iPhone power and headphone cables?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I often connect my iPhone up in my car. It's an older car, so no Bluetooth or anything, but the headphone socked links to the stereo via a cable, and the power socket to the cigarette lighter so that Siri is active for hands-free use without having to touch the phone (Siri responds to "Hey Siri!" while charging). It's an ideal setup, as I can simply say "Hey Siri, play X" for music or "Hey Siri, call X" for hand-free calling through the stereo.

For various reasons, the stereo cannot be replaced with an aftermarket one.

The arrangement is fine - except for the fact that eery time I get in the car I have to connect up two cables to my iPhone (a power and a headphone cable) and then affix it to the dash. I have a magnetic thing which makes the latter a doddle, fortunately. But the whole connecting up two cables (I know - first word problems!) every time I get into the car is a PITA.

What I'd like to do is affix something to the dash which already connects to the stereo and power. So I'm literally just mounting the phone on that thing. It does all three (mount, power, headphones) at once.

So, is there such a device I can buy? If so, what is it called?

(Please keep tiresome phone-manufacturer-loyalty-wars comments out of this).

gadget.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks! The audio is output through the headphones socket, separate to the Lightning connector. It goes to the stereo, while the Lightning goes to an in-car charger in the cigarette lighter - two separate cables going to two different locations.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I see Kensington makes a "SoundWave" mount line that does power and amplification - rather than running through the car stereo, it just amplifies the iPhone's output itself.

Belkin makes a "bluetooth car hands free kit" - basically a bluetooth receiver that runs a cable to your stereo aux input. So, you'd plug in your phone's power cord, and then allow bluetooth to carry the audio.

My Google-fu has not found amount that does exactly what you have above, unfortunately.

Janx

Hero
I think the Lightning connector changed the rules.

There used to be this phone holder that plugged into the cigarette socket and then the phone sat in its cradle, getting power, and an audio feed to the stereo (power coming via the charge base, and the stereo line coming from the same base.

It was kinda aimed at trucks I think, as their lighter socket is up higher usually. Thus holding the phone at a useful height, and resolving the cable mess by virtue of the 30-pin socket in the cradle and the audio cable coming from that to the stereo.

That would have solved your problem

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I had several devices like what you're describing over the years (I think including the Belkin one), ultimately they all broke in relatively short order, losing audio or just ceasing to work altogether. I only recently switch to the model you currently have, and find it preferable, two cables notwithstanding. At least everything works. One day, I'll have a new car and I'll be able to connect directly via USB, but not any time soon.

Remove ads