D&D 5E [D&D 5e] It's a Brand New World [FULL]

Phoenix8008

First Post
industrygothica said:
All of the information I have on the world is in the first post of this thread.
That's what I was hoping to confirm. Nothing else to contradict that isn't in this thread. Hope you're ready for a book to be written. Once I open the floodgates they may not shut off easily. I'm gonna have to read back thru everything everyone else has posted and see if I wanna use Kingsport or something else. More details forthcoming.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
That's what I was hoping to confirm. Nothing else to contradict that isn't in this thread. Hope you're ready for a book to be written. Once I open the floodgates they may not shut off easily. I'm gonna have to read back thru everything everyone else has posted and see if I wanna use Kingsport on something else. More details forthcoming.

Can't wait.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Interested!

A lot of ideas are floating around, but so far no rogues. So, a pitch for a half-orc rogue:

Garrison was born on the edge of the Tragic Jungle, and was quickly adopted into a home in Largo by a well-meaning family unable to have children of their own. He was three when the Buonnuevos themselves conceived a child, and six when their twins were born. Their progeny assured by natural means, Garrison had now become an embarrassment, a halfbreed who already looked like a teenager and who was considerably greener than the others.

The Buonnuevos were good people, though, and wouldn't cast Garrison out on their own. They were however willing to listen to a merchant who was looking for a cabin boy, and felt that sending Garrison to sea would show him the world and perhaps offer him a promising future far from Largo and their family. They did not know that the merchant was a slaver, and to this day Garrison believes that his family wanted the best for him, despite all that followed.

Slavery is regulated and in a few places outlawed, of course, but its persistence comes from the comparative inaccessibility of one continent from the other. Even the Tragic Jungle occupies a neck that separates one half of the Western Continent from the other, virtually requiring maritime communication to maintain effective trade. When Garrison was first brought to the larger Eastern Continent, it was easy to sell him in the port of Conybere to a local as a rower with a strong back. Since Garrison was not a citizen of the Free Town of Conybere, he lacked any legal recourse, and a few whippings were enough to convince him that continued service was the preferred course. He lacked resources to return home, and he was kept (with dozens of older men and women) in a barracks on a coastal homestead that would put the residents to employment as the master saw fit.

This was the beginning of Garrison's education. He learned what he could from the others where he lived, picking up tricks that would help him survive. Garrison was for the most part well-liked, and willing to help, but he did not attract attention to himself when he had the opportunity. He learned how to fight, and how to steal, and how to be wary. Sometimes he was employed on house business as an enforcer, and sometimes as little more than a beast of burden, carrying the possessions of Caerella, the mistress of the house, when she would travel. It was on one of those trips when her eye was caught by a dwarf owned by another travelling noble, whose contract she purchased in exchange for Garrison, leaving him in an unknown city, far from home, technically a slave but with no owner to claim him, ready to meet the world on his own terms.

(rough idea; half-orc rogue, perhaps with a dip into fighter. Other characters are of course possible, but it seems there are a lot of spell casters at the moment. Is there a chance that the game might start at higher than first level? I'm interested in any case, but I've seen a lot of low-level play, and online games often do not get much chance to level.)

Shayuri

First Post
I was thinking of my bard having Thief Tool proficiency, so you don't -have- to be a rogue. That said, if you want to be a rogue, I'd be happy to pick a different background too. There are several that would work well. :)

I think someone was wanting to be a wizard, so I shall shelf my sorceror idea. So now it's down to bardlock or druid for me, depending on how much healing I'll need to do. A pure druid would be a better off-healer than a bardlock, but I dunno if they can replace an actual cleric. We will see!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Certainly other ideas are possible, but for a low-magic world, I'm happy with a str-based rogue, with rapier (or short sword) and crossbow.

industrygothica

Adventurer
So far, interested parties are:

[MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] - Barbarian (Feylock)
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] -
[MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] -
[MENTION=211]Phoenix8008[/MENTION] - Paladin
[MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION] - Wizard
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] - Rogue

If no one has any objections, I'm content with calling it a group and moving on.

And now the fun begins...

We'll take a few days to firm up characters and backgrounds and PC relationships (if there are any). We'll go back and forth a little bit on world details and get that all settled, and then I'll make any necessary changes to the maps. Hopefully I'll have a few ideas to throw at you by the time all the sandboxing is finished, and I'll get the game threads going, including a new, cleaner OOC thread.

- Kobold Stew: You mentioned a couple of places in your write-up that weren't on any maps. Did you have a particular location in mind where you wanted these areas? Let me know, and I'll be happy to put them on the map for everyone's reference. It is also okay to rename places that are already there, unless they were specifically mentioned in the opening post.

Thanks again, everyone. I know we've got a tremendous group here, and I certainly hope I can live up to the standards I know you will set. I must admit, I'm a little nervous! :)

-IG

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases