D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

I was trying to decide whether to start a thread or allow the community to do it. The news is sobering and hopeful. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of this project - we couldn't have done it without you!

We're doing our best to answer questions but there are obvious things that we can't talk about, unfortunately. I'll be checking in regularly and likely not sleeping for the next 48 hours so don't be shy.

<3 Rachael

raleel

Explorer
I don't have enough information to lay any blame here, and I don't think I want to. However, I gotta wonder why it is so darned difficult for Wizards and it's partners to get out some solid digital tools. The community has done lots and lots of good tools, and sadly, have actually been hampered at points by licensing.

just frustrating that my hobby is having a hard time progressing with the rest of my hobbies.

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
The Story Machine is the technology that made DungeonScape possible by linking and parsing pertinent information and creating a dynamic user experience. There's a ton of info on it in one of our blog posts but those might be archived at the moment...

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't apply for the beta (since I have beta burnout) but I was looking forward to the app release.

I guess is pointless to speculate what happened. Those that know, know.

Best of Luck.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
...The link isn't working? Can someone please explain what is going on?

Here's the text of the post:

Greetings friends,

Today, we have news that is both sobering and hopeful. Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies will no longer be working together to develop DungeonScape for Fifth Edition D&D, and we will not be releasing the product in its current form. The beta program on all platforms will be shutting down at noon (MST) on Friday, October 31.

Although we can’t reveal all of the details regarding the future of DungeonScape, we are happy to say that there is indeed a future—so fear not!

This project, 100% internally funded, conceptualized, and built by our talented team at Trapdoor, has been a labor of love from the very beginning. We set out to change the way RPGs are played at the table—making our game night more about enjoying the adventure than searching for rules. We still hold true to that quest. We believe that our Story Machine™ is a powerful tool for converting information into something more useful and rich.

We’re working hard to solidify the details of what’s next for DungeonScape, and we’ll share that information with you when it’s appropriate.

Until then, please continue to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We’ll do our very best to answer any questions you have through social media or email.

Long live the adventure.

Love,

The Trapdoor Technologies Team

CubeB

Explorer
Here's the text of the post:

*Extremely Helpful Transcript Of Blog Post*

...Aww.

I had hopes for Dungeonscape. At least as a way of having the rules online. I had sort of a half formed dream of being able to buy a GM License so I could share rules with my online players without having to make them purchase the books (or worse, resort to piracy).

This is sad. I wonder what happened?

Remove ads