Doctor Who s8e10 - "Dark Water" [spoilers]

Ryujin

Legend
I think the point was that they feel everything that happens to their bodies. Being disintegrated at the moment of death is irrelevant, because it's over by the time they 'wake up' in the nethersphere, but being cremated later on is something they'll feel in full force.

Then again, I'm not sure how much of that "connected to the body" stuff to take seriously. It could all be a tailored illusion within the Nethersphere - simply a case of using whatever it takes to convince the uploaded minds to voluntarily give up their feelings.

EDIT: Also, since when do cybermen need human skeletons inside them? The Cybus Industries version only kept the nervous system, distributed through the robotic body as a control mechanism.

Kidnapped my Missy and swapped out for meat puppets, as was the case with Stormageddon? That would explain the 'connection to the body', at least somewhat.

Without the skeletons you wouldn't have much to show, so it's purely for effect.

Janx

Hero
Something, Misty "Master" said: "Cybermen in Cyber space" makes me think, this is all happening in a virtual reality.

and that would support the Ghosts/souls thing going on.

Since the Doctor is freaking out in London about all the cybermen, nobody else is seeing them marching about. They're clearly not "in our plane of reality." Though that's also a similar pattern from season 1 eccleston. the "ghosts" were really projections from another reality of cybermen.

In this case, cyberspace IS the other reality. I'm assuming that the Doctor is operating in this cyber-reality representation overlayed on actual London, hence why he sees them, and nobody else does. I'm not quite sure if anybody reacted to the Doctor, I blinked during that scene.

so one AI theory I've long pondered, is that a human's soul is effectively the entire state/pattern of that person's neural network. thus what makes you unique or have a soul is that no 2 humans will develop the exact same neural network.

So what Missy could be chasing down is that when somebody dies, she's slurping up the neural pattern of a human. Presumably, this neural pattern is useful for forming the AI of a cyberman, sans emotions.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Enjoyed the episode - particularly how the Doctor stated in no uncertain terms his feelings about Clara. The reveal about Missy was a bit anticlimactic but only because I'd convinced myself it was Romana and was expecting some additional back story of a disagreement between the two during the Time War. After all didn't Missy refer to herself as the Doctor's wife (or girlfriend?) in an earlier episode?

Richards

Legend
After all didn't Missy refer to herself as the Doctor's wife (or girlfriend?) in an earlier episode?
I think she asked the clockwork robot in "Deep Breath" if "her boyfriend" had been mean to him.

The various suggestions that this is happening in virtual reality are interesting, especially considering the episode started out in a "virtual reality" of sorts with Clara throwing TARDIS keys into magma.

Johnathan

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
On the question of whether the dead actually do keep feeling or it is just a story which is being told... the only way that Missy's statement about the dead outnumbering the living only makes sense if there is a consciousness after death. If she can only capture people into the nethersphere at the moment of death, then she could only start doing that once she starts the process up - the masses of previously dead are not available.

Mind you, once you got the cybermen to start killing people, capturing their souls as they died and use them to create new cybermen to go out and kill people - that could snowball quite quickly.

On the question of whether the dead actually do keep feeling or it is just a story which is being told... the only way that Missy's statement about the dead outnumbering the living only makes sense if there is a consciousness after death. If she can only capture people into the nethersphere at the moment of death, then she could only start doing that once she starts the process up - the masses of previously dead are not available.

Mind you, once you got the cybermen to start killing people, capturing their souls as they died and use them to create new cybermen to go out and kill people - that could snowball quite quickly.

But she is a Time Lady. Couldn't she just be traveling through time to collect the dead at the moment of death?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If she can only capture people into the nethersphere at the moment of death, then she could only start doing that once she starts the process up - the masses of previously dead are not available.

So she goes back in time to 3 million years ago, sets it going, and then pops back to 2014 to see what she's netted. She can start it at any time (assuming she has a TARDIS available). She seems perfectly able to watch the Doctor wherever in time and space he is.

Remove ads