D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
She went to a spot alongside Katerina's seat and surveyed the table with those strange metallic eyes, then said in a voice richly accented by a mix of French and African and Jamaican, "Forgive my intrusion. I am Nia Steeleyes, and we have business to discuss before de night swallows you up."

Katerina jumps as the dark skinned woman appears and speaks. She admonishes herself for not being more careful of exactly who was around and for letting her eyes and mind continually wander to one rather muscular Corlandian while everyone is speaking. Her monkey picks up on her emotions and jumps back onto Kat's shoulder, giving off a little growl which is rather high pitched and comical.

"It's alright little one," she coos while scratching the monkey's belly and turning more fully to face the woman. She stops dead in her tracks for just a moment. Underneath all the... stuff... this woman looked vaguely familiar. Her green eyes wander to the new woman's steel gray eyes looking back at her, boring into her. I think I would remember that she muses to herself, her eyes are rather beautiful in a creepy way. Very disconcerting.

She stands from the table. "Buenas noches, Senorita Nia. Aye, do I know you from somewhere? Exactly what business do we have to discuss? I am rather in the middle of a night out with friends."

Shayuri

First Post
"You are quick to make friends den," Nia commented wryly. "Good. As for me, I do not have your fame, Madamoiselle Corazon, so it is unlikely you know my name. I do not believe we have ever met face to face eidder." She shrugged it off as unimportant.

"De business is a ship in need of a captain, and a captain in need of a ship. I would put deese two tings togedder, but I have a condition for my assistance."

Nia paused to let that sink in, then finished the hanging coda. "I will be coming wit you."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"You are quick to make friends den," Nia commented wryly. "Good. As for me, I do not have your fame, Madamoiselle Corazon, so it is unlikely you know my name. I do not believe we have ever met face to face eidder." She shrugged it off as unimportant.

"De business is a ship in need of a captain, and a captain in need of a ship. I would put deese two tings togedder, but I have a condition for my assistance."

Nia paused to let that sink in, then finished the hanging coda. "I will be coming wit you."

Kat arches an eyebrow at the lady, still trying to figure out where she knows her from. "Aye, I was just telling myself we shouldn't be chatting so loudly out here." Kat looks her over, "I don't take just anyone on my ships Senorita because everyone is expected to chip in. You don't exactly look like the sort to be careening* or hoisting sails nor working the long nines." She pauses to look the lady up and down slowly. "Of course, I could be wrong about any of that. And it would be quite interesting to find out just how you have a ship the size we need."

She nods at Barrington. "Thank you Senor for acquiring privacy for us. Let us go with no further delays before the entire bloody town wants a job or to kill us." She follows Jim down the dirty, smoky corridor to the room. Once inside she looks over the barrels and thinks, How will they ever know... She shakes her head and laughs out loud to the joke no one else heard. It's no wonder you can never stay out of trouble Senorita Corazon. She waits for anyone who is accompanying them to settle in.

"Alright, the lady, Nia Steeleyes I believe, was just informing me that she has a ship but insists we take her along. She was just going to tell us how she can contribute besides distracting all the crew with her beautiful face. She leans back against some barrels, crossing her arms over her ample chest. "We're listening."

OOC: Check this out! Piratey Goodness

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hugo swings out of his chair and walks into the private room. How fortunate to have both work and possibly a ship acquired all in one day, God must smile upon their work and desires some item rescued from the warm waters. All was a mystery, but it was a mystery with some meaning, some Providence.

He lit a pipe and puffed and gave a little nod to the lovely girl with the ship, half-listening to the din of politics and positioning necessary to make plans for sea, the other half of his mind composing a sonnet to the beauty of women half old world and half new.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington thanked the barmaid for her kindness, and left saying -- or was he asking? -- "See you later".

When they reached the Captain's Lounge (an auspicious name, if ever there was one, given what he was going to say), and certain members followed him in, he shut the door and turned the key to lock it. With a gesture he invites the others to sit.

"Nia Steeleyes, it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is James Barrington." He smiles, and does a polite little bow with his neck towards her.

"I heard part of your offer outside, but felt that it was necessary to have some privacy before the conversation continues. You must forgive me if I continue with a conversation we were having before before we hear your proposal."

What I say, I say to Señora de Corazon. You know I do not say this in anger, but it is a matter that must be brought into the light. I chose some privacy so that I would not in any way cause recriminations on your reputation.

Your negotiations with du Tourbillon were weak, and you weakened the position of everyone who would be on a crew with you. You asked my opinion, and I offered it. When I did, your recriminations to me showed du Tourbillon nothing except that you cannot control yourself.

You refused the opportunity for additional funds up front, and in so doing showed that you set yourself ahead of the safety and wellbeing of this enterprise.

By turning away funds now you risk ever achieving funds in the future. In so doing you show yourself to be selfish.

You invited me to participate in the conversation, and when I did you chose not to listen to my words but to attack me verbally, claiming to speak for the majority of those here present. When you do so you characterized it as being because you felt you needed to test me. Well, madam, in this test it is you who have been found wanting.

You say you are a leader, but you have shown yourself to be impetuous, selfish, risk-prone, entitled, and proud. Everything you have said so far has been about you, and nothing about those whom you would ask to call you captain.

I have no interest in being abused for advocating for the safety and security of a ship, or for seeking the best footing from which to commence this business. I also have no desire to quarrel with you.

If this is not a fair summary of the negotiations on the balcony, I will never need serve beneath you on a ship's crew.

But I would ask you to think carefully about your next words, for not only will I judge you by them but so will the rest of the people here assembled."

Barrington eyes Steeleyes particularly with this last comment. He sits down in the most comfortable chair he can see, but does not make eye contact with Katerina.

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina glares angrily at Barrington for a long moment, the corner of her full lips twitching. She narrows her eyes and stays quiet in a long awkward moment in which a lot of breath is being held by those around her. Old Zef prepars for a barrage of Spanish profanities to come rolling out of those lips he knew so well.

Amazingly, that did not happen. Katerina du Corazon started laughing. And laughing some more. “I do not care about your feeble judgments or about your feelings in any of these matters. Your recriminations would have no bearing upon my reputation whatsoever, especially from a privateer as yourself. Obviously you are no pirate. I spoke for half the group assembled prior to negotiations and for possibly more than that, as you heard from your very ears they called me Captain. Regardless of your petty accusations, I had the success of this expedition firmly in mind and that includes MY CREW. My associates know the words you speak could never be spoken in truth about me. If there is one thing I take deadly serious, it is the condition and treatment of my crew.” She takes a long sip from the flask she filled when the rum had been delivered.

She rises from her sitting position and chuckles again. “You, however, are a liar.” She reaches into her pocket and pulls out the 5 glittering gems, showing them to the group. “I did ask for, and take, money up front; I just did not try to scare the poor man away by greedily asking for more whilst potentially giving up an extra thousands upon thousands of your guineas that would be his share once we find the treasure. As there were no other funds offered, you also lie that I turned down anything else.” She slips the gems back into a secure pocket.

“My very able associates informed me BEFORE WE WENT INSIDE that his offer of 5000 Louis d'ors would be sufficient to fund a crew for some time. Granted it is not enough to purchase a ship but you didn’t really think he would walk in and drop a million dineros into our pockets, did you?” She shrugs with her half grin, “Or perhaps you were a fool and did,” she chuckles. “It would not surprise me.

I held to what we discussed as a group inside prior to going out. I moved the Frenchman down to 6 shares with his man,
” she nods to Badouin, “To be paid according to whatever we decide as a group that our officers will make. You on the other hand chose to give up unnecessary shares as proof we would not fire upon his ships. Only a fool would offer that if the man had not brought it up himself. It is too easy for him to set a trap to try to gain more treasure and impossible for us to prove we did not fire first after being attacked.

I brought you outside to test your mettle, in which you spectacularly failed. You attempted to offer shares in which no one in here previously agreed to. Nay, you are the selfish one who was doing only what HE wanted out there. Who here knows of why you were called upon or what your own motivations are? Who here can speak for you?"

Her laughter dies down and a bit of the glare returns to her eyes. “You are also wrong about me being weak, very wrong. If I had truly been having a weak or uncontrolled moment, you’d surely be dead where you stood for daring to speak FOR me and my crew and tampering with the crew's gains. I happen to know some of their reasons for needing this to be successful and I have been working tirelessly to help us all. I doubt you can say the same.”

The toothy grin returns to her face and she returns to casually leaning up against a barrel. An observant eye however would notice her hand sitting on her pistol. “Since I do not agree in any form that you have given a fair summary of what happened outside, and according to your words 'In that case you will never need serve beneath me’ you may feel free to show yourself out,” she says waving her free arm towards the door, that infuriating grin still in place.

Shayuri

First Post
If Nia is taken aback by the sudden war of words between Kat and Barrington, she doesn't show it. Rather she simply watches and waits, with the air of someone who's quite used to doing both things, and can do them as long as it takes before the moment is right.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
There is a moment of silence before he speaks. "I am disappointed," says Barrington simply from his chair. He sighs.

"We all here have reason to seek La Gloriosa. This is the second time you say you are testing me. Rest assured, I have no interest in taking your test. Calling me a liar in anger? ..." Barrington shrugs, as if he considers the matter beneath notice. "I have secured this room for those who wish to succeed in finding La Gloriosa. It is you who may leave, Señora. Any one else , however, may stay if they wish." Again his eyes settle on Nia at the end of his speech.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina laughs again. "Oh, you haven't seen me angry. Not even close. Lucky for you I am done with you and your drivel, I have actual business to attend to."

She turns to the mysterious Island woman. "Senorita Nia, you mentioned you have a deal for me, one which I am very ready to entertain. But not here, there is bad mojo in this place. So if you wish my help and to join our voyage, please feel free to join me."

Next she turns to the group. "I have secured the money from du Tourbillon. Rest assured he will not release the funds to anyone but me and that is only after I've secured the ship, which I intend to do presently. I've provided our benefactor with valuable information and given him confidence in our venture. His confidence in me was assured by his gift of the gems. Baudoin, I am fairly certain you know who your master considers the Captain of this adventure. Please also feel free to join us for further discussions if you care to."

She nods to the others. "Old Zef, Hugo, you know me well. Stay with me friends, if you feel I've been fair and true to you in the past. Teague and Dr Varlock, you may only know me by reputation at this juncture so it is up to you to come with me or stay. I would welcome your skills, your knowledge and your company on our expedition and if you do you will see my own skills with your own eyes.

I do not care to waste any more time, there is much work to be done.”

"Get used to disappointment Barrington,"
she says in a cheerful tone, "You'll be feeling it often," then turns lightly on her heel and exits the room.

OOC: I'd like to make a roll if possible to see if Kat knows of any possible ship situations herself.

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina exits the room feeling confident and focused. She briefly speaks with anyone who follows her, guiding them back into the loud, crowded main room. "Aye, this is much more comfortable," she says as a more natural smile returns to her face. She walks towards the table they had been celebrating at previously noting its state. A few men are sitting there drinking but they quickly run off as she approaches. She chuckles at that too. She deposits anyone who follows her there, she wants to wait to continue the discussions to see if anyone else joins them. "I will return momentarily to continue our business. Opa, keep an eye on things please."

She pauses to critically look the group of Corlandians over, searching for the leader. She takes note of height and weight to assess strength, weapons to calculate skill and especially noting any of those who do not have visible weapons. She fluffs her hair and checks her bosom, laughing to herself again, The girls always looks perfect in this corset she thinks.

She strides over to the group and once she is near, waits to be acknowledged. "Who is in charge here, boys?" she purrs at them.

Remove ads