D&D 5E DnD 5ed Auto-calculating Fillable Character Sheet based on Dragon's Lair Design

MadBeard

Explorer
This is fillable auto-calculated pdf form character sheet designed to be used with Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Excellent for beginners because most math is autocalculated and there are lot of tooltips so there is no need to check PHB all the time

Sheet is designed with these in mind:

• easy to use and intuitive UI/design
  • online play (file size is relatively small for easy sharing with cloud service like cubby, dropbox, sugarsync etc.)
  • customization (sheet is not limited to inbuilt choices, so you can input whatever you want in most of the fields)

If you like the sheet, please take a moment of your time and rate it with
Up_Vote_Small.png
. Thank you!

If you like the sheet, you can show your support by buying me a beer with PayPal

Comments

Feel free to comment, report any bugs, ask for features etc.
Best way to do it, is to post in main thread
You can also use Comments section, but I don't get a notification for that so it might take a while for me to answer.

Supported software

Form is created with Foxit PhantomPDF. Sheet is tested and is working in Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader, Foxit Reader and Foxit PhantomPDF.
For best experience use Foxit. Sheet is much faster if you use Foxit than Acrobat.
Sheet isn't tested in other PDF readers or readers for mobile devices, so use at your own discretion.
Please note that you can not use sheet with browser preview or stuff like that. You must use some kind PDF reader.

Export/Import

Sheet contains buttons for export and import form data. Buttons are working in Adobe Acrobat Pro, Foxit Reader and Foxit Phantom (maybe also in other readers but it isn't tested)
In Acrobat Reader this don't work because Acrobat Reader must have "Rights" that requires the Reader Extension server to enable this feature, which is very expensive.
Also there are third party tools which can help you to export/import in Acrobat Reader. Just google it.
Also if you have problems with that, just let me know and I'll try to help you.

Tips for use

Almost all fillable fields have a tooltip if you hover the mouse cursor over that field. Some Dropdown choices also have tooltips so check them out (like Backgrounds, Armors, Shields and protective items).
Some backgrounds from Sword Coast Adventurers guide book (like Cloistered Scholar, Inheritor etc)have several choices for skill proficiencies so read carefully tooltip and select appropriate skill for yourself. Sheet will not choose for you
I'll repeat once again; sheet is not limited to inbuilt choices, so you can input whatever you want in most of the fields.
Every section of data has a CLEAR button which will reset values to default for that section
Reset button will reset whole sheet to defaults
Reset and Clear buttons are not visible in print
Ability generator fields are also not visible in print
If you want to keep file size in check, use the Save As command often. You can overwrite the old file to avoid having many files. When you “Save” a PDF file, incremental updates are appended to the file. This allows the document to be saved more quickly but contributes to the overall size of the file. Choosing “Save As” will completely rewrite the file and result in a smaller file size.

Ability Generator

These are the steps how to use generator

1. Choose method of rolling or point-buy
  2. Click on Generate Abilities button
  3. Info field – Here are values that are rolled. If point-buy method is selected, here will be amount of spent points
  4. Rolled Values – If point-buy method is selected, write here values for ability scores you wish to buy. Note that allowed values for point-buy are 8-18.
  5. Check checkboxes to select to which ability you wish to assing value
  6. Assign Scores button – Click to assign selected values to ability scores fields on sheet.

Thanks/Credits

This sheet is based on sheet design from Dragon Lair, as it is written on sheet itself (D&D 5th Edition Character sheet by Dragons’ Lair|4 pages version|v.1.02en september 2014|www.dragonslair.it), so I'm not taking any credit for design and not holding any rights for this sheet either.

In this way I want to thank you Zelgadis for gaving me permission to use this beautiful sheet, so thank you very much!

Changelog

Ver.1.17 (March, 06.2016.)

• Added "Misc bonus to Inititative" field to be able to customize Initiative score

Ver.1.16 (November, 13.2015.)

• Added subraces and backgrounds from Sword Coast Adventurers Guide book
  • Updated Duergar entry according to Sword Coast Adventurers Guide book
  • Revamped AC calculation and fixed custom AC calculation
  • Added Mithral and Adamantine checkboxes with tooltips
  • Added magic armors, shields and protective items from DMG
  • Point buy Max stat now is 18
  • Added time stamp and number of rolls for ability generator
  • Added Show/Hide button for ability generator
  • Added Clear Ammo buttons
  • Added Save As button for easier use
  • Fixed Passive Investigation tooltip
  • Added and enhanced various tooltips (backgrounds, class, multiclass, armors, shields etc)

Ver.1.15 (July, 07.2015.)

• Added Misc bonus fields for Spell DC and Spell Attack.
  • Fixed dwarf race features based on PHB Errata.
  • Fixed couple of typoes.

Ver.1.14 (April, 16.2015.)

• Added big text box fields. Added toggle buttons for those fields. Toggles between line by line mode or big text box mode.
  • Added button which inserts race traits in Race trait box. It depends on current race/subrace selection.
  • Languages are now automatically selected based on race/subrace selection.
  • Speed is now automatically selected based on race/subrace selection.
  • Changed layout of HP fields.
  • Added Heal button and Clear HD button.
  • Added advantage/disadvantage checkboxes for Passive perception and Investigation.
  • Vision is not hardcoded anymore.
  • Ability score cap is now 30 instead of 20.
  • Fixed bug with Remarkable Athlete.

Ver.1.13 (March, 11.2015.)

• Added races and subraces from Elemental Evil – Player's Companion supplement (Aarakocra, Deep Gnome, Genasi and Goliath).

Ver.1.12 (February, 08.2015.)

• Added Bronze Dragonborn.
  • Added option to double carrying capacity for Barbarians who choose Aspect of the Bear
  • Fixed decimal places for Weight fields.

Ver.1.11 (January, 14.2015.)

• Added Export and Import buttons.
  • Added Passive Investigation field.
  • Fixed Stealth disadvantage calculation for Medium armor master feat.

Ver.1.10 (January, 06.2015.)

• Fixed unarmed defence (Monk and Barbarian) for second class (multiclass)
  • Jack of All Trades and Remarkable Athlete checkboxes can now be checked on/off regardless of selected class – multiclass reason.
  • Added Honor and Sanity scores.
  • Added Hero points box

Ver.1.09 (December, 16.2014.)

• Added Ability scores generator
  • Fixed couple of visual glitches

Ver.1.08 (December, 13.2014.)

• Sheet now works in Foxit reader and Phantom
  • Reduced file size for about 200kb
  • Added weight values for armor and shields
  • Added extra (double) fields for spells on fourth page
  • Added fields on fourth page (Spell DC, casting ability, spells memorized...) for multiclass casters (ie. Wizard/Druid)
  • Removed Sex/gender field on first page. There is gender field on second page.
  • Added two combo fields for calculating total weight on character (Coins weight, fourth inventory column weight)
  • Added button for clearing portrait image (doesn't work in Foxit, yet)
  • Reader version of sheet is no longer needed. One version to rule them all

Ver.1.07 (December, 03.2014.)

• Fixed Gnome Darkvision

Ver.1.06 (December, 02.2014.)

• Added Aasimar and Eladrin as race and subrace options
  • Jack of All Trades and Remarkable Athlete bonus added to Initiative value
  • Quick_Start_v1.xx.pdf renamed into ReadMe_v1.xx.pdf

Ver.1.05 (November, 18.2014.)

• Now you can select additional Saving Throw proficiency, no matter which class is selected (useful for Resilient feat)
  • Added Remarkable Athlete class feature
  • Jack of All Trades moved below basic character information
  • Added Misc bonus fields for Saving Throws and Skills
  • Added Skill proficiencies based on Background choice
  • Couple of cosmetic changes for clear buttons

Ver.1.04 (November, 13.2014.)

• Fixed Saving Throws for Paladin and Ranger
  • Fixed Charisma skill calculation.

Ver.1.03 (November, 13.2014.)

• Added auto-calculation for vision
  • Fixed calculations of Passive Perception
  • Fixed readonly status for skill expertise if skill proficiency is not selected
  • Fixed race ability modifier calculation for Half-Elf, Human (variant) and custom race.

Ver. 1.02 (November, 10.2014.)

• Added Monk Diamond Soul(proficiency in all S.T.) ) in auto-calculation

Ver.1.01 (November, 08.2014.)

• Added Jack of All Trades
  • Fixed Warlock Saving Throw calculation

Ver.1.0 (November, 07.2014.)

Last edited:

Kaireis

First Post
Hey, love the sheet!

Just wanted to say that there seems to be a mistake where the CHA skills are being calculated using the Wisdom modifier. Thanks!

Pedro Garrano

First Post
Those sheets are beautiful.

However, a bug: Paladins are proficient with Wisdom and Charisma saving throws, not Strength.

Edit: Also, Half-Elves (and Variant Humans) should be able to adjust their racial modifiers.

Last edited:

MadBeard

Explorer
Thanks guys for reporting.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice this thread. I'm new here so I'm still picking things up :)

I fixed all this things you reported. Now I'm thinking how to add skill choices based on class and background choice. Of course I'll also put bypass to override this calculations.

Kaireis

First Post
Thank you for all your work!

I don't have Acrobat, so I'm not sure how you would program the default skills based on background and class. I do have access to Acrobat Pro at work but I'm not supposed to be playing with it...

One suggestion/request I do have (not urgent) is to put in a check box for "Superior Athlete" Champion Fighter feature. It works sort of like "Jack of All Trades" but rounds up instead of down, and only works on physical skills.

MadBeard

Explorer
I already have an idea how to implement skill choices based on class and background but its a enormous amount of code. Maybe I'll find some easier way.

I'll check Superior athlete feature. I didn't read all of class features so please bring it on ;)

SLN

Villager
Hi,

Thanks for this sheet it's so much time saving.

However I was wondering if you will allow to choose another Saving throw proficiency as the feat Resilient allow.
I did chose this feat but I can't select the Characteristic which I intend to become proficient with.
Except this little bug it's just super clear and easy to use.

MadBeard

Explorer
Hi SLN

I'll add this and Superior Athlete in my next update.
And I just figured out how to set value to default inside javascript without clicking on button. So I'll fix race ability modifiers field for half-elf and human (variant). I'm still learning :)
For now after you choose half-elf or human (variant), race ability modifier field is not read-only so you can type in bonus. But in some fields remains ability modifiers from race that was previously selected, so be sure to clear them.
Also I'll fix this in next update.

Thank you for feedback

Remove ads