D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

Nebulous

Legend
Right now I just use excel and word for game prep and everything is running fine. I would buy a decent character & monster generator but it isn't like the game is unplayable without them.

Oh, it is absolutely playable. I'm not even bothered that Dungeonscape got scrapped, although my posts might sound otherwise. I just wanted a good monster builder with an extensive database of sortable, editable powers, and i saw Dungeonscape as the first step toward that happening one day. I can do it myself, sure, but it would nice to have a handy program make the process faster.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Agreed. I don't think I'm ever going to play another game that's so complicated you NEED digital tools. It turned out to be one of my major frustrations with the last edition. Being able to bang together a character quickly, with just the books, is something I love.

…but I still want to give someone money for cool and convenient tools. :)

Ricochet

Explorer
I've not been privy to any of the beta or inside knowledge, but I thought everyone was very, very pleased with the progress and it was on the very cusp of wide release??

Nevermind, someone else already replied, but yeah, wasn't looking too completed to me.

Seriously?!? SERIOUSLY?!? I have been waiting for a good set of digital tools since 2nd Edition. This is absolutely ludicrous. WoTC has squandered another opportunity to bring Tabletop D+D to MILLIONS of new players through iOS and Android supportive apps. I have lived through E-Tools, CMP's dismal failures, 4e's bungles, and now this. Don't they get that RPGers are generally a tech savvy bunch and would be willing to put scads of money into excellent aides?!? This really boggles the mind. Unfortunately I have already bought the PHB, DM and MM---but my purchases of 5e will stop there absent a completed, comprehensive game aide.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Sigh.

That didn't take long.

I just hope its the "curse of the digital tools" and not the "curse that seems to befall those that make D&D after some period of success".

At least I have my three books, at least...

Oh, wait.

evilbob

Explorer
Well, I am very sorry for the folks who put a lot of time and effort into something that got canned.

But I am very happy that project got canned. To be honest: it was a mess. The beta was shocking in how incomplete it was - I wouldn't have called it an alpha, much less something that should have been shown to the general public. I jumped into the beta within an hour or two of its initial release and was so disgusted I didn't even try to play with it again. It was six months to a year from finished, I'd guess - and that's because what it needed more than anything was to be thrown out and entirely redone.

I agree with the other poster that Pirate Cat responded to: this isn't rocket science. There are probably a few people on this board who could make that program in a few months, given compensation. Or maybe someone already has, or has started. It's possible, but whatever was being made wasn't it. Stop trying to get in the way and just get OUT of the way, WotC!

And finally, like others have said: the very, very, VERY loose idea that THIS was why we weren't getting legit PDFs of our books is now finally snapped. There is 100% NO REASON not to give us PDFs now. Not that there wasn't before, but now even the pretend excuse is gone. WHERE ARE THE PDFS.

MagicSN

First Post
Can someone tell me if there is any, ANY hope of a quality Monster Builder being released sometime in the near future, or at this point is that just a pipe dream maybe 1 or 2 years distant?

IF an open licence is provided, my 5e datafiles for Hero Lab also include support the Encounter Builder and Tactical Console (basically an initiative&combat tracker combined with a Monster/Encounter Builder). Admitted, the Monster Builder is a bit simple-done probably, but it works ;-)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is a sudden change.

Or, I should say I surmise it was. I was only accepted *into* the beta on October 27th - so the process of accepting people in was still running a couple of days ago.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Also, I spent the build up to the last 2 editions getting excited about the electronic support possibilities. And I've felt burned both times. This time, I'm trying a different tactic--I'm setting my expectations for electronic support at 0. I will be very happy with just the books and paper. Anything additional they choose to sell/provide will be a bonus.

Thaumaturge.

I'm quoting me from May. Glad I went into it this way. I am not disappointed.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads