D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington nods when Katerina turns to him, and curls his lower lip. The negotiation is distasteful, but he is pleased that she seems driven.

"I feel we can indeed promise not to be the first to attack ships should they be flying French colours. We shall of necessity respond with all appropriate strength should we be threatened by any vessel regardless of her nationality.

The share allocation will be written into the ship's constitution, and there will be no doubt among the crew that the riches will come from the common store proportionally."

Barrington returns to the topic of French ships.

"If we do not abide by this commitment, du Tourbillon, we will commit an extra two shares to you in order to reassure you for your national discomfiture. I trust that will be acceptable. Your fellow will be welcomed aboard ship, and can make himself useful I am sure."

Barrington raises his eyebrows, as if to ask if this matter is done. du Tourbillon looks like he's about to speak, but before he does Barrington continues. "We know we benefit from your sponsorship. In England we call such investors backing a project our Angels, and you, sir, have proved yourself to be one. If you should find in the next day or so that there was more that you could invest up front, I feel comfortable offering one additional share for every 1500 of your gold sovereigns that you can provide, with the constitution to be adjusted accordingly. The more capable the crew that we can secure initially, the quicker this entire enterprise may be concluded. That would also ensure that we need not seek lesser angels to distract from your support."

Quickleaf

Legend
Nodding in agreement with Doctor Varlok and Old Zef, Badouin's eyes widen in surprise at the sudden spray of seawater drenching Hugo Van Haan. "Gods! I see that in addition to being a professional misanthrope you are also an arcanist, grandfather dwarf. I shall endeavor to prove myself to you and the good Doctor on our joint venture then. And I shall make sure to watch out for sudden clouds above my head!"

The manager of Blackreef's Tavern, a dwarven lass with braided blonde locks named Ulsta van Djik, comes by with a rag while making her rounds, a rosy irritated expression on her face. "Now, I don't care if you're older than the whole port of Nassau, Jozef, but I'll not be having me floors made a mess of!" She tosses the rag to the very wet Hugo Van Haan. "Go on, clean yourself up!"

OOC: Gunner Teague - Wisdom (insight), Latvian mercenaries trustworthiness: The Latvian men certainly look and act like battle-hardened mercenaries of the sea: Swearing, drinking, giving the wenches grief, arm wrestling, and boasting of past battles. The leader of the group appears to be the muscle-bound one called Gvido Berzins. Whether or not they are trustworthy, however, remains to be seen.

Gunner Teague - Wisdom (insight), Badouin's ideal: There is an intelligence and a depth to Badouin's eyes that convinces Teague the man's motives for taking to the sea are almost spiritual.

*         *         *​

du Tourbillon smiles faintly when Barrington describes him as an angel, pursing his lips and giving a nod confirming their negotations have come to a natural close. Greater angels, lesser angels. He concedes the concern Katarina has raised about self-defense, agreeing oddly enough with Barrington, "Oui, Messiuer Barrington you are correct. A captain must defend her ship, no matter whose flag the aggressor wears. I find your terms of reassurance, the adding of two extra shares should my proviso be disregarded, to be agreeable. And I shall take into serious consideration your offer of adjusting the constitution, allowing you and your fellow officers to confer on the matter. I wouldn't want you to be distracted by other fish in the sea, of course."

Taking a long draw on his cigar, du Tourbillon speaks thru the smoke. "I think we understand each other well and have reached an accord, no? I shall draw up a rough draft of our contract tomorrow and have it sent to you for your review, Madame du Corazon. In the meantime, while you seek out a ship, I am staying at the Colonial Hotel should pressing matters arise." There is no hurry in his voice, and for a moment he watches the storm rumbling in the distance, which seems to be holding just outside of Nassau bay. "Well, shall we rejoin your officers inside for a toast to our joint venture?" He rises and gestures politely for Katarina and Barrington to go first.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Nodding in agreement with Doctor Varlok and Old Zef, Badouin's eyes widen in surprise at the sudden spray of seawater drenching Hugo Van Haan. "Gods! I see that in addition to being a professional misanthrope you are also an arcanist, grandfather dwarf. I shall endeavor to prove myself to you and the good Doctor on our joint venture then. And I shall make sure to watch out for sudden clouds above my head!"

The manager of Blackreef's Tavern, a dwarven lass with braided blonde locks named Ulsta van Djik, comes by with a rag while making her rounds, a rosy irritated expression on her face. "Now, I don't care if you're older than the whole port of Nassau, Jozef, but I'll not be having me floors made a mess of!" She tosses the rag to the very wet Hugo Van Haan. "Go on, clean yourself up!"

Amazingly, as Old Zef settles himself on the new comfy pillow, all the water on the floor and on Hugo disappear, leaving him dry if a bit bedraggled. "Don't worry your braids Ulsta, I have the boy cleaned up. Why don't you bring him something to warm him self up though" grunts Old Zef. As Ulsta leaves, Zef gives Hugo a salacious wink. He turns again to Badouin. "Yeah, I gots a few skills in this old body. Enough to have been ship's mage on mor'en one tub. Now how did a swarthy Dravidian get to a' workin' for whatshisname, Aurangzeb?" the words are nearly unintelligible through Zeb's accent. Dwarf tongues are meant for the hard consonants.

Quickleaf

Legend
Badouin sighs and wipes a hand across the table, before raising a tired smile to Old Zef, "I made the best of a bad situation. By the time I was a boy, Aurangzeb the World-Seizer had already taken most of southern India. A regional governor was installed in my hometown, a particularly ineffective man. I happened to be arrested by the governor over my objections to his poor budget and overtaxation just when a commander of the Mughal armies was passing by on inspection. The man allowed me to make my case for using old warships - which were idling in the harbor - to ferry supplies in order to reduce costs and thereby curb the need for increased taxes. Not only did the commander agree with me, but he enlisted me in the Navy on the spot. And, well, the rest is history."

Fenris

Adventurer
Badouin sighs and wipes a hand across the table, before raising a tired smile to Old Zef, "I made the best of a bad situation. By the time I was a boy, Aurangzeb the World-Seizer had already taken most of southern India. A regional governor was installed in my hometown, a particularly ineffective man. I happened to be arrested by the governor over my objections to his poor budget and overtaxation just when a commander of the Mughal armies was passing by on inspection. The man allowed me to make my case for using old warships - which were idling in the harbor - to ferry supplies in order to reduce costs and thereby curb the need for increased taxes. Not only did the commander agree with me, but he enlisted me in the Navy on the spot. And, well, the rest is history."

" A natural born bean-counter huh? Well good. A ship always needs a good bean-counter.Speakin' o' which. What kind o' tub is yer boss getting for us to do this little excursion?" asks Old Zef

Quickleaf

Legend
Spreading his hands innocently, Badouin accepts that he is, indeed, a natural born bean-counter. "Tub? Ah, I see! I savvy, matey!" He winks, utterly slaughtering proper sailor usage of 'savvy.' "As I understand it, Messieur du Tourbillon expects your captain to procure a vessel thru her own channels as a test of your resourcefulness. I believe his words were: A good captain could master any vessel I procured for him, Badouin, but a great captain would find just the right ship for this venture and his crew. And, par Dieu, I need a great captain to find Lè Gloriosa." With his heavy Tamil accent, Badouin's impression of du Tourbillon is almost comical.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
“Hold on a minute. We’re not done until I say we’re done.”

She stands and turns towards Barrington, the same menacing look as she gave du Tourbillion earlier as she speaks forcefully. “I do not know you Señor, and I brought you out here to test your abilities and to keep my eye on you. You do not like look like our sort, at most you are a privateer? So I an naturally distrustful.

While I do not necessarily mind your ideas, I DO mind you making offers in my stead. I speak for the majority of the group inside who have naturally elected me their Captain, either by prior service or rumors heard or by my very manner. You do not have to agree with them, naturally, and if you would like to challenge my role with the sailor’s inside we may discuss that later.

However, NO ONE is entitled to make those decisions for me and no one is going to make those decisions for me. You have no authority to make Articles for this group on your own as much as I would not make them without at least speaking to the other officers and having confirmation of exactly who is to lead this expedition as Captain and what the other officer's feelings are about said Articles.”

She turns back to du Tourbillion, and begins to once again caress the little creature on her shoulder. It’s obviously soothing for her. “Now, that being said, I do not mind offering shares for confidence in not attacking French ships, as I have already given my word and when I give it, it holds true. I do not feel it’s necessary but Señor, if you need to have that confidence I will give it.

“I understand that you would like us to acquire a ship first as an act of good faith. However, it really would be most helpful to have some funds so we are able to gather the RIGHT crew for this job. I have no doubt we will find a ship, and quickly, our small group here has but many connections and we should be able to charter one easily.

I will give you a small bit of information as good faith and then you may decide if you would like to provide us some funds up front. ”

She comes closer to the Frenchman and whispers, her full lips grazing his ear as she speaks.

[SBLOCK= du Tourbillion] “I believe the man you are searching for, the son who you believe is lost, to be alive. I have heard of him prior to you coming here. It will be dangerous for us to confirm this but we shall succeed, as we have promised.” [/SBLOCK]

She steps back and once again the smile is on her face.

Quickleaf

Legend
Pausing as he rises at Katarina's assertion, du Tourbillon watches slightly disconcerted as Katarina finishes her words with Barrington. It is understandable that privateers and pirates would have issues of challenged leadership, of course. At least Barrington seems a man of integrity, and Katarina del Corazon a woman of her word. He smirks at Katarina's artfully worded request for an advance, and hesitates for a moment. "Very well, you've agreed to my terms and Messieur Barrington's guarantee does indeed offer confidence. I see no reason not to acquiesce..."

Reaching into a small concealed belt pouch, du Tourbillon fishes out three polished garnets of violet, maroon, and brown-green as Katarina leans in close to his ear. The Frenchman seems nonplussed by this, as if he was not accustomed to having any person, much the less a beautiful woman, in such close contact. However, when he hears the whispered words, all traces of smirk leave his face and he produces two more garnets which he lays upon the table. Five gems in all. His voice is serious, struggling to conceal great emotion. "I trust that shall suffice? I am heartened by this news and by your confidence, Madame du Corazon. Do not consider this an advance, rather a discretionary donation on my part, a sign of my good faith."

OOC: Treasure - Katarina: Five garnets (worth ~50 gp each).

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Yes, that very much suffices," Katerina replies sincerely and the smile slowly fades off her face. "I understand missing someone, Señor, more than you know." She pauses, momentarily lost in thought.

She forces herself back into the moment, shaking it off. One side of her mouth rises cockily as she scoops up the sparkling gem, "Partners, yes? We shall be successful, all of us, whatever our varied reasons are. Now, let us go inside and share the good news, shall we?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Jim does not respond to Katerina's harangue. Instead his eyes hold those of du Tourbillon, though admittedly there is an unsettled response inside him at the woman's words that he does not understand. Is she so proud that she would not accept extra investment up front if it were not she herself that had sought it? He does not ask.

This is a disagreement for discussion elsewhere, in private, or in front of the crew if she will have it no other way.

Barrington does not say anything further to the Frenchman either, merely nods when the man acknowledges that he will consider increasing the stake, trusting that subsequent negotiations with this woman and those that follow her will encourage them to see reason.

Barrington bows slightly, unsure who Katerina's smirk is aimed at, and opens the door. This discussion is now finished, as far as he is concerned, and he is leaving while he still feels there is a chance that the extra investment might come.

Remove ads