D&D 5E DMing for Only 1 Player [Any Tips?]

edutrevi

First Post
Sometimes you don't have a group and all that remains is play with your neighbor / girlfriend / mom / dog...
Anyone already run a game for only 1 player? What tips you have for beginners on it?
How to adapt 5E rules for it? It works if I create 5 characters and let the player control all the group?

Raith5

Adventurer
When I have DM for small groups in the past I have also played an NPC to help them out. Also if the player is not capable or interested in playing two PCs, I suggest having capable henchmen.

Aside from making combats reasonable for the small size of the party, I think the key thing is create opportunities for creative play or opportunities that can avoid combats through creative play. You can still have fun with small groups in my experience.

Nebulous

Legend
Sometimes you don't have a group and all that remains is play with your neighbor / girlfriend / mom / dog...
Anyone already run a game for only 1 player? What tips you have for beginners on it?
How to adapt 5E rules for it? It works if I create 5 characters and let the player control all the group?

I have had great fun in the past running a single player through an adventure. I happen to have this old write-up with pictures (some pictures, some were lost) where I ran one guy through a scenario. It was for 4th edition, but the system doesn't matter, as it was mostly roleplaying.

What you want to do is stick to intrigue, mystery and tension. A player all alone knows that he/she is extremely vulnerable, and that is generally all you need to create terror. Making the situation SEEM more dangerous than it actually might be is an excellent tool in your bag.

https://app.box.com/s/nvx62moqevr9n9h9yj0d

Edit: A lot of people hated Keep on the Shadowfell. I did not, but I incorporated many new ideas, and it heavily influenced the scenario above. I had a whole Side Trek running simultaneously with KotS that intertwined with the plot.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Get the PC an NPC companion or two. I've successfully ran games for one player in absence of a group, but not without running backup party members myself. The problem with only one character in the party is that most encounters will be overkill, but if you tone them down for one PC they'll be almost non-challenging.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
one player is how most of my games were when I was a kid and they are a blast.

make it about that character being great. ruling kingdoms, etc. Not just running through an adventure, make it about the story and journey it will be more memorable. You can give them crazy artifacts and not worry about other player jealousy.

run with it

trentonjoe

Explorer
I've done this. It's fun.

Couple things:

1. Make sure you like the person, spending 4 hours with someone just talking can be rough!

2. Combat gets tricky. Four kobolds can flat out kill a 3rd level character in 2 rounds. If you use the encounter chart you'll probably need to half (or more) the XP/encounter guidelines.

3. Think about giving magic items that summon things. Bag of Tricks? Figurine of wonderous power? Wand of conjure help? Something like that will help.

4. Expect a lot of stealth checks.

5.Traps become super relevant, as do bluff checks, and a few other things.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases