[5e] Spell & Crossbones

[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION], and anyone else who cares to chime in...

I started reading the IC from page 1 and am now several pages in. It's actually pretty damned entertaining. I note, however, the captaincy split between Kat and Jim.

Barrington has just approached Kid at the Coral Curse, asking Kid's aid in a meet-and-greet with Komodo Roy. If Kid throws in with Barrington, is Kid declaring for Barrington's captaincy? And, if so, how are we ever going to join up as one party? I also note that it looks like Jim has been negotiating recently with the captain of the Winchelsea.

To clarify, I'm down for anything. I just want to know what pot I'm jumping in. And whether I have an oar to stir said pot. I need one of you to please clarify where the captaincy issue currently stands.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Kat is the captain. If/when Barrington returns, he'd be second in command. The split, as I remember it (not necessarily as it was) had a lot to do with his faith in Kat's ability as a captain...which hopefully will be assuaged by the events of the game. :)

And of course, there'll probably always be a competitiveness between them, which will make for entertaining gaming. The Starscream to her Megatron, if you will. (^_^)

Has second in command been extended to Jim in the IC? Or is that just what you've all worked out in the OOC?

I'm asking because I'm considering linking up with Jim and then suggesting we work with Kat. But if Jim has already accepted second in command in the IC, that'll change Kid's tactics.

Not, of course, that Kid knows any of this. Or...he might, if there have been whispers following the meeting with du Tourbillon at the tavern.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] Yes, I agree, we have a very entertaining group of players! And the DM isn't a witless hack, which is good too ;)

About your question, since I pitched this as a game of piracy I kind of expected there to be a certain amount of inter-party tension and/or skulduggery. Not over the top, and keeping this in the bounds of good sportsmanship is important, but I encourage you to have fun. My adventures generally have lots of interweaving paths, and especially with this sort of game; this allows individual PCs to join the crew or to go their own way (for a while). One of the virtues of PbP is that "splitting the party" can actually work a little more like a novel rather than a face-to-face session.

As for the captaincy, it is traditionally a position that is voted on, and so far Katerina is the one everyone seems to support. We also OOC came to the consensus that all the players we behind Katerina becoming captain.

Fair warning: I do intend to play around with this down the road. For example, Katerina might get captured, be faced with the choice of her ship or her child, or perhaps she conducts a mission and leaves another PC in command till she returns. In those cases Barrington (once he does join the crew) probably will assume a temporary captain role. Also I think that playing up a good-natured but heated rivalry between Katerina and Barrington makes things more interesting.

EDIT: Barrington as second in command was discussed OOC only, not IC.

Also, the whole Captain Wallace of the Winchelsea sub-plot is a bit of a red herring that I am using to reconnect Barrington (and now Kid) with the party. Spoiler: Captain Wallace isn't the gentleman privateer he appears to be. In fact, he's a ruthless S.O.B.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

It answers my question near enough, thank you. Kat is captain, and there is a professional rivalry between Kat and Jim. Got it. I can work with that.

By the way, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], not only do you have Jim quoting Herrick, but I now also gather that you may have seen the inestimable TV show Black Sails. You've had Jim articulate Calico Jack's manner of speech (e.g. "issue" pronounced "iss-yue") and have hinted that Jim and Captain Ben may have enjoyed intimacy. Just want you to know that if that is in fact your trope for Jim, I adore it and am on board. If it's not your inspiration for Barrington...well, he's still a finely drawn character.

Here's to working together.

I binge read the entire IC. Call it a byproduct of being stuck at a 4th of July festival featuring mud, mosquitoes, dirt bikes, rednecks, "'murica" t-shirts, and some crazy dude with a cannon.

JUST SHOOT ME.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It answers my question near enough, thank you. Kat is captain, and there is a professional rivalry between Kat and Jim. Got it. I can work with that.

By the way, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], not only do you have Jim quoting Herrick, but I now also gather that you may have seen the inestimable TV show Black Sails. You've had Jim articulate Calico Jack's manner of speech (e.g. "issue" pronounced "iss-yue") and have hinted that Jim and Captain Ben may have enjoyed intimacy. Just want you to know that if that is in fact your trope for Jim, I adore it and am on board. If it's not your inspiration for Barrington...well, he's still a finely drawn character.

Here's to working together.

Indeed -- and thank you very much, I appreciate the compliments. I've never seen Black Sails, but clearly it's something I have to watch, and might be inspired by.

And absolutely Kat is the Captain -- that's not in any doubt.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[5e] Spell & Crossbones (FULL)

Black Sails is AWESOME. I have yet to watch the second season that I have saved on my DVR *coughcoughFENRIScoughcough* but I am dying to!!!

:D

Last edited:

Remove ads