustard

Oh, apologies; it's a linguistic thing. Over here, we use the term "miel" (honey) to refer both to bee honey and syrup (even though the more precise term would be "jarabe" or "sirope", no one here uses those words for syrup). And since wine palm syrup is as commonplace as bee honey over here, we are used to specifying which one we're referring to.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Wine palm syrup? I don't want to hyjack Danny's thread here, so could you shoot me a PM as to what that is? It sounds incredibly delicious!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hijack, schmijack- discussion of ingredients is fair game. So what is wine palm syrup?

Here is what he has sent me via PM:

Cristian Andreu said:
Hey Scott!

About wine palm syrup:

It's a traditional syrup here in Chile, which we use in all sorts of desserts, but most commonly with fruits, pancakes, and flan (my personal favourite is with bananas). There are other varieties in some parts of Latin America and Spain, but they all differ due to the type of palm used (each one has it's own flavour). Wine palm or Jubaea Chilensis is the one we use, which has a very particular flavour, due to being the only palm that can grow in cold climates. It's made from the boiled sap of the tree.

Wine palm syrup is more liquid than maple syrup, behaving sort of like caramel; it has a more earthy flavour as well. It's made in two varieties: Alone and with very tiny coconuts (about the size of a coin) produced by the palm. As with other syrups, it can last for a long time before spoiling, even if opened.

If you live in the US, I think these guys sell it: http://www.tuchileaqui.com/midepaco24n.html

Best regards,

Cristian

I would love to try this, but it will have to wait until next month.

Cristian, What is Pan de pascua?

It's a traditional Chilean Christmas cake, consisting thick sponge cake made with ginger, honey, crystallized fruit, nuts, almonds, and raisins, plus anything else people want to put in them. There are several varieties, my favourite being the one with marzipan and no raisins because, as Garfield taught us many years ago, raisins are dried bowling balls.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases