Classic Arcade Games Playable Online - Legally!

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I just saw this story on CNN: Project brings more than 900 Vintage Arcade Games to the Web

Direct link to the game page is here

This is a project by the same folks who do the Wayback Machine. I checked out two of my favorite, Black Tiger and Xevious, and they were pretty good. I got lag at times, but I'm pretty sure that was a weak system on my part and not an issue on theirs. Black Tiger didn't have sound. And the graphics on Xevious were not as good as I remembered - pretty sure that's because they were amazing at the time but practically stone age compared to today.

I spent a lot of time and quarters in arcades starting in about 1979, so I'm pretty excited to try some more of these out. Now if I can just remember the titles of some of the other ones I liked ...

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
The second most successful present* I ever bought for my wife was an old arcade cabinet that had been fixed up, with a new screen and new processor, and sixty classic games. She loved playing all those games as a kid, and playing them on modern computers never let her replicate the feeling of standing at the big machine with the joystick in her hand and the button under her thumb.

*Her favourite present was a pina colada chapstick.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think it actually is legal. Archive.org will seemingly put anything up, regardless of its copyright status. Remember how they had all those Dragon magazines for several months?

Remove ads