Alternate Warlock: The Spellstriker

aelioran

First Post
The current warlock is pretty cool. The abilities are unique, and it feels different from the other spell casting classes in 5e. I've been thinking that if I tweaked the flavor a little bit, it would make a great academy trained warmage type class, as it fits with the short-rest focused spellcasting. This also seems to fit the balance I was looking for in a Gish type class.

This was what I came up with: the Spellstriker "patron". This warlock has trained at an arcane academy that focuses on pumping out front line warmages. It blends martial mastery with defensive and offensive spell casting. So without further ado:

Spellstriker (Patron)

Expanded Spell List:

1: Thunderwave, Sleep
2: Blur, Branding Smite
3: Haste, Lightning Bolt
4: Stoneskin, Greater Invisibility
5: Dominate Person, Destructive Wave

Level 1: Studied Defense

You have studied specific arcane arts to aid you in martial combat and are able to magically ward off attacks.
You know the Shield spell and may cast it once per short rest without consuming a spell slot.

Level 6: Eldritch Riposte

You have learned to quickly take advantage of your opponent's mistakes.
Starting at 6th level, when a creature misses you with an attack, you may use your reaction to cast a cantrip you know. If the cantrip is an attack, it must only target the attacking creature. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Level 10: Siphoning Ward

You have learned to harness your enemies life essence through the brief connection made when your arcane energies envelop your foe.
Starting at 10th level, choose a damage type. Whenever you deal damage of the chosen type to a living creature, you may use your bonus action to gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum 11). You may choose a new damage type after a short or long rest.

Level 14: Arcane Strike

You have learned to weave your melee attacks with your most reliable spells.
Starting at 14th level, whenever you use the attack action, you may use your bonus action to cast a cantrip you know.

And here are some additional invocations that help flesh out the concept:

Channeled Blast
(Prerequisite: Eldrtich Blast cantrip)

Casting Eldritch Blast within 5 feet of an enemy creature does not cause it to be cast with disadvantage.

Arcane Blink
(Prerequisite: Level 12)

You may cast Misty Step at will without spending a spell slot or material components.

Well, there you have it. Thanks for taking a look. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free let me know what you think; the feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Remove ads