D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
The tall woman stands, and tries not to snicker as the dwarf puts the doctor in his place. “We can talk our shares later. I venture a guess that a lot of us would do without treasure and gain but still work this trip for their own reasons. There is no need to be greedy here, if we work together we will all benefit and be successful.”

Katerina stands and nods her head, which causes her monkey to finish her peanut search and climb back into place on her shoulder. “But you are correct about one thing, we should stop sitting around yapping. I’ll go out now and see what I can do. Barrington?” she nods at young man who offered to accompany her.

She deliberately leaves her jacket behind on the back of the chair and she waits for Barrington to stand and join her. “Wish us luck, gentlemen,” she says to the remaining rabble. She takes a deep breath in, the only moment they’ve seen any bit of her poise falter, but when she exhales she is standing tall and confident. She adjusts her bosom just right and a bright smile appears on her face.

She strolls through the crowded tavern and outside to the verandah where she finds du Tourbillon smoking with his guards. “Señors,” she purrs before plucking du Tourbillon’s cigar from his hand. She stares him down while taking a long puff from it, then she offers it back to him, her red lipstick leaving a rosy ring. She purses her lips and blows out the smoke, just short of reaching the Frenchman’s face.

She smiles amusingly. “Ready to finish discussing terms Señor du Tourbillon? I believe we can come to an accord.”

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
ooc: Um, *pirate*! Also, Varlock is being mysterious and aloof, and hopefully leaving room for foreshadowing of dark things yet to come... But clearly no one believes him now, despite freaky eyes. (Which is totally cool, because plots thicken slowly over time :D Anyway, I speak Aquan and Telepathy, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point. :D )

Unsung

First Post
[OOC: I got that vibe from the good doctor, yeah. ;) I kind of got the feeling you were trying to stir the pot, right? Which is totally cool on a ship of, y'know, pirates. Also: not sure if anyone saw my edited post, last one on the previous page-- juuust finished it.]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[OOC: I got that vibe from the good doctor, yeah. ;) I kind of got the feeling you were trying to stir the pot, right? Which is totally cool on a ship of, y'know, pirates. Also: not sure if anyone saw my edited post, last one on the previous page-- juuust finished it.]

OOC: We don't have any pot stirrers, do we? Lol But no, somehow I did miss your post Unsung so thank you for bringing it up. Great post! Everyone is doing an impressive job with posting in character. Well, just my humble opinion of course. ;)

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington stands and accompanies the woman who presumes to be captain. He nods at her request, but says nothing. He takes a measure of those that have been summoned on this venture, judging the doctor's self-important bravado at the responses he received. They will clearly need a clear contract, side bets be damned.

Barrington stands, but suddenly seems distracted by a barmaid in the corner, at whom he waves with a wink. But then it's back to business. He picks up his hat, and follows Katerina to the negotiations. He's ready to interject if he feels he needs to, but he's had his stay. He's there to ensure a clear deal is struck.

Quickleaf

Legend
At the sudden swaying of the lanterns and crack of the shutters, several men and women release shocked sounds. None of them are strangers to storms, but with clear evening skies, the eerie booming storm is clearly unnatural. Gunner Teague recognizes is as a storm sent as an omen by Calypso...but what omen?

One of the Latvian mercenaries grumbles loudly, yelling back at the storm, to which the bar wench with her hand on his shoulder laughs heartily. "And here I thought the great Gvido Berzins was afraid of nothing, dearie?"

Laughing, the Latvian mercenary sparks a chorus of harsh laughter from his men, "Courlandians fear neither man, nor monster, nor storm. One Courlandian is worth twice any man on this gods-forsaken island! Only thing we fear is a pair of saggy breasts. Isn't that right zēni?" At this the rest of the Latvians raise their cups and give the hurrah. Shaking her head, the bar wench walks to pour some more drinks, catching the eye of Barrington as he walks across the tavern, giving him a demure smile before whispering with one of her fellow wenches.

*      *      *​

Outside the evening air is crisp and the clear sky is steadily darkening with a looming storm out at sea. The storm is still several hours offshore by the looks of it. du Tourbillon sits on a stool beside a small wooden table with two free stools. His bodyguards sit on the railing chatting in some eastern language - Hindi perhaps? - with a swarthy scrawny man. du Tourbillon is caught off guard by Katarina's boldness as she takes the cigar from his lips to take a long drag on it, blowing smoke over his face before returning it to the Frenchman with added lipstick. Arching his brow, Claude du Tourbillon glances at Barrington then back to Katarina as he takes the cigar. "But of course, Mademoiselle." He gestures to take a seat if they are so inclined. The only other person on the veranda is an ancient sailor with knobby elbows smoking in a rickety rocking chair muttering quietly to himself as if half asleep as he gazes out across the port of Nassau.

"Your manner tells me you have a counteroffer in mind? As I said. Eight shares and hastened news of my son Wynn should you learn what has befallen him. In exchange, five thousand louis d'or once you have secured a ship, more once we have found Lè Gloriosa to fund the diving expedition, and further financing pending...negotiation." He says with a sly smile, gesturing with cigar to what they are doing right now. As he fishes out two cigars for his new associates from his breast coat pocket, he beckons the man of Mughal appearance. "This is Badouin, my purser and a most agreeable fellow if ever there was one. Perhaps I should send him inside to get acquainted with the rest of your officers so they may gauge the man's worth? While we come to terms?"

Bowing from below the veranda deck, Baoduin gives a broad smile. He is a swarthy man with bright eyes dressed as a sailor with touches of Mughal influence in his garment and a dark crimson scarf wrapped about his neck. He speaks in a thick Tamil accent. "A pleasure, nanpari. Bharanishri Wappara - Badouin for the less linguistically inclined. Six years as a student of the wise Indian Sidhis, eight years in the Great Mughal's Navy, and four years now as pursur for Messieur du Tourbillon, at your service."

OOC: Gunner Teague - thaumaturgy: 1d100=1 As a cleric of the Sea Goddess, when Teague emulates a storm with thaumaturgy there is a risk of a real storm happening! ;) I'll say it's a 10% cumulative chance. Aaand...rolled a 1...there really *is* a storm brewing out at sea!

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Greetings Señor Badouin. A pleasure I am sure. Yes, why don't you go inside and find our associates. They are a friendly bunch," she tries not to laugh at that, "And will determine your seaworthiness."

She turns back to du Tourbillon with a half grin and chuckles. "If your man can survive that bunch without starting a fight, he will surely do well on our ship."

She takes the stool closer to the Frenchman. She hikes up her skirt and crosses her legs then half leans on the table, closer to the man. Her monkey hops off her shoulder, lands on the table and scampers over to the man's outstretched hand. The monkey grabs a cigar then darts back to Katerina. “Thank you, Senorita Bella,” she says taking the cigar with one hand and scratching the monkey’s head with the other. “She is so useful; you really ought to get yourself one,” she coos at the monkey before it hops back up on her shoulder and snuggles.

“So first, tell me Tourbillon, how do you see your man getting paid? If he passes muster that is?” Kat puts the cigar up to her nose and sniffs deeply but keeps her eyes on du Tourbillon.

Quickleaf

Legend
Badouin bows again to Katarina and Barrington, and makes sure his boots are clean before coming onto the veranda deck and entering the tavern. His eyes pick out the men readily enough - doctor, scarred sailor, and two dwarves as different as night and day. Old Zef catches the swarthy bright-eyed man who has entered the tavern circle for a moment, appraising the old dwarf and the others at his table, before making his approach.

"Gentlemen. Heren. I am Badouin, Messiuer du Tourbillon's man, at your service." He bows in a manner revealing former military service, though his demeanor is rather cheerful and wholly non-military. The man speaks in a thick Tamil accent, "I understand you are to determine whether I pass muster for this expedition. I have ten languages at my command, am well read in texts on natural sciences and philosophy, served as a gunner for the Great Mughal Navy eight years, and naturally I am experienced in maintaining ship's accounts. May I?" He gestures to an empty chair.

*         *         *​

du Tourbillon chuckles at Katarina's half-jest. He cannot help but study the little monkey in fascination taking the cigar from him as he hands the other to Barrington, offering his own cigar so they might light theirs from it. "Most impressive. It seems these other men regard you as captain, Madame du Corazon. I hope you train men as well as you do monkeys." He notices Katarina's seductive pose, but his eyes only linger for a fleeting moment. He is a tough man to decipher, this Claude du Tourbillon, and appears not so easily swayed by the fairer sex as other men, thou certainly he has never met one like Katarina del Corazon.

"Badouin? An equal share to any other able sea hand, I should think. It is the tradition of the sea, no?" He leans back, taking a long drag on his cigar while crossing his legs and blowing the smoke over his shoulder. du Tourbillon is no fool however, taking the implied meaning perfectly well. "You think his pay should come from my own shares, n'est-ce pas? I could be persuaded if you were to give me first pick of any books or ledgers you find in the wreck..."

OOC: Heren is Dutch for "gentlemen."

n'est-ce pas is French for "isn't that so?"

Barrington or Katarina can attempt Wisdom (insight) to get a read on du Tourbillon's negotiating strategy.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: Both Persuasion and Intimidation are being used overall in the negotiations.
Persuasion (1d20+8=19)

Intimidation (1d20+6=17)

This is to try to figure du Tourbillon's negotiating strategy:
Wisdom (Insight) (1d20-1=14)

She takes her time lighting and enjoying a deep puff of cigar. “Very nice…”

“First pick of books… what need have you of wet papers that have been lying on the bottom of the briny deep? No no… that is not my business. Usually those of us that ride the waves don’t have much need for ruined books.”

She looks at the cigar in her long fingers, watching the smoke curl off the glowing end. “I can’t exactly figure you out Señor. Surely you are a man of means, and seem like an intelligent fellow.”

Her look changes slightly, though she is still smiling her bright green eyes seem slightly more menacing. “It’s your wisdom that is perhaps in question…Obviously you have a huge set of cajoñes to come here, gather this group of rugged sailors, rogues and killers to do your dirty work, and insist on what amounts to an unheard of 10 shares of treasure PLUS knowledge PLUS you want us to guarantee the safety of your man while you sit safe and pampered at home. Surely you would imagine that you would say 8 and we would say 3, then you would offer 7 and we would counter with 4, before you came back with 6 and we would eventually settle on 6. Six shares for you, a fair share for your man to be determined on par with the officers, his safety, as much as safety as can be given for those at sea and you get first pick of whatever non magical books we find. Plus, you shall have the information you greatly desire.

You see, I did not declare myself captain, but most of these men know who my father was and some even served under him. I assume you also know who my father was and that is why you called me here. Therefore you know I have grown up on the sea and know my way around and my reputation precedes me. You would also know that I ALWAYS get what I want. I may have to work hard for it but eventually it always comes my way. None of the men I work with are afraid of hard work. You chose us because of you knew we would get this job done.”
She pauses and takes another drag on the cigar. “Training men IS a lot like training monkeys,” she laughs while rubbing the monkey's belly, “Though you reward the monkeys with bananas and the men with rum.”

“Five thousand louis d'or might sound like a lot of dinero however, when you are trying to care for the men you need to run the vessel, feed those 50 men and keep them well or care for their illnesses, stock the boat with all the equipment we need… well, you see it can get used up quickly if you do not have someone who knows what they are doing. We will endeavor to find the wreck in a month’s time – if we are frugal with our funds we should be able to support our crew and ship that long.

You probably also know that you are not alone in wanting to hire us on for work. So we must come to the proper accord quickly before someone else tempts us with more money and better terms.”

She grins broadly, “What say you Señor du Tourbillon?”

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases