D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[sblock=ooc]Int check for outfitting a check yields no further information: 1d20-1=9.[/sblock]

Barrington accepts the offer to go with Katerina to negotiate. "This sounds like a reasonable venture. I see some of you have served together before, and I believe that I could help in that, beginning with these negotiations. I suggest we accept this offer, and take his money. I believe I could be put to good use as one of the ship's officers. I have some experience in these waters." His crisp accent comes from clean white teeth in a broad smile. The Captain's force of personality seems unstoppable, but he knows he can help.

He turns to the group: "In my estimation, eight shares is greedy but reasonable given that without his funds we do not have a ship. I am concerned about the presence of his accountant, but believe that as long as he was not given any great responsibilities, his presence will not interfere with the running of a ship. I would require any salary he was paid to come out of the du Tourbillon's eight shares, and the officers would need to decide whether the agent should be permitted arms. I would vote against it, but it means he then becomes our responsibility."

"Before we speak with him we should consult with each other about the nature of the finances."

[sblock=shares discussion]My understanding is that on non-navy ships, every crewman was entitled to a share and certain officers could shave up to two. It was a much more equitable distribution of wealth than has existed at almost any other time. I'm not sure that this is accounted for in du Tourbillon's offer, which may be eight shares as measured against those that we (the party) draw. If we imagine a crew of 40 (?) plus 8 shares here plus 9 shares between the six of us (1.5 each?) that's 57 shares in the venture, of which du Tourbillon gets 8.

I don't think that's what is meant, though. Perhaps 30% of all cash from the ship (assuming it's found) goes to him. What happens to the 5000? If we own anything in the ship, it would be his; we could have the option to buy it out, but perhaps it would at tat point be possible to buy (or capture!) our own, and that would not be necessary. The remainder would be decided between shares for the crew and us. I suggest 1.5 shares each for items of cash value, recognizing that we could also skim special items off the top for ourselves. All booty would be divided among the shares, and would not go to du Tourbillon (his agent would perhaps be eligible for a share or 1.5 with this scheme).

Obviously this needs negotiation with the dm -- I don't know what assumptions du Tourbillon is working with. And I'm trying to balance what I low of pirate finances with typical D&D PC greediness. [/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Gentleman Jim - Intelligence (arming ship & crew estimating): Mostly Gunner Teague has this covered. However, Jim has heard of several English sailors fresh off their meager commissions who were negotiating with Captain Read Wallace for a place on his crew of privateers. They might be swayed if you get to them first or present a better offer.

[SBLOCK=shares discussion]Yeah, I literally meant 8 shares as you described. So, equal treasure to what 8 able seamen would get (assuming each got 1 share). Which is greedy but not entirely unreasonable considering the financial risk and unusual costs associated with finding/extracting sunken treasure. So with a crew of 40 (for example), giving each of yourselves 1.5 shares, and du Tourbillon 8, there would be 57 shares; if under such an arrangement you found, for example, 500,000 gp (a huge score from a Spanish treasure galeone), splitting treasure would go like this...

One share would equal 8,771 gp 9 sp, enough to retire in the lap of luxury to enjoy 12 years of comfortable living, or 24 years of modest living.

Each officer PC would get 13,157 gp 9 sp (total party treasure would be about 78,947 gp), about enough to each buy your own ship, villa, trading company, or maybe bribe a King's Pardon / Letter of Marque. Or enough to enjoy 18 years of comfortable living and plentiful booze, or 36 years of modest living.

du Tourbillon would get 70,175 gp, enough to do a great many things with! Or live out his next 48 years in wealth and opulence.

Negotiating his accountant Badouin's share (if any) and the distribution of "special treasures" are definitely worth bringing up. Also worth discussing are the ship's "slush funds" which typically cover repairs/supply/rum/shot and powder expenses & disability insurance for crew members. Believe it or not, pirates had one of the first formal disability insurance programs![/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hugo Van Haan

"Most negotiations begin with a clear advantage to the silent party, which we are to this point. He's undercutting, giving a price he can get away with for a charter and a crew of slaves or prison escapees," said Hugo, wiping the inside of the clay cup with a handkerchief and replacing it to the spot he took it from, all with an eye over his shoulder.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington humphs agreement. "On the other hand, given that he is the only investor, his request for payment in shares (and not only shares on top of his capital) seems very reasonable. Perhaps we could convince him to invest more for more shares. Really, I feel the request is comparatively moderate. If we can get more cash by doubling his shares, I would support that."

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hugo Van Haan

"It would seem you have the floor, Missen du Corazon," said Hugo with a shrug and a smile toward the woman he presumed would fashion herself his new Captain. "Careful not to make servants out of us."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Senor," she nods towards Barrington, "I do not believe getting ship's passage should earn this French fluff any more treasure. As you mentioned, some of us have served together before and we all have our ways, including possible to likely passage on a ship if need be. So I am thinking he needs to round down, and be put in his place. It's not easy to get an able crew together and there is a reason he came to each of us. I am certain he started his bidding high assuming we would start low."

Katerina takes another long drag of rum. "That is just my opinion and I do not pretend to know all. I am of course willing to listen to your or anyone else's theory why it should not be so."

fireinthedust

Explorer
Doctor Varlock's silence was measured, and he didn't move during the discussion... until now.

Let us not count our coins before they are minted. Half-shares breed mistrust and obfuscate the costs of a venture. Best say fifteen shares than share-and-a-half. Crew get one share a piece, officers three, our benefactor may have his third, after costs, provisions, and the like. Else he'd best prepare to fund our voyage through several ventures, to make up the cost of the ship and crew; unless he thinks the men will buy their own gruel, salted pork, and rum, or pay for each bullet out of their own pocket.

The doctor speaks without looking up, but his voice has the sound of authority, confidence, and the arrogance of one with knowledge of medical science. He swirls his drink in his glass, takes a sip, and grimaces at the poor taste, and spits. He still does not look up.

And one more thing. The tale of the missing ship speaks of sea folk and curses. Not a one of you 'ppear to mine eyes to be bokors or beloved of the loa. For this venture to succeed, you'll need to bring me along on this journey, else the entire ship risks being dragged below the waves by creatures of the deep. To keep my interest, I insist... upon a Captain's share.

He leaves this last to hang in the air, but sits calmly, waiting for the rest to react.

Fenris

Adventurer
And one more thing. The tale of the missing ship speaks of sea folk and curses. Not a one of you 'ppear to mine eyes to be bokors or beloved of the loa. For this venture to succeed, you'll need to bring me along on this journey, else the entire ship risks being dragged below the waves by creatures of the deep. To keep my interest, I insist... upon a Captain's share.

He leaves this last to hang in the air, but sits calmly, waiting for the rest to react.

Old Zef barks out a short, harsh laugh. "Swabby, I will give you marks for confidence, but you are speaking out the wrong end out your head. Ain't nobody getting more than their fair share. And until you prove otherwise you get a share based on your position on the ship. That is the Code of the Sea. As fer your Loa and Bokor, I seen 'em, I dealt wit' 'em. Ain't nobody here a'scarid of them things. So shut yer mouth and do your work and take your fair share, or take a hike off a short pier. We don't need no selfish bilge rat on this voyage."

fireinthedust

Explorer
Doctor Varlock chooses this moment to look up at the Old Salt, with a pair of strange, demonic eyes where human eyes should be: black orbs with bright blue rings, staring into the sailor with a look that says this man has seen the depths of hell itself. His mouth cracks into a damned grin, half-mad, as if Old Zef's laughter amuses him.

Perhaps you're right. Surviving the loa is one thing, and no small feat; but the cost of understanding them another. I have business with this venture, or I'd leave it to you for less than my usual fee. I'll take an equal share, for now. I'll let the Fates change your mind when the time comes.

He looks to the Captain. I am called Doctor Varlock by those with whom I sail. I recommend we find the ship and leave immediately. The... others in this tavern have heard too much as it is, and talk of gold as openly as we have done is dangerous talk. The sooner we get a head start, the greater the chance we'll outrun competition, and live to find this woman and her gold.

Unsung

First Post
The lamps suddenly guttered on their hooks, as if a breeze swept the room. A window slammed shut, alarming a tavern wench who had the arm of one of the Courlandians. [Cantrips cast: Thaumaturgy]

The gunner sloshed the contents of his tankard down his gullet, and got to his feet, his stubbled chin flecked with grog. "Speak not to me of who be beloved of your flitting hoo-doo spirits, Doctor Varlock!" The old man had not raised his voice, yet it filled the room like the dull roar of the crashing surf. "An accursed wretch be ye in mine eye, houngan, Mer-man, gone a-courting mere handmaids to the Great Mother Ocean, Queen Calypso! If the voyage do prosper or founder, it will be Her will, and no man's presence shall deter Her, not even Old Jones himself!"

The thunder of some distant storm rattled the wharves, and when Teague spoke again, his voice was soft and hoarse. "Make ye a wager with this tired old salt, Varlock. If yer presence be worthy of the boon you see fit to ask, I'll wager ye half of my share against the same of yours. If ye turn aside but one leviathan of the deeps, the bet's yours. But should some swimming beastie make a meal of the crew, then your half's to me. What say ye?"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases