Tech help

Descartes

Explorer
I have noticed I'm unable to reply to posts. I just tried to reply to a post and when i clicked the reply button no window popped up. This happened to me a few weeks ago but I chalked it up to user error. Has there been an update to the site that no longer recognizes older Explorers (i think i'm still running 7 or 8 because another program i use frequently doesn't support latter versions).

I'm posting this here because I didn't see a Tech Help forum.

Janx

Hero
install another browser, like FireFox or Chrome (i prefer Chrome over FF).

In the 21st century, every PC should have at least 2 browsers installed in case there are browser compatibility issues.

Or to the point, we live in a world where that's required in order to workaround issues like yours.

this will let you confirm if it is your old IE7/8 while also avoiding having to upgrade your IE for the thing that requires it.

On the danger side of things, while banking sites are notorious for not supporting the latest browsers, there are security risks for staying on the older browsers. I would be wary of anything that requires an older browser for it means they are not keeping up with security requirements and are putting you at risk by forcing you to stay on the old version.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Clicking the reply button activates the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen. It doesn't open a new window.

If you then click "Go Advanced", that will open a new window.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
install another browser, like FireFox or Chrome (i prefer Chrome over FF).

In the 21st century, every PC should have at least 2 browsers installed in case there are browser compatibility issues.

Or to the point, we live in a world where that's required in order to workaround issues like yours.
Which is horribly annoying for those of us who don't want to keep spending money on hardware in order to run these browsers. Every machine I have access to is more or less old, Firefox chokes them (haven't used Chrome) but older IE versions work just fine on them.

Lan-"for both D+D editions and computer programs: fer gawd's sake make it backwards compatible with what went before!"-efan

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Which is horribly annoying for those of us who don't want to keep spending money on hardware in order to run these browsers.

Well, older versions of IE are about to lose support from Microsoft:

"Starting January 12, 2016, Microsoft is changing its list of supported Windows configurations. Effective that date, the company said in an announcement today, “only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates.” - ZDNet.

So, running those older versions is rapidly going to put you at risk, no matter what we do.

Remove ads