D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

Baumi

Adventurer
There are many here who said that the path for the PDF ist now open (I really, really hope that we will get them!), but I don't think that was really the point of the Software. Of course you had all the Book-Stuff in it, but the main point of it was still the electronic Character and Campaign Management, which PDFs cannot substitute.

While I can live without a Campaign Management tool (Mindmapping and Notes are more than enough for me), a good Character Generator would be really helpful. I would love to make Chracters with a beautiful/useful sheet in under 5 Minutes for One-Shots or just tinker around with different Character-builds with just a few clicks...

Evenglare

Adventurer
Just FYI kind of off topic, but if anyone is looking to manage their campaign setting, or building a campaign setting get Scrivener. I just came across the program the other day getting prepared for Nanowrimo and it's so very awesome.

MagicSN

First Post
I hope this means they will do an open licence. Then I could release the datafiles for D&D 5e Hero Labs
on which I have been working for quite some while (Over 5 MB in size now) as a freetime project (based
on the Authoring Kit).

Please note I am in *NO WAY* affiliated to the makers of Hero Lab!!! I did this in my freetime and am just
a user of their program! I am not working for their company or anything like that.

As someone mentioned Multiclassing: It is supported (though at max 2 classes per character).

But without an open licence I cannot release it... now there is hope again for such a licence...

SigmaOne

First Post
Very Disappointing news. I'm really sorry to hear this [MENTION=6776908]Hobo the Delightful[/MENTION], but I'm hoping to hear about your future plans.

Last weekend I played with my Character for the first time fully on the app, and it worked great. It was much improved after the last update.

I guess I hadn't realized that Dungeonscape had been 100% internally funded... so WotC never actually invested anything in digital tools themselves?

I hope in time we can hear some of the details of what actually went down.

BoldItalic

First Post
[MENTION=6776908]Hobo the Delightful[/MENTION]

I'm sorry for you guys, you've put in a huge amount of effort. I hope you each bounce back and find a way forward that is good for you as individuals.

If you can't sell WotC content, maybe you can ePub third-party adventures (that's not a question - I know you can't respond to it).

Pull back, consolidate, and amaze us some other way :)

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Sad news indeed. After parting ways with GameTable onlines, WoTC doe sit again with Trapdoor Technologies. Best of luck to TT.

delericho

Legend
I'm sorry to hear that, though I was on the fence about whether I would have bought in or not. Still, I hope this doesn't affect Trapdoor or their employees too badly going forward.

Add me to the list of people hoping this clears the road for PDFs of the books, though. Those I almost certainly would buy (assuming the price is right, of course).

Henrix

Explorer
Wizards has a statement up, but it's very non-committal.

Wizards said:
The latest information regarding Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies/DungeonScape.

Wizards of the Coast has ended its relationship with Trapdoor Technologies and their DungeonScape application. If you participated in the beta and have questions regarding the application itself, please contact Trapdoor directly.

It’s never easy to end a relationship with one of our business partners, but we remain committed to creating great tabletop and digital gaming experiences for Dungeons & Dragons players and DMs around the world.

fjw70

Adventurer
Well darn, I was really looking forward to the Ebook. I guess PDFs will work too but WotC do something soon!

I don't need a character or monster builder. I was interested to see what they came up with for campaign management tools but don't have a specific need there either.

But I want electronic versions of the 5e books! Lucasfilm has annoyed me fir not letting FFG sell digital products for the SW RPG, let's hope WotC doesn't continue to disappoint with that too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases