D&D 5E Low Level Wizards Really Do Suck in 5E

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Ok, so I've been playing a 5E wizard since Hoard of the Dragon Queen came out. And, I have not been especially impressed at all. My PC has been able on a few occasions to cast Fog Cloud to help the party and even once got a Web spell in that did not collapse right away.

But, that's been it in the time that it has taken to get to level 4.3. Yeah, I have been rolling bad for the most part and that's part of it. And no, I did not take the Sleep spell because that was not his thing. But does a low level Wizard have to take Sleep in order to be semi-productive?

Yesterday, we had 4 fights. Being in a "dungeon", I had the following spells prepared:

1st level: Burning Hands, Mage Armor, Shield, Thunderwave, Fog Cloud
2nd level: Scorching Ray, Rope Trick, Web

Btw, I had both Burning Hands and Thunderwave prepped because the PC bard has a magic item that sometimes boosts fire damage. Otherwise, I would typically take Thunderwave for the larger area and take a different first level spell.

The first encounter was against some plant creatures which went down quickly, so I did not pull out any big guns. The second fight was against some lizard creatures that also went down quickly, so no bug guns there either.

In the third fight, I managed to get in close enough to do a Burning Hands. One foe saved, the other failed, 7 points of damage.

In the fourth fight, I managed to hit two foes with 2 of 3 rays from Scorching Ray. 7 points of damage each.

Note: I could have cast some more spells earlier, but I had no idea how many encounters we might have and the first two were pretty darn easy. The last fight was the end of the dungeon, so that was it for that day.

So from 2 Daily spells, a first and second, I managed to do a total of 21 points of damage. This was a great day for my Wizard. I did about 35 points of damage in 4 fights. That's a huge average for my PC. Course, I never did get an opportunity to shine in any other way. And as an Abjuration Wizard, I had already used a Mage Armor spell that day. So 3 spells down and very little gain for the effort.

The PC Rogue did 15 points of damage with a short bow attack in the same round as I did 14 points of damage with a Scorching Ray. All of the PCs managed as much or more damage in a single round many many times then the Wizard can manage a few times per day.

I also just recently noticed that my True Strike followed by Witch Bolt attack (which was my ace in the hole combo) doesn't even work at all. Both spells are concentration and True Strike doesn't work if it gets dropped, so even this minor combo doesn't work and is worthless. So, True Strike only works with instantaneous attack spells.

Concentration typically prevents more than one buff at a time, and the vast majority of spells get a save every single round. On average, that means that if a player pulls out Hold Person or some similar spell, the spell will work for 0, 1, or 2 rounds based on bounded accuracy. So on average, a spell with a save works for a single round.

Many spells like Crown of Madness are a total joke.

Sorry. Not seeing how a low level Wizard is even worth playing anymore. Sure, he can still eventually fly and go invisible and teleport around. But even spells like Web and such which used to do something in earlier versions do almost nothing in 5E. In earlier editions, the odds of getting out of it once the save was failed were fairly low, but now most creatures get out within a round or two. And who the heck fights in a 20 by whatever room most of the time? Web used to be 8x the size it is now (2x in each direction) and there was a decent chance of there being multiple anchor points. A low ceiling is often the player's only hope to get it up and keep it up. It's been seriously nerfed.

I have no problem not shining every single encounter, but when I do cast my highest level damaging spell, I want it to do more damage than what other PCs are doing without casting spells. This might sound like sour grapes, but I have been trying to be patient and wait for my chance to help out the party, but being #6 out of 6 PCs in the "help out the party" department in 80+% of encounters is starting to get real old. I seriously went back and counted up the number of encounters and it's been 20. I helped out (defensively) with Fog Cloud and/or Web in 3 of those encounters. Offensively, I haven't done squat ever. Ever. I might have to talk to my DM about bringing in a PC that can at least do something. It's unfortunate that WotC nerfed my favorite class to the point that it's not worth playing. I'll probably stick it out to 5th level and see if Fireball or Fear helps more.

And yes, I get it that Wizards now have D6 hit points and can cast spells spontaneously. This doesn't help. I'd rather the spells actually do something real and not be spontaneous then they be spontaneous and they hardly ever lock down anyone or significantly damage anyone. And the fact that spells do slightly more damage in this edition doesn't mean much when the monsters have more hit points either. Orcs in 3E had 5 hit points. A single Magic Missile had a 25% chance to take one out. Now Orcs have 15 hit points and the odds of taking one out (using all 3 missiles) are 1.5%.

It just seems that levels 1 to 4 totally blow for a 5E wizard. Even back in the day when the wizard only had a few spells per day, at least those spells did something. Now, the player of the wizard is really lucky if his PC does just one worthwhile thing in an entire day. If he could even Charm a kobold to go deliver a message for him, that would be more of a help than what he's been able to do so far, but he cannot even Charm a kobold. Charm used to be a "trusted friend and ally", now it's "a friendly acquaintance" and now the target knows he's been charmed when the spell ends (and of course, the duration is less). It's really pretty darn sad.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Sleep is your most useful 1st level attack spell. Maybe Color Spray. You have some nifty little tricks for gaining surprise and the like. Tasha's Hideous Laughter can be effective against a single target to slow it from doing damage. But your damage capabilities at low level are far, far inferior. Some of your cantrips can be useful for screwing up creature. Chill Touch prevents healing and Shocking Grasp prevents use of reaction. 1st level damage spells compared to melee abilities are super weak. Higher level the wizard gets better. You're damn weak at low level. How is that any different from past editions? Magic Missile and Burning Hands did poor damage at low level in previous editions. Doesn't seem like a huge difference from past wizards. Start off slow, grow more powerful. At least you can do some consistent damage and effects with cantrips.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Based upon how my wizard player feels about playing his Conjurer at these low levels... I suspect like everything it comes down to individual table style, individual spell selection, and individual DMs, because he has not felt the same problems you had.

Although I do find it a little odd that you chose to be an Abjurer, and yet are upset about your lack of big offensive spell capability? I would imagine that a mage that specializes in defensive magic wouldn't actually be all that offensively skilled or focused, because it's the exact opposite of what he studied to be (both mechanically and within the fiction of the game world). Doing just average damage sounds like what an Abjurer would do and is what should probably be expected I would think.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Sleep is your most useful 1st level attack spell. Maybe Color Spray. You have some nifty little tricks for gaining surprise and the like. Tasha's Hideous Laughter can be effective against a single target to slow it from doing damage. But your damage capabilities at low level are far, far inferior. Some of your cantrips can be useful for screwing up creature. Chill Touch prevents healing and Shocking Grasp] prevents use of reaction. 1st level damage spells compared to melee abilities are super weak. Higher level the wizard gets better. You're damn week at low level. How is that any different from past editions? Magic Missile and Burning Hands did poor damage at low level in previous editions. Doesn't seem like a huge difference from past wizards. Start off slow, grow more powerful. At least you can do some consistent damage and effects with cantrips.

Chill Touch does not prevent healing. NPCs never heal. They never regenerate at low levels. I use Chill Touch quite often and even the disadvantage is a joke because it's a ranged attack.

And no, one cannot do consistent damage with cantrips. I roll low with cantrips all of the time. I would be much better off using a light crossbow because if I hit, my PC would at least do a minimum of 3 points of damage. I do 1 or 2 points of damage with cantrips a lot.

Shocking Grasp does prevent reactions, but NPCs rarely have reactions. And it's touch. Trust me. Wizards are rarely in touch range. A Reactions section is too much extra stuff on a monster sheet for a DM to handle. Except for Opportunity Attacks, monster reactions are almost non-existent. Out of 169 monsters in the DMG pdf, 3 of them have a special reaction. So the wizard is going to move up to the monster, do Shocking Grasp on it, and now the monster cannot do an opportunity attack if the wizard hits? If the wizard misses, then the wizard is next to the monster. Not exactly a good plan.

And stopping a reaction until the start of the monster's next turn helps the wizard to move away, but it's not until the start of the wizard's next turn (which would make it last an entire round). The effect lasts for less than a round which means that it often does nothing for other PCs. Shy of a particular initiative order, a Wizard cannot use this to move in, attack, and move back away and also help a fellow PC. It serves one minor purpose in letting a wizard both attack and move away (course, nothing usually stops the NPC from just following the wizard). This is really a weak effect.

Shield lasts a single turn. It used to last multiple encounters. Mage Armor is weaker (it does have a longer duration).

Sleep used to affect 4 hit dice of creatures. Now, is does 5D6 (~4 HD), but creatures have more hit dice. It used to affect 4 Orcs or 1 Ogre, now it affects 1.67 Orcs or 0.4 of an Ogre.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter used to last multiple rounds and the foe was basically incapacitated. I don't have the book in front of me, but I suspect that the foe gets a save every round now and it's probably a much weaker effect.

There are very few monsters in the MM that are vulnerable to damage, hence, the option to pick the proper damaging spell rarely occurs now.

Sorry, not seeing where wizards are really better off now than they were before. Practically every spell is weaker. Practically every spell has a significantly lesser effect. Practically every save spell results in a save every round. The wizard can only use one buff spell (which tends to be weaker than earlier editions). And the cantrips really are a joke.

Granted, if someone takes an Elven Wizard with a 14 Dex using a Longbow, yes, I can see that particular wizard contributing. But other races???

If you want the world to measure your worth by the damage you can inflict, then don't play a wizard, especially one that specializes in defense.

Any mundane fighter or rogue can inflict damage in combat. If thats all a wizard can bring to the group it is a bit sad.

It's a team sport -- do you expect your low level wizard to rule the battlefield by himself? You have lots of ways to contribute as part of the team, and that fact that you're surviving and fighting through four fights without having to break out a crossbow or dagger is pretty indicative of decent design IMO.

Go play a 1st-to-4th level 1E wizard for a while for some perspective.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Based upon how my wizard player feels about playing his Conjurer at these low levels... I suspect like everything it comes down to individual table style, individual spell selection, and individual DMs, because he has not felt the same problems you had.

It doesn't matter what school a wizard is specialized in. He should be able to affect encounter outcomes when he casts his spells. And no, I do not just cast damaging spells. And before you claim that your wizard player does not feel subpar, maybe you should ask him. I don't show my frustrations at the table and have been trying to be patient. But, I have been playing Wizards since my first PC in the mid-70s.

It's not that my PC has to do a ton of damage. It's that he has to be effective. Somehow. Once a day would be nice. 3 defensive spells out of 20 encounters helping the team basically sucks. The PC fighter helped the team in 20 encounters out of 20. The PC rogue helped the team in 20 encounters out of 20. Sure, the bard might have only been helpful in 17 encounters in 20. Even the ranger/wizard uses Hunter's Mark. Almost always helpful, but he had to multiclass to get there.

Cantrips do damage (shy of a very limited use of Minor Illusion). That's the majority of rounds for PC straight wizards. In an encounter that my PC used only cantrips (which is a significant percentage of encounters due to the Mage Armor suck up one spell a day issue which is very much in character for an Abjurer), he almost always average less than 8 points of damage per encounter (and often 4 or less). That's white noise. It rarely changes the outcome. If my PC was not there AT ALL, that means that maybe one more PC would have to attack one more time to finish an encounter.

Although I do find it a little odd that you chose to be an Abjurer, and yet are upset about your lack of big offensive spell capability? I would imagine that a mage that specializes in defensive magic wouldn't actually be all that offensively skilled or focused, because it's the exact opposite of what he studied to be (both mechanically and within the fiction of the game world). Doing just average damage sounds like what an Abjurer would do and is what should probably be expected I would think.

What defensive magic should I use? Fog Cloud has limited defensive capability. PCs in the cloud are at disadvantage to hit and NPCs attacking them from outside of the cloud are at normal chances to hit due to the advantage (PC is blind) / disadvantage (NPC cannot see target) nullification.

Tell me which level 1st or 2nd wizard abjuration spells can be used to protect another PC and hence, help out the party.

It's nice that you have this opinion, but please, back it up with something. Give me options instead of stating the party line "Wizards are fine. You are mistaken.".

I'd gladly take suggestions for spells that really help. Gladly. Help me out here. Please. I don't see it. Suggest some spells that really help out the party.

You have a wizard in your group. What does he do to "save the day" (or even be somewhat effective)?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
If you want the world to measure your worth by the damage you can inflict, then don't play a wizard, especially one that specializes in defense.

Any mundane fighter or rogue can inflict damage in combat. If thats all a wizard can bring to the group it is a bit sad.

I'm not just trying to do damage. In fact, I rarely cast damaging spells. This was a big day for my PC because he actually did something (first time he cast Burning Hands, first time he cast Scorching Ray).

Help me out here. Instead of just stating an opinion, SHOW me which spells can be helpful.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It's a team sport -- do you expect your low level wizard to rule the battlefield by himself? You have lots of ways to contribute as part of the team, and that fact that you're surviving and fighting through four fights without having to break out a crossbow or dagger is pretty indicative of decent design IMO.

Go play a 1st-to-4th level 1E wizard for a while for some perspective.

"lot's of ways"

Tell me what those are.

Honestly.

I suspect that many of the armchair quarterback people here have not played a 5E wizard (I've played multiple wizards in every single version of the game, including 1E).

Yeah, if a foe has 2 hit points left over, I might be able to cantrip his butt and take him down. It's happened maybe twice in 20 encounters.

What else do you got? I'm really curious.

Of course it's a team sport. My entire focus is to help out the team. My problem is, it almost never happens. I'm the proverbial 5th (or in my case 6th) wheel.

Please suggest worthwhile measurable things a wizard can do to help the party. I'm all ears, honestly. Sleep is about the best I can find and even that is mostly a mook spell.

I have the Suggestion spell and until this particular game day, have had it prepared. Haven't once gotten to use it, but that's mostly because we have left Greenest and been out in the wilderness for the most part and it's not that great of a combat spell. Sure, I could get one foe to leave in combat, but in many circumstances, having a foe leave can be worst than having him stay.

Seriously, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not just trying to do damage. In fact, I rarely cast damaging spells. This was a big day for my PC because he actually did something (first time he cast Burning Hands, first time he cast Scorching Ray).

Help me out here. Instead of just stating an opinion, SHOW me which spells can be helpful.

Is your party doing anything besides going from fight to fight? Is there any exploration or interaction opportunity to use magic creatively? If the campaign is just a series of combat encounters then I would probably want to play another class.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases