Doctor Who s8e12: Death in Heaven [spoilers]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The purpose of the Nethersphere was to make peoples' 'afterlives' sufficiently unpleasant that they would willingly abandon their own emotions. I'm pretty sure Missy would have greatly enjoyed taking part in that process.

Good point. Let us note that, Danny didn't do this. Maybe the Brigadier did not. This may set them apart from (implied) everyone else in the Nethersphere, who chose to have emotions erased before going to cyberman-bodies. We can argue that this difference is what makes them able to resist programming later.

Presumably the simulation is sufficiently true-to-life that killing him that way still works.

Or, the same visual effect is the digital representation of having his routines wiped, because Missy likes the effect and presumably she wrote the darned thing.

An interesting tidbit buried in there - The Doctor has been married 4 times (all deceased) and has children and grandchildren, all missing, presumed dead.

The marriage aren't much of a revelation: there's Susan's grandmother (presumably), River Song, Queen Elizabeth I, and (possibly) Marilyn Monroe.
Okay, the last is easy to forget but I just rewatched the Christmas Carol special.

Shijuro

First Post
So I was watching last week's episode, and thought "is Moffat really going to Ed Wood's 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' for plotlines? How long until he borrows 'Glen or Glenda'?"

And then, we learn who Missy is. Granted, it's a bit more than borrowing your wife's jumper, but still... I'm looking forward to the possibility of a 'Bride of the Monster' rehash next season.

Mallus

Legend
So I was watching last week's episode, and thought "is Moffat really going to Ed Wood's 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' for plotlines? How long until he borrows 'Glen or Glenda'?"
It's Plan 12 From Outer Space!

Glen or Glenda in Doctor Who? Perfect place to debut Eddie Izzard's Doctor!

As for Death in Heaven... good, really good even, but not great. A fitting end to a season where the writing team did a great jobs establishing, developing, and then, umm, climaxing -- no, too naughty-sounding -- resolving their themes. The Master's plot was actually fairly sensible, as far as these things go, and the reveal that the Cyberzombie army was a gift for the Doctor was terrific.

I even came around to liking Michelle Gomez's 'Master as evil Mary Poppins' routine.

The only thing I didn't like was the resurrection of the boy Danny Pink killed. I know it's all science fantasy BS... but up until that point I felt the writing had done a pretty good job at providing explanations for how what was happening was happening.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
So - she was lying about Gallifrey's location, right?

I don't think so, I think there's more to the statement then The Doctor is seeing. Just because its at that particular spot doesn't mean Gallifrey has to be there at that particular time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think so, I think there's more to the statement then The Doctor is seeing. Just because its at that particular spot doesn't mean Gallifrey has to be there at that particular time.

Seems an odd leap to me, especially given that he's standing in a time machine.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Seems an odd leap to me, especially given that he's standing in a time machine.

I still don't think its a lie, only a half-truth. I'm quite certain there is more going on with Missy's statement about the co-ordinates than we, or The Doctor, are aware of.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases