D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Shayuri

First Post
Nia purses her lips. "My kind of magic is not written," she admits. "De spirits and loa, dey speak in de head, not on paper. I ken take a look...I know a fair few languages...but you be needin' a bookmage for more den dat."

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef had been taking it easy on the way back. He intentionally only carried the book and made no move to clear an oarlock or pick up an oar. He had been lost in thought about some of the self-same things the crew was wondering about. How this meager treasure could stand as payment. Of course it was merely a test and Blackbeard was claiming his own but still. Zef shook himself out of his reverie as he name was mentioned though. "What? Oh yeah, yeah. Let me look at it." Zef opens the book to see what might be inside.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Flynn had been back out in the corridor while the treasure was divided, standing guard. He hadn't seen the book before, but now that they had a bit of time, things were different. "I can look that over as well- I've read a few scholarly works in my time..."

Quickleaf

Legend
Making berth at a secluded patch of beach sheltered by two large rocks, Etienne carefully navigates the coral, the draft of the canoe just shallow enough to slip over the surface unscathed. No wonder the beach looked untouched; steep cliffs rose above it and the coral made approach by a sailing vessel perilous. By Katerina's reckoning the site is about a kilometer and a half down the beach from Komodo Roy's warehouse at Smuggler's Cove – where the guns for their future ship awaited. Once the canoe is secured aboard the beach and roped off, and you've had a chance to quench your thirst and find shade under the tamarind trees, Old Zef begins reading the latin text with Flynn looking over his shoulder.

Gaudium de Tenebris Astrologie. Loosely translated as the "Grimoire of Dark Astrology." Hardly light reading. This could take some time to get a grasp of the text...

GM: http://orokos.com/roll/499657 random encounter check (17+): 1d20 13 No encounter

Let me know if anyone wants to do anything for the next 30 minutes while Old Zef and Flynn peruse the book? Or if you want me to fast forward the scene, let me know? Or if you want to make this into an hour long short rest on beach?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina stepped away from the group while they all did their poking and prodding and studying, off into a pretty, colorful spot where she could keep an eye on the distance and make sure they wouldn't be disturbed.

The pirate let her small monkey loose, who immediately scampered up into a tree to forage for food, it had been some time since they'd eaten. Food, right, what was that again? She chuckled at that bit of smartness as she pulled out her shiny flask, taking a long, refreshing pull from it as she kept her eyes moving around the area.

God, how she craved a big, full bottle, a soft bed, a warm body in that bed next to her and carefree time to just enjoy it all.

Instead she had to go back to parlay with Blackbeard. And again act like she knew what she was doing. No - prove- to these people, that she knew what she was doing.

Luckily she had a stronger desire than the drink and a one night partner and a lifetime of training of how to take what you want.

She glanced quickly over her shoulder to look at her comrade's progress, then back again into the distance to keep them safe.

Quickleaf

Legend
The sunset waves lap softly along the shoreline as you recline on driftwood and small mounds of grass beneath a cluster of royal palms. With high cliffs to the north only navigable by a few feral goats, the empty beach makes as secure a resting place as any.

Nia is no stranger to concoctions and unguents. The first of the potions, with hue and consistency of maple syrup tastes bitter, deriving from some kind of root; however, after a few minutes of waiting, Nia notices several scrapes on her knuckles from the sea cave encounter have healed themselves. The second of the potions, with a suspended spider inside its oily pale liquid, smells strongly of alcohol, and tastes more strongly of it; after several more minutes Nia notices her pattern awareness increase ever so slightly and the tips of her fingers become hyper-sensitive – almost sticky – as if the grooves in her fingerprints deepened.

Old Zef and Flynn find the Latin of the Gaudium de Tenebris Astrologie archaic and slow-going. It appears to be a treatise on supernatural marine phenomenon including the "Sea of Stars" – a bioluminescent phenomenon that entrances sailors and circumnavigates the Caribbean, being rife with enchanting sea spirits – and the "Mare Tenebraurum" – a legendary dark sea once thought to be the Atlantic and now believed to be mere myth, some kind of primordial maelstrom which serves as a bridge between this world and some other existence. Among its pages are 3 scrolls used as bookmarks; Old Zef can make out the gist of the scrolls – drowned likeness*, arms of Hadar, and darkness.

While Katerian reflects under one of the palms, at the end of the rest, her monkey scampers back down with a bundle of yellow palm date fruits in hand (as well as several smearing her face).

GM: Just calling out [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] in case you missed this post.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases