D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

In reply to Wolfskin's DDI comment: I noticed, following this week's WotC account update, that my account will grant me the ability "to read D&D Insider" materials, whatever that means. At the very least, the DDI label remains.

Bugleyman

First Post
I hate to say I told you so...no, actually I don't. I told you so.

Now is it OK to say the obvious: That WotC is dropping the ball on digital? Or to request PDFs without being accused of being entitled? Anyone? Anyone?
...Bueller?

Last edited:

halfling rogue

Explorer
No, I don't think they do. Their approach is different from yours, but there's no flaw. Let's look at PF. There are a lot of useful apps and other electronic format tools out there from hyperlinked PDFs from Paizo, to apps on the iPad incorporating the open game info and indexing it in different ways, to character builders, to searchable websites. The convenience of being able to access all of that from a mobile computer is very high. If someone prefers to run PF rather than get into 5e because of those tools, even if they'd probably enjoy 5e, I'm not going to knock that. They've got a method of accessing the game that works well for them.

We're walking a thin line here. I'm not necessarily talking about preferences. To say you can't or won't play 5e based on e-tools reveals a flaw to how you approach D&D, not because you like e-tools better than books, but because e-tools are not a requirement to play D&D. They are an aid. I'm not saying it is a flaw in how you approach your style of gaming or play, if you don't want to play without e-tools that's okay, but it is a flaw if you think it is (or should be) required to play Dungeons and Dragons. Based on reactions I've seen (again, elsewhere) folks are saying, "No e-tools!? No 5e for me". Again, it's a choice, but I happen to think it's based on a flaw in how they approach D&D.

I'll reiterate that this is a nuance I'm talking about here. And a nuance based on my own observation. I understand why folks are upset.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Why the heck not???
Because, in my opinion, it was awful. I'd get annoyed about every 30 seconds while trying to use it. Good riddance to Silverlight and the slow, bloated platform it created.

More importantly (and probably less opinionated), a mobile platform is going to be essential. Silverlight doesn't support that.

sgtscott658

First Post
What is it with the need for pdf's? If you have the actual book, scan in the pages you will need for the adventure you are running. If your making NPC's buy a notebook and jot down your NPC's stats then transfer them to a word doc. I personally do not use a computer at my table, it takes up too much room behind the DM screen. Index cards, npc stats and pdf's of the relevant info is all you really need.

As an aside, it does sadden me that the people working on Dungeonscape lost their jobs. Hopefully things will pan out for them soon.
Damn, I was really getting into the beta too. :(
So much for putting all of my relevant NPCs in there.

Bugleyman

First Post
What is it with the need for pdf's? If you have the actual book, scan in the pages you will need for the adventure you are running. If your making NPC's buy a notebook and jot down your NPC's stats then transfer them to a word doc. I personally do not use a computer at my table, it takes up too much room behind the DM screen. Index cards, npc stats and pdf's of the relevant info is all you really need.

"I don't game that way, so why should anyone?"

Stay classy. :mad:

Last edited:

Bugleyman

First Post
I just canceled my DMG pre-order. If and when WotC delivers water-marked PDFs, I'll be back. Until then, it's Pathfinder.

This is the second edition of D&D in a row in which I really like (kudos to the designers), but during which WotC's near-comical bumbling has driven me away as a customer. If they don't turn it around, there won't be a third. Really, did WotC learn nothing from 4E?

*facepalm*

Last edited:

Remove ads