Big Hero 6

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Saw it this weekend. I went with my 10 year olf nephew and his 14 year old brother. This way I wouldn't look like that 30 something dude that goes alone in a dark room full of kids.

We all enjoyed it. It was funny, visually well done, some good action scenes and touching if you like that sort of stuff. I have two issues with the film. The plot was too predictable. We know who the vilain is as soon as he makes his appearance in the film. It is not anecdotal as most of the film is about trying to find out who the baddy is. The other issue comes when "all is lost" in the film. Hiro says to his teammates something like "use your intelligence, try to find another angle to the situation to solve your problem". I'm all for promoting education, science and intelligence, but that was lazy. These supergeniuses had to be told to think? Maybe if he told them what to do or something.

Anyway, I read a few of the comics back in the day, so I knew what or who BH6 was. I like what Disney has done with Hiro, Baymax and Go-Go Tomago. I like that Honey Lemon wasn't as sexualized has she was in the comics and the reboot of her purse, but it became less original since everyone got their powers from similar tech. My problem is they all have Iron Man suits or superscience devices. In the comics Wazabi uses Qi to form blades/knifes, Fred actually transforms into a Zilla sort of beast. When watching I hoped that Fred was going to get some chemicals spilled on him by Honey Lemon to gain his Fredzilla shape. Didn't happen. Maybe BH6 2 will give us more variety?

Still, a flick for the entire family.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm all for promoting education, science and intelligence, but that was lazy. These supergeniuses had to be told to think?

If it is at the end of action sequences - perhaps more it is that the *audience* needs to be informed (Greek Chorus style) that a different approach is necessary? A seven year old who just got pumped up by action may want for some redirecting of his attention to what's actually going to happen...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If it is at the end of action sequences - perhaps more it is that the *audience* needs to be informed (Greek Chorus style) that a different approach is necessary? A seven year old who just got pumped up by action may want for some redirecting of his attention to what's actually going to happen...
Nah, it was lazy storytelling, but I'm glad you could find something to nit pick in my review.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nah, it was lazy storytelling, but I'm glad you could find something to nit pick in my review.

Um, no. I was asking a question, and giving the thought behind the question. You know, trying to have a conversation? Sheesh.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Admin here. Goldomark, if you're posting reviews here, people get to comment on them and discuss the movie. That doesn't mean you should get defensive, and it definitely doesn't mean you get to accuse folks of being trolls. It's okay for people to disagree with you -- that's normal, and name-calling or insults definitely isn't needed. Honestly, someone considering a different interpretation of something in the movie isn't an attack on you, and you don't need to respond as if it is.

If this is unclear, please shoot me a PM.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. By all accounts, it's great fun.

Scorpio616

First Post
The lardball cat Mochi was hilarious and it was a shame they didn't make the scene with him in rocket boots.
jxytkssjtpclqwpjahoz.jpg

Remove ads